PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead Blew the stroker up, then got bit by a dog...

joestuff
11th October 2009, 22:09
So I was out in the county today tuning and test running the my stroker. Clutch was slipping right around the top of the rpm range, so I tighten it up a bit more, then raised some heck. She was running really strong, but I cannot get the clutch to hold really good. I decided I was done for the day, then started back home. Then boom, oil ever where, hit the kill switch and drifted in to a drive way. Broke two front cylinder studs off, two others plain old missing. So I go to walk up to the house to get the address from the owners to tell the two driver, and to let them know why I'm sitting there. Here comes the pit bull mix. Got me in the back of the leg, then ran away. The owners came down and confirmed the dog is trained to do that, and has it's shots. I decided to let it go. Time to have a beer. Damage photos forthcoming. Probably not too bad, just broken off studs to get out of the case, and re-hone on the cylinder. Rear was starting to come off also...

RRB
11th October 2009, 22:15
Jeez!! Bad luck, Joe! Especially the follow up of being bitten by a dog.

Hope the damage is minimal and you've got the bike back on the road soon.

Monte03
11th October 2009, 22:26
Jeez Joe,
Atleast You Got to walk away...
Bet the Dog's Owner rides an EVO???
Stay Well, the bike can be fixed..

Shadowdog500
11th October 2009, 22:26
Hope you and your bike are both OK and will only require minimal repairs.

Chris

72Iron
11th October 2009, 22:29
That just plain sucks.

75sporty
11th October 2009, 23:53
Crappy deal about the bike, that beer is well deserved.

The dog is trained to bite strangers on the leg? Um, that's a little odd isn't it?

sportyblue
11th October 2009, 23:58
What a crappy day...........................Hope tomorrow is better. Did you see the dog tags........just for sure?

Magneto Sportster
12th October 2009, 00:47
Man Joe, that's a bummer. Hopefully you can get it all back together without TOO much effort. And I would have given that dog a boot to the teeth! (and told the owner i was trained to do it.....haha)

Red Red Kroovy
12th October 2009, 00:55
Wow. This was a bummer of a way to end a ride.

The dog is trained to bite strangers on the leg? Um, that's a little odd isn't it?

I'd hate to be the mail guy for this house.

russzx6
12th October 2009, 00:56
Lucky the dog wasn't trained to aim for your crotch!! :yikes

shotgun46
12th October 2009, 01:24
Now why in the world would any train their dog to bite strangers I would put my dog down if it ever bit any one ? you will get it back together ! heal quickly

misterT
12th October 2009, 01:46
Man that really sucks on both accounts, I think I would get ALL NEW studs for both cylinders. Bolts and or studs stretch everytime they are torqued so eventually they get fatigued and break. In fact the ARP bolts in my race motor have to be measured everytime they are removed for stretch and replaced when out of tolerence.

ShaneMarie
12th October 2009, 03:22
Please do every child in that region a favor and report what happened to animal control. Include the owner's statement about the dog being trained to do so. There's no excuse for such stupidity and it could be a very tragic outcome the next time a girl scout comes to try to sell cookies.

daggar rider
12th October 2009, 03:27
LOL thats a shitty day, but it was funny the way ya put the "dog was trined to do that" made me laugh.

good luck, hope its not a big deal

AsSeenOnTV
12th October 2009, 03:50
Please do every child in that region a favor and report what happened to animal control. Include the owner's statement about the dog being trained to do so. There's no excuse for such stupidity and it could be a very tragic outcome the next time a girl scout comes to try to sell cookies.

A+ to that. I luv dogs, but if they bite a person, they should be on record. If it is a problem dog, sadly he needs to be put down before he kills a child.

bobstyle
12th October 2009, 04:19
LOL, sorry. This sounds like my kinda luck. I'm gonna go open a beer and drink it for you.

Jafa39
12th October 2009, 04:25
I would be inclined to go round and shoot the owner rather than the dog......

joestuff
12th October 2009, 04:43
Well, the dogs owner said the gate should have been closed, and if it would have been, I would have seen the beware of dog sign. That being said, training a dog to be aggressive is really risky and dumb. Bad for the dog, bad for the owner. The owner was respectful to my wishes and showed me the rabies shot tag, so I'm gonna let is go and write it off as a really bad day. As a side note to dog owners, around here, if the cops show at your place for any reason, and your dog is aggressive to them, they shoot it. It has grown to be such an issue that the gov is investigating the cops for being trigger happy on dogs.

The bike, more updates on her later, but I think it's just gonna need new studs and bolts. Nice reason to make an early winter project of it, time to polish and detail.

pattywagon
12th October 2009, 05:30
The little bastard better be lucky it wasn't me ,cause he would of been running off with a case of Lead poisoning. Anyway get better and hope you didn't do to much damage.

Takingabreak
12th October 2009, 06:29
The dog is lucky It wasn't me, it would have had mutable gunshots.

I have ben bitten in the past, I don't like it.

Now, as to the law, the dogs owner could be in deep trouble.
If there were no posted signs stating be ware of dog or no trespassing, and assuming it was not late at night, the dog has to be on the leash or retained.

95 sporty
12th October 2009, 06:50
I think theres a country western song there somewhere.

Monte03
12th October 2009, 11:55
Joe,
S&S may still make Longer than stock base studs that go a bit deeper into the case to catch some more meat of the case, you may have to use the taller KR style or Colony style base bolts.

thefrenchowl
12th October 2009, 12:05
Hi Joe,

Sorry to hear about your woes...

Same thing happened to me some years back on the 67 CH, sadly broke the front cylinder as well... Earlier this year, same thing on the 58, but I did feel the engine was not quite right... In 6 miles, 3 of them on the front were gone already...

Morality, strockers on early XL cases = check your base nuts VERY often...

And if it's bored as well, the KR type 7/16 nuts are a must cause the 9/16 wrench don't fit proper due to the thicker cylinder walls...

Patrick

merc
12th October 2009, 13:09
what's a stroker?
(sounds perverted)

1982ironhead
12th October 2009, 13:40
a motor with a stroke longer than stock

dragon62
12th October 2009, 13:46
I think theres a country western song there somewhere.

:roflblack:roflblack:roflblack....:D:D

ShaneMarie
12th October 2009, 14:09
Well, the dogs owner said the gate should have been closed, and if it would have been, I would have seen the beware of dog sign.

A lot of small children can't read, and apparently the owner isn't very careful about ensuring that the dog doesn't attack people it shouldn't. You're going to feel terrible if you see a kid on the news next month and didn't say anything.

keeno
12th October 2009, 14:52
Just crap on the drive and tell them 'you haven't been trained yet'!! :D

joestuff
12th October 2009, 15:42
A lot of small children can't read, and apparently the owner isn't very careful about ensuring that the dog doesn't attack people it shouldn't. You're going to feel terrible if you see a kid on the news next month and didn't say anything.

That is true. Let me see what needs to be done.

Gr8ful Ryder
12th October 2009, 15:46
At least it wasn't a Dire Wolf / good luck on the repair/

Moon Wolf
12th October 2009, 16:26
Aggressive dogs are unacceptable. Period. Not the dog's fault. Maybe the owner should be put down.

jmathis7410
12th October 2009, 18:07
for starters I must say I live in Chicago, an area that has tried to outlaw pit bulls and other aggressive dogs, with a mastiff/ridgeback mix and a pit bull. I also have several other reptiles and small animals that I have rescued. Needless to say I am an animal lover.

As stated in the original statement, this was out in the country. The dog was givin a job to protect his land and that is what he did. not sure if everyone on here knows this but pit bulls have locking jaws. which means the dog can very easily lock on and shred flesh for a long time no matter how much abuse is givin to the animal while it is locked on. this did not happen. In my opinion this dog has a very good temperament and the owner has trained the dog extremely well.

The owner should have had the gate closed, I agree. but these kinds of arguments get the wrong thing accomplished.

and to JoeStuff...I am very happy this happened to you and not some short tempered lunatic. You handled the situation very well. If you live out in the country I am sure you know a lot of farms have guard dogs that are trained for this. I applaud your attitude towards the whole situation.

My dogs are very calm and would never bite anyone. But they are city dogs. They are very well trained but I still wouldn't want to see what would happen if someone broke into my house and hurt me. they were never trained for this aggressive behavior but they are protective dogs. this dog was trained to protect his land and that is what he did.

you have to look at the situation in which the incident happened. there was probably a loud noise and Joe probably wasn't in his normal state of mind.

I hope your wounds heal well Joe and best of luck with the stroker

Moon Wolf
12th October 2009, 18:22
The point is that dogs do get out, and as someone stated, Joestuff could have been a child, and the dog bite could have killed a child. No, training dogs to "protect" property in this matter is not acceptable.

95 sporty
12th October 2009, 18:31
My brother had german sheperd that bit a kid in the arm.The dog was in the back of his pickup in his driveway and the kid was using his thumb and finger like it was gun teasing the dog and the dog bit him.It left a couple puncture wounds but it was'nt a mauling or anything.They sued and my brothers homeowners ins. and they paid $25,000.It is a different day and time nowadays,when i was a kid it seemed like all the neigborhood dogs used to run around the neigborhood and I got bit several different times but the families worked it out and shook hands.

Gone
12th October 2009, 18:43
i live 3 blks from a high crime city, Detroit, probally one of the highest crime cities in the country, and my little pit mix keeps all the undesirables out of my yard. dont wanna get bit, dont go in the yard. if she doesnt deter them, my buddies Smith & Wesson will... maybe why thats all of the old iron drag bikes have their base nuts safety wired..

jmathis7410
12th October 2009, 19:25
The point is that dogs do get out, and as someone stated, Joestuff could have been a child, and the dog bite could have killed a child. No, training dogs to "protect" property in this matter is not acceptable.

wrong, the point is he was on someone else's property. the dogs property.
this was in the country. a kid should not be wondering around by himself out in the country. and even if a child was to be wandering around by himself and decided to go through a gate on to someones property, they would pose much less of a threat than a full grown man. especially after a loud, startling noise, and I would imagine a rather upset Joe. I know a bit of profanity would have been streaming from my lips if this just happened to me. This dog didn't brutally attack Joe. if it did Joe would have a bit more than a single bite.

milmat1
12th October 2009, 21:05
Did he say he went through a gate ?? Thats a whole different story if so !

But, If the dog was not contained and bit me under those same circumstances that dogs owner would be paying for my New Engine.....LOL

I hate people who Want a Dog but Don't even care enough about there dog to be responsible for it. If you choose to have a dog (I have Three) Then you must understand the responsibility that comes with them. If Not you have no business owning a dog. And you don't deserve the loyalty they so gladly offer !

milmat1
12th October 2009, 21:16
Well, the dogs owner said the gate should have been closed, and if it would have been, I would have seen the beware of dog sign. That being said, training a dog to be aggressive is really risky and dumb. Bad for the dog, bad for the owner. The owner was respectful to my wishes and showed me the rabies shot tag, so I'm gonna let is go and write it off as a really bad day. As a side note to dog owners, around here, if the cops show at your place for any reason, and your dog is aggressive to them, they shoot it. It has grown to be such an issue that the gov is investigating the cops for being trigger happy on dogs.

The bike, more updates on her later, but I think it's just gonna need new studs and bolts. Nice reason to make an early winter project of it, time to polish and detail.

I have heard of this several times around here, Just another reason I hate Cops ! Hurt my dog your going to the hospital !! And I wont care that your a cop !
Heck we had an incident about 2 yrs ago where a Deputy opened fire on a COW ! With his Assault rifle , That had gotten out of the pasture field. He was promptly Fired and now works the counter at a local convienent store....LOL

joestuff
12th October 2009, 23:53
We had a deal here a couple months ago. People where shipping pot to houses, then the pick up guy would know the date and address of the delivery, follow the UPS guy, the get the pot before the owner took it in the house. They picked the Mayor's house one day. The cops knew pot was being delivered, but they did not know about the pick up guy. When the mayor's wife took the box in, the cops raided, and shot both his labs, in the back. Men with rifles in body armor afraid of labs. I don't think so.

To the original thread, I was very calm, only my wife and kids can piss me off, not machines(was not always that way). The dog bit once, did not growl or bark, and ran back to the top of the hill to wait for me there. I went back down the hill. So I think the dog was well trained. It really could have took me out. I agree they are taking quite a risk to teach a dog to do that, and I don't think it's right. The postman, emergency personal, or other visitors, maybe with kids, could be a real issue, but it's a free country, do as you please, but be prepared to accept responsibility for you actions.

Anyway, I'm over it, time to start fixing the bike.

pattywagon
13th October 2009, 03:21
Not much on mean dogs, I have 3 large dogs and one bad ass weeny dog but If one of them ever bit me or one of my grandbabies they would be instantly shot ,no ? asked. About three months ago here in Luling a lazy as mother took one kid to bus stop and returned to take a nap while the 2 yr old snuck outside and was mauled by a pit, and wasn't found till her lazy ass got up, this Baby was covered in fire ants and very much dead. mean dogs suck!!!!

tocino
13th October 2009, 03:34
We had a deal here a couple months ago. People where shipping pot to houses ... They picked the Mayor's house one day ...

You must live in PG County!

One of the dogs was shot running away from the SWAT team. :yikes

95 sporty
13th October 2009, 04:20
Dogs need love and attention and want to be trained because their goal in life is to please their owner.My german sheperd would probably not bite someone for coming in the yard but he sure would bark and not let someone he don't know just walk up.One time a guy borrowed a sledge hamer and was returning it while I was under the hood of my car.I saw out the corner of my eye the dog with his hair up and heading behind me .I turned around and said "no" and he stopped.The guy was returning the sledge hammer walking up behind me.Another time some guy walked in m yard and I did not see him with a rifle.It was a high powered pellet rifle but that time the dog grabbed him on the calf and he was looking up to me for approval to bite.I made him let go and all he did was hold him did'nt even break the skin.Those were the only two times I had close calls but in both cases the dog was doing what he's supposed to.He is part of my family and he goes everywhere with me so he knows what I expect from him and he is a great dog.Tie a dog up or isolate them then you will have a mean dog or a one that digs up the yard or chews everything up,but they don't know any better.Its not their falt.

doyle
13th October 2009, 12:24
Hey Joe,
Did you need a Bambalance... Sorry couldn't resist.

Good luck with the bike.

bobII
13th October 2009, 13:09
not sure if everyone on here knows this but pit bulls have locking jaws. which means the dog can very easily lock on and shred flesh for a long time no matter how much abuse is givin to the animal while it is locked on.

This is complete bullshit. Please stop spreading ignorance. There is NOTHING genetically different in any dog's jaw. The three breeds generally referred to as 'pitbulls' tend to be very tenacious which makes them latch on and stay latched on. Their jaws DO NOT LOCK and CANNOT LOCK.

To the OP, I would report the dog. Hope you and the bike heal soon.

Gone
13th October 2009, 14:42
This is complete bullshit. Please stop spreading ignorance. There is NOTHING genetically different in any dog's jaw. The three breeds generally referred to as 'pitbulls' tend to be very tenacious which makes them latch on and stay latched on. Their jaws DO NOT LOCK and CANNOT LOCK.

To the OP, I would report the dog. Hope you and the bike heal soon.

+1 on that. a pits jaws are just very strong, and it may seem like they "lock", but as was said, this is fear mongoring propaganda spread by people who dont know the truth. BTW, i just drilled my base nuts for safety wire, im gonna try to avoid that with mine. and it looks cool

DMW
13th October 2009, 15:03
Im tired of the DOGS getting the bad rep..when in truth its the OWNERS fault ALL the way.I bet if the OWNER was put to sleep if his dog bit someone..this shit would stop.I heard that HUMANS have locking brain cells..once they lock onto bullshit its almost impossible to make them let go.its true read up...BAN BAD OWNERS.!!!!n idiots.

ericfreeman
13th October 2009, 15:36
BTW, i just drilled my nuts for safety wire, im gonna try to avoid that with mine. and it looks cool

Now THAT sounds painful!!! Guess safety wire is cheaper than jewelry though!!

Eric

jmathis7410
13th October 2009, 15:52

OK, fine. they don't actually have a locking mechanism in their jaw or bone structure. but they do have incredibly strong jaws and although they do not have structural differences, they do have muscular differences. I was mearly trying to get a point across that this dog was not set on attack mode but was more interested in giving a warning.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=417536&l=69d4db285b&id=1640602259

I have big dogs and I am a huge supporter of pit bulls. I have actually petitioned against anti-pit laws several times in Cook County IL, where they were almost outlawed on multiple occasions. Why were they almost outlawed here? Because people were fighting them and sometimes when they lost they were let go and formed packs around some of the slums. they were attacking people in packs of 6 or 7, but that is all they new and were left for dead. They are just trying to survive the shit life that some lowlife gave them. I do not agree with aggressive behaviors and I think some of the readers have taken this a bit too far. Do I think this was the best situation, not even close. But it appears this was a well behaved, well trained, non aggressive dog doing his job.

mk2wilson
13th October 2009, 16:06
for starters I must say I live in Chicago, an area that has tried to outlaw pit bulls and other aggressive dogs, with a mastiff/ridgeback mix and a pit bull. I also have several other reptiles and small animals that I have rescued. Needless to say I am an animal lover.

As stated in the original statement, this was out in the country. The dog was givin a job to protect his land and that is what he did. not sure if everyone on here knows this but pit bulls have locking jaws. which means the dog can very easily lock on and shred flesh for a long time no matter how much abuse is givin to the animal while it is locked on. this did not happen. In my opinion this dog has a very good temperament and the owner has trained the dog extremely well.

The owner should have had the gate closed, I agree. but these kinds of arguments get the wrong thing accomplished.

and to JoeStuff...I am very happy this happened to you and not some short tempered lunatic. You handled the situation very well. If you live out in the country I am sure you know a lot of farms have guard dogs that are trained for this. I applaud your attitude towards the whole situation.

My dogs are very calm and would never bite anyone. But they are city dogs. They are very well trained but I still wouldn't want to see what would happen if someone broke into my house and hurt me. they were never trained for this aggressive behavior but they are protective dogs. this dog was trained to protect his land and that is what he did.

you have to look at the situation in which the incident happened. there was probably a loud noise and Joe probably wasn't in his normal state of mind.

I hope your wounds heal well Joe and best of luck with the stroker

Bullsh!t, Pit bulls DO NOT HAVE LOCKING JAWS!!!! I hate seeing people say that cause it is not true. They do have very powerful jaws, but they do not have locking jwas. If you own a pit you really need to do some research and stop spreading this BS

bobII
13th October 2009, 16:09
OK, fine. they don't actually have a locking mechanism in their jaw or bone structure. but they do have incredibly strong jaws and although they do not have structural differences, they do have muscular differences. I was mearly trying to get a point across that this dog was not set on attack mode but was more interested in giving a warning.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=417536&l=69d4db285b&id=1640602259

I have big dogs and I am a huge supporter of pit bulls. I have actually petitioned against anti-pit laws several times in Cook County IL, where they were almost outlawed on multiple occasions. Why were they almost outlawed here? Because people were fighting them and sometimes when they lost they were let go and formed packs around some of the slums. they were attacking people in packs of 6 or 7, but that is all they new and were left for dead. They are just trying to survive the shit life that some lowlife gave them. I do not agree with aggressive behaviors and I think some of the readers have taken this a bit too far. Do I think this was the best situation, not even close. But it appears this was a well behaved, well trained, non aggressive dog doing his job.

Okay...I'm with you now. Yes they are strong dogs. But they still do not have the strongest bite. Test data actually shows that German Shepherds have the strongest bite. 'Pitbulls' are just stubborn and won't give up.

Regardless...I don't want this thread to continue spirally off topic. I also don't want it to get shut down because we spun off into a conversation about pitbulls. My apologies to the OP.

DMW
13th October 2009, 16:21
actually it was the Rottweiler that had the strongest bite on the bite meter..in the k-9 group..even beat the wolf.

Monte03
13th October 2009, 16:50
Did This Turn into a Canine Thread?????? WTF??
Hey Guys, Joe blew up his Bike and that Sucks,

Joe, rebuild the Stroker, ride back there and as you pass, Kick the Mutt in the Nut Sack!!!
(All, I have and Love Dogs so Chill on any BS reply back)

Gone
13th October 2009, 17:02
Now THAT sounds painful!!! Guess safety wire is cheaper than jewelry though!!

Eric

and they cant come off, no matter how many times im married:wonderlan

tocino
13th October 2009, 18:23
If voting is allowed, I vote calling your rebuilt bike 'Dog Bite' :)

ShaneMarie
13th October 2009, 18:42
I keep thinking about the original post. A dog who runs up and bites you from behind is a fear biter, particularly if it runs away afterward. It has nothing to do with training, aside from an obvious lack of it and lack of early socialization. A dog with protection training or who was even genuinely trying to protect the owner would stand between the owner and the threat. This is a dog who wasn't exposed to strangers during a crucial phase of development, so he will attack the new scary thing from behind. The dog will do this in any area, not just his own home. In fact, he may be more likely to do it if he escapes the yard and roams elsewhere, as he will be more easily frightened in a strange situation.

I also agree with tocino that Dog Bite would be an excellent name for a bike. Or a rock band. :)