PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead Chaps or Pants?

meanmechanic
11th October 2009, 14:07
I want to extend the riding season up here in the northeast and it's already getting cold. From the waist up I got it covered but I need some opinions. The big prob I guess is going to work in the cold and coming home in warmer weather or visa-versa.:)

SpartanDen
11th October 2009, 14:23
Chaps are ok for cool weather. There is that one particular area that remains unprotected though.... I would like to find a pair of over pants, something you can slide on over your jeans or slacks for cold weather rides. Should start looking, but not sure where??

IronMick
11th October 2009, 14:24
I ride in the cold, until they salt the roads. Lowest temp ride so far was -7`C. Good for up to 1/2 hour below 0`C.

I have seen a rider with leather pants one time only. It was indoors at the college. He regretted buying pants rather than chaps as he had to wear them indoors all day.

I wear thermal long johns, jeans, and leather chaps; thermal long sleeve undershirt, sweatshirt, leather jacket with lineing zipped in.

I paid a lot of money 15 years ago for a leather jacket with the zip-in-out lineing. Still using it. Good investment.

Peg Scraper
11th October 2009, 14:37
+1 IronMick

They do make chaps with linings that zip in and out too.
I've been looking at them lately.
Local store here has them.

You could try using rain pants if you have them.
That would cut the wind at least and cover the crotch that chaps don't.

gypsysailor
11th October 2009, 14:48
When I ride in real cold I dress for cold then put on my rain paints to cut the wind, I quit at about 20 degrees, I know, that ain't "real cold" for some of you. Thermal underware ( 2 pair) jeans and rain paints. Have worn chaps over that at times. No way would I want leather pants, you just lose too many options.

runingmouse
11th October 2009, 15:02
It's my fingers that give me the worst time. Because of constant preasure on throttle.

So unzipping your going to want chaps. If you nead a nature hike along the way.

Peg Scraper
11th October 2009, 15:08
Another option you could think of is Carhartt, Dickies, WorkForce insulated bids or coveralls.
They come in a couple different levels of insulation.

As for the leather pants idea, use them as over pants.
Buy a size that would fit over your other layers.
Then you don't have to wear all day once you get to work/school.

Shadowdog500
11th October 2009, 15:10
When I was a teen growing up in the north east (Philly)I used to ride year round because my bike was my only transportation. I even road right after the plow trucks cleared the streets of snow. I did get stuck With my bike at work during the three foot deep blizzard of '83, that was only supposed to be flurries. I usually wore long johns and a goose down jumpsuit And heavily insulated gauntlet style gloves. The only thing that ever got cold were
my feet after my boots would get wet.

Get a good snowmobile type jumpsuit gloves and longjohns and you should be fine.

Chris

humpbackbob
11th October 2009, 15:13
Fox Creek carries leather overpants. Usual quality but expensive, around $350 I think:wonderlan

Jas Sportster
11th October 2009, 15:23
pair of snow pants i have been using a pair for about two years and they work great you would have to fix the cuff at the bottom for the draft but an easy fix they zip off easily and are very insulated

meanmechanic
11th October 2009, 15:41
The way I see it the outer shell needs to be either leather or ballistic nylon and they must be lined. The big choise here is between chaps or pants. When we're below mid 30 degree temps I really wouldn't think of riding. It's more like getting caught in the cold ie. leave for work it's ok then the local weather says it will be in the low 50's to high 40's in reality it's hovering in the high 30's.

ryder rick
11th October 2009, 15:41
+1 for insulated Carhart Bibs, get them a little on the long side.

MN Mailman
11th October 2009, 16:15
Without reading the entire thread, I've always thought chaps are worthless vs. pants.

If you go on the slide for life, guess which body part is almost certainly guaranteed to go scraping along the pavement ? Yep, the part not covered by chaps.

I'd like to keep my butt, thanks.

Check out sportbike gear; many more options available. Also, fwiw, if you wear a jacket and it's not attached to your pants, it's not doing much good.

Here's what I wear, along with Sidi boots and some leather gloves, steaming hot, cold, and everything in between. Except for the jacket, all stuff from my sportbike days.

http://newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/teknic/blade_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Fieldsheer_Street_Pant--620651.html

AB,Frank
11th October 2009, 16:16
I use wind pants(more like a bib style) over my jeans...they have zippers front and sides(top to bottom) and draw strings at the leg bottom, picked them up at the surplus store for $25 ,they had black,green,and blue..Oh they're also waterproof...I think it was a good buy.

Icefire
11th October 2009, 18:35
http://www.jaminleather.net/Product_Pants_Mens_Biker.asp
$69.00 plus shipping for leather overpants, several styles. They also sell chaps and leather pants. Good quality stuff...I buy all my leather there...

PaulDM
11th October 2009, 18:41
I use "Olympia" over-pants for winter riding along with "Gerbings" heated jacket liner and gloves and have ridden over 500 miles in blowing, blustery winter weather and been comfortable. Without the heated clothing I would have been good for about 1/2 hr. then would have needed shelter.

The over pants zip up almost to the waist and have two liners, one of which I have never used to date and are good from about 50's to low 10's then I am not ridding as the roads are too slippery.

jharback
11th October 2009, 21:23
I wouldn't wear leather pants, they're just too impractical. I wouldn't be caught dead in chaps, unless of course it's in the bedroom. :doh

meanmechanic
11th October 2009, 21:43
I wouldn't wear leather pants, they're just too impractical. I wouldn't be caught dead in chaps, unless of course it's in the bedroom. :doh

I guess you don't get the temp swings I get here in NE USA. I think I'm gonna go for the zip up overpants w\liner. My father in law(BMW Guy) says that the materal type pants are as strong as the leather, easy to dry if wet, and easy to clean. He rides more than most people do in cars.

merc
11th October 2009, 22:39
I bought 6 wool like wash mittens at walmarts for 3 bucks each.
I unsewed them and laid them out flat.
Then sewed them together to form a large diaper.
I straped it to my seat furry side up.
Now when I ride in cold weather I can fold the front up over my crotch and keep my self warm.
Leather on the rest of my body including legs.
When my fingers get cold I just hod my hands on the motor.
A sweatshirt under my leather jacket, a neck and face warmer and full face helmet allow me to ride in any temp until it snows.

far2paranoid
11th October 2009, 23:08
I've got leather pants for the long hauls, but otherwise just flannel-lined jeans and a pair of long johns keeps me comfortable riding in the NYC area all year round.

I've also taken to wearing my fire department bunker pants when it gets REAL cold (anything below 10F). I get a lot of weird looks but I stay extremely warm and they're certainly more resistant to rips/tears/wear than snowmobile pants.

MANIAC SYLB
11th October 2009, 23:12
I live in South East Texas on the Louisiana boarder, If you check out jamminleather.com they carry leather bibs that I find to work great in cold weather. M coat is a trad. biker style but I still get a draft of air on my chest so the bibs work great. I think I paid around 150 for them. Then spray them down with camp dry and you will be good to go. Hope this helps..

matridge
11th October 2009, 23:15
i ride anytime the roads are clear. i wear a ski mask, and a face cover over that. i wear long sleave with sweatshirt and leather jack and vest over all that. wool socks longunderwear and jeans. a pair of gaulent style gloves with thermal insulation. and like merc said, after a while ill put my hands near the motor at red lights to warm them up even more.

jbustoff
12th October 2009, 00:08
i start with the one piece union suit long johns fron l.l.bean the best!! i ussually throw them in the dryer for about 10 mins then put them on layer up with thermels t neck chaps are for me. as for the hands on the throttle ,...the throttle boss is a huge help use the heel of hand for most pressure....i have nevr gone more than 10 tays without riding, keeping neck and face warm i find is the key

Hopper
12th October 2009, 04:19
It's my fingers that give me the worst time. Because of constant preasure on throttle.

Try good quality ski gloves and get leather extended cuffs stitched on them so the wind does not get up your jacket sleeves.

kennit
12th October 2009, 05:11
For cold weather leather overpants are the best. They have zippers on the side so I zip them off when I get to work. I got mine from Fox Creek. You pay a little more but the quality is great, they are made in the USA with american leather, and you can't beat their customer service.

colonelangus
12th October 2009, 05:14
well being im from the westcoast of canada its damn wet at times .i have the HD fxrg leather overpants and love them, but for the summer chaps would be nice.. many days it was wet but to hot for over pants .

VEEROD
12th October 2009, 06:21
Buy some relaxed fit jeans for winter riding, they'll give you more room for the thermals or go with 3.0 under armor and lined chaps. Also HD came out with an electric vest that runs off a lithium battery that you re-charge so you won't need the pig tails or put more of a work load on your battery.

metallicarlos82
12th October 2009, 06:46
i never understood the reason for chaps. for cold weather? ive seen lots of riders wear them all year long. to me i think its people trying too hard to be a biker. just my opinion. i stick with baggy jeans.

Gone
12th October 2009, 15:32
snowmobile bibs work great when its real cold, waterproof also, and cheap. check out clothing made for bicycling in the winter, and for the hands, a gauntlet put on the bars over the whole grip area works great, you can get away with brown derby gloves and not lose hand feel for the controls. i will NEVER wear chaps, the image of Eugene Levy in a pair in the movie Armed and Dangerous was enough to make that decision.:wonderlan

Gr8ful Ryder
12th October 2009, 15:51
+ 1 on the fox creek leather over pants / full protection and on and off like chaps

scottericsonon
12th October 2009, 17:10
Another option you could think of is Carhartt, Dickies, WorkForce insulated bids or coveralls.
They come in a couple different levels of insulation.

i do this as well for wintertime rides......

i have a carhartt set from when i worked outdoors all year round and they're great.....

tough as nails too

jharback
12th October 2009, 20:43
I've been thinking of trying these fleece lined fire hose jeans. Has anyone tried these?

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/mens/mens-pants/86050.aspx?feature=product_15

meanmechanic
12th October 2009, 23:21
I've been thinking of trying these fleece lined fire hose jeans. Has anyone tried these?

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/mens/mens-pants/86050.aspx?feature=product_15

A guy I work with orders all his clothes from here because of his size. He says their stuff is all good.

Rehit
13th October 2009, 00:00
Fox Creek carries leather overpants. Usual quality but expensive, around $350 I think:wonderlan

i have a pair and i love them.
they have full length zippers and you wear them over your jeans.
you just take them off when you get where you are going.
they will fit in a saddle bag easily.
chaps do not keep the "boys" warm...

bro'ken
13th October 2009, 02:48
I'm a firm believer in dressing for the crash, not the ride. In cold weather there are several factors that lower your odds as a rider. #1, you're riding out of season and the cagers are even less aware than in warm weather. #2, cold tires and slick pavement increase your odds of going down. I'm betting on leather vs. jeans. If you are concerned about fashon statements or comfort after you park it, go for the leather overpants. Easy on and easy off. Just roll em up and stow em. I use chaps for those cool mornings and leather jeans when it's cold. My old rigid XL breaks down so much I have to make sure I'm warm enough to wrench by the side of the road too!!

A good source for all leather at reasonable prices with great service is leatherup.com

ericfreeman
13th October 2009, 03:24
I love my leather chaps and vest (guy at work says I look like I'm one of the Village People!!) for the warm summer riding but winters here in the PNW are just too cold for them. I tried the leather overpants but found them to be too bulky for my liking. The waist area digs into my gut when I'm all layered up and it gets uncomfortable. Now, I use some FirstGear overpants along with their TLP jacket. All textile and armored and very comfortable. The overpants have double ended zippers so they're very easy to put on and take off quickly. Removable liner so you can still wear them on warmer days, but I don't.

Eric

Weo
13th October 2009, 05:35
For the cold fingers issue, putting on rain overgloves or some other type of windproof glove over your regular gloves extends my riding temps down about 10-15 degrees (which would be around 30 degrees under 40mph, and for 20 minutes or less highway at 40 degrees F. Beyond that, I'll have to pick up some heated gloves. Luckily, my Tourmaster winter gloves have a rain liner that folds out and over so I'm good for 99% of my cold weather riding.

My experience with leather pants was the old style Alpinestar Twin pant (discontinued; there's a newer V Twin pant thats much different).

I used the pants for long highway rides into IL (although recently bought some Motoport 1000 Cordura pants for those 2 hour bumper to bumper traffic jams into Chicago during the summer). They're the old style Alpinestar Twin pant. I love them. Trick is to wear Under Armor summer sports long johns underneath so you're skin can breath away from their nylon interior (both in winter and summer). They're still hotter than jeans though. Unfortuntaely they are discontinued.

Although the Alpinestars are pricey, the old Twin pant fit me like my regular jeans (Levi's 505), unlike other brands I've tried, and I was comfortable wearing them after I got to my destination. In all honesty, wearing Under Armor summer long johns and Smartwool Light Hiker socks lets me wear my waterproof boots and leather pants anywhere from 30-90 degrees F. Although my toes do get a little cold if I'm putting in more than 15 minutes highway between 30 and 40, but it makes up for not overheating me when I get to my destination.

The newer A-star V Twin pant has leg zippers among some other things, but I don't need another leather pant so I've never tried them.

VEEROD
21st October 2009, 05:10
i never understood the reason for chaps. for cold weather? ive seen lots of riders wear them all year long. to me i think its people trying too hard to be a biker. just my opinion. i stick with baggy jeans.

Hey Chief, I lived in CA for 8 yrs and never wore chaps and I didn't own a car there. However I don't remember temps being 21-28 for a high either unless I went to Big Bear. If you ride all year in moderate temps all year I wouldn't own lined chaps either but I don't. They help a great deal in cold weather 20-40 degrees 20-40 degrees they work well. But 45 and above I'm with you it's jeans for me as well.
Man I miss CA:smoke

Hopper
21st October 2009, 06:59
I used to ride in Montana in jeans down to about 30 degrees F when the ice made it too dangerous for me. But it killed my knees stuck out in the wind. I have a lot of trouble with my knees these days and often wonder if that was to blame.

luisuie
21st October 2009, 08:23
I've also taken to wearing my fire department bunker pants when it gets REAL cold (anything below 10F). I get a lot of weird looks but I stay extremely warm and they're certainly more resistant to rips/tears/wear than snowmobile pants.[/QUOTE]

I have been thinking about doing the same. My bunker pants are so comfortable when its cold.

Tater
21st October 2009, 08:51
I have an old pair of bird hunting pants that do a fair job, they are reinforced (double layered) in the front of the legs for briar protection...They seem to have shrunk a bit though and are harder to get on over my Wranglers...lol...
Have a good one...Tater...

luisuie
28th October 2009, 10:21
i do this as well for wintertime rides......

i have a carhartt set from when i worked outdoors all year round and they're great.....

tough as nails too

I just ordered a pair of Carhartt biberalls. I got the extreme arctic quilted with 1000 denier cordura in black and I saved $60 off of retail! I can't wait to get them. I was going to get the Harley Davidson leather and nylon overpants, or the new heated overpants but they are overpriced. I could get three sets of Carhartts for the price of one HD set.

luisuie
9th November 2009, 07:35
Yup, UPS delivered the Carhartts last Wednesday and I have been riding with them ever since. I am very happy with them as they do keep me warm. Well made and easy to slip into and take off. I got the extreme artic quilted biberalls for only US$98 with free shipping from Workngear.com. They are listed for $109 but if you add them to your cart and then enter your information like you are going to buy but then don't complete the transaction that moment they send you a coupon for 10% off so that you do buy them. (Wow, talk about a run on sentence.)