PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead S&S Super B tuning help!!

tattootodd
21st October 2009, 02:43
Ok I have a crane Hi 4 ignition and a super b carb....runs great till HOT then it starts to crap out BAD... All i have found out is i don't have the VOES on it...Is that my problem? It wont take full throttle just cuts out like it starving for fuel...Any Ideas????Thanx in advance!!

Fred in WV
21st October 2009, 03:15
Sounds like your coil could be the problem

tattootodd
21st October 2009, 03:17
Ok i have a friends ill try it!!

russzx6
21st October 2009, 03:23
Does it have the heat insulation block between the carb and intake manifold?

Gone
21st October 2009, 03:24
I thought the S&S Super B was for race applications only? I have an S&S Super E on mine with a Dyna S ignition and it runs great. You can check S&S's web site for tuning help.

tattootodd
21st October 2009, 03:24
No clue what ya mean!!!

russzx6
21st October 2009, 03:33
Carb insulator block

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/russzx6/spacer-block-002.jpg

tattootodd
21st October 2009, 03:36
Nope sure dont have it......hummmmm just manifold to carb

russzx6
21st October 2009, 03:43
Maybe get a feel of how hot your carb is getting when it heats up. Aluminium is a good heat conductor

tattootodd
21st October 2009, 03:45
k ill try coil i have a long time local mech tell me it would do that with this VOES thing anyone know about it?

Fred in WV
21st October 2009, 03:57
My 82 XLS has a S&S E carb and uses the insulation block and runs fine so Russ could have nailed the problem. I would still try a known good coil if available.

tattootodd
21st October 2009, 04:01
My buddy is buillding a 88 sporty and has a new one ill try it...I need to order the insulator also...The old coil is a pile now i think about it...Its some aftermarket chrome pile!

76 sporty
21st October 2009, 20:20
make sur ethat coil off the 88 is the same resistance as the one you need for your bike, if they are different it wont work for you and then you will be chasing a problem that you dont have because of the wrong part. My super b is amazing on my 76 the only difference between the b and the e is the e has an excellerator pump on it cause the b is an old school carb.

Ivan RoachCoach
21st October 2009, 20:31
...can get hot enough to boil the gas in your float bowl.

1982ironhead
21st October 2009, 20:44
is the insulator block and 2 o rings the only gasket between the carb and manifold?

the cowboy way
21st October 2009, 20:59
yes:smokeyes:smokeyes:smoke

tattootodd
22nd October 2009, 02:05
Ok changed coil and seems to run alot better....I also have no Insulator block...but carb seems like its not getting warm to the touch even just sitting there idleing. But i do think i need a better shielded gas line..Its kinda close to the pipes so fuel might be getting to hot.. So im going to replace it also.Soon as i get the rear wheel back on the way i need it. Thanx again you guys are way helpfull.

Sporty77
22nd October 2009, 23:31
Couple of things, I run the Super B minus the insulator block and mine does just peachy. If it's cutting out you have a tuning issue. Remember, you have to roll on the throttle with this carb. Sounds like a lean condition or improper timing. What pipes do you have. If you are running drag pipes larger than 1 3/4" on a stock motor, that could be an issue as well.

Check for intake leaks with the bike hot. Maybe something is getting out of whack while at operating temp. Just start making sure everything is correct in the fuel system then move to timing. It's usually the carb or it's fitment.

The Super B is hell bent on making power when running properly so once you get it right you'll know. On that note, what jets are in the carb. What pipes and air cleaner are you running? Also, where is your air screw set?

I bet this is tuning.

tattootodd
23rd October 2009, 03:31
1 3/4 hand built pipes no baffle! Air screw bout 3 turns , It is running better but still not perfect ...I'll pull it apart tomorrow and check the jets. Also with this Crane HI4 I'm told i need this damn VOES setup...Anyone no if this is true?

tattootodd
23rd October 2009, 05:04
Ok just found out some info...Bike came from sea level to 4200 feet ...So....I always get confused on this do i need to go richer or leaner?

shawzy
8th May 2012, 00:44
I feel your pain my 77 ironhead with super b cuts out when I get on it hot or cold. I've tried every thing with tuning it i'm ready to change carb to a Shorty.

FearlessFrisbee
8th May 2012, 01:29
The Instruction Sheet No.100 f or the Super B can be downloaded from here:
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/download/ssmanuals/superb.pdf

Crazywolf
8th May 2012, 01:41
With my super B I used to have problems until I put baffles in the pipes.
That got rid of high speed sputter, and the occasional cough at 30mph..

shawzy
8th May 2012, 01:45
Really? Hmmm do you have 2"pipes and are you at the s&s recommended strings?

shawzy
8th May 2012, 01:47
Settings not strings sorry

gypsybiker45
8th May 2012, 02:32
The Super B is a very simple carb to work with, You do have to roll on the throttle however as no pump is standard on it. So dont just nail it and expect no sputter. The insulator is not as critical as on the Super E but does help, I dont use one myself, but I know others that swear by them. Another thing is are you running the S&S manifold that matches the carb? I used a stock HD one for a bit, the manifold and carb bores did not match(HD was smaller) and I actually had better off idle response(less sputter), but not nearly as good top end. a 295 intermediate jet is what most IH owners use, but go up if its lean.

Also 3 turns out is WAY too far for the idle screw on a Super B 1 1/2- 1 3/4 is about normal.

gypsybiker45
8th May 2012, 02:40
make sur ethat coil off the 88 is the same resistance as the one you need for your bike, if they are different it wont work for you and then you will be chasing a problem that you dont have because of the wrong part. My super b is amazing on my 76 the only difference between the b and the e is the e has an excellerator pump on it cause the b is an old school carb.

Not quite, the Super B is quite a bit longer and acts like a tunnel ram on a car.
Super E is much more modern, more sensitive circuits, and accel pump making it more streetable. I like the huge Super B for looks and WOT performance.

ultra...good
8th May 2012, 02:45
Not quite, the Super B is quite a bit longer and acts like a tunnel ram on a car.
Super E is much more modern, more sensitive circuits, and accel pump making it more streetable. I like the huge Super B for looks and WOT performance.

Chevelle has done a lot of back to back dyno runs and posted them here; by the way, thanks for that Chevelle. Anyways, one of the things he compared was the SU, CV and Super B. The Super B won by about 5 hp max, and was consistently 2-3 hp over the others for the entire range. Like I said, back to back, no other changes besides the carb.

After I saw those results, I went out and got a Super B. Haven't had the time to put it on yet, but finals are over this week, and then just maybe.....

FearlessFrisbee
8th May 2012, 02:57
My Super B has an accellerator pump, an add on or so I hear.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/jpfearless/IMG_6077.jpg

FearlessFrisbee
8th May 2012, 03:05
From the S&S Super B carburetor manual:

NOTE - S&S Super B carburetor requires the use of a two cable, pull open - pull closed throttle assembly. Any chassis including 1980 and earlier stock H-D models equipped with a single cable throttle mechanism requires conversion to a two cable, pull open - pull closed type. I only have one cable on mine.

Drag pipes - For Knucklehead, Panhead, Shovelhead, and Ironhead Sportster engines, 1-7/8" O.D. drag pipes with straight cutoff end 28" to 30" long will work well with almost any camshaft and/or other performance modification. 2" O.D. drag pipes are not recommended for any applications except very large competition engines. I guess I have to change my pipes. :frownthre

Flying Monkey
8th May 2012, 03:35
I only have a single cable, too... but the return spring on the carb itself seems to work fairly well.

And, my kill switch works... just in case.

shawzy
8th May 2012, 04:08
Ya I read the s&s manual too it talks allot about the jets so gonna get a bunch and see what works best will post my results..or frustrations :-) ... I have a dual coil ..4 spark plugs too..so my set up may differ from others...oh and i'm only using a single throttle cable too lol stuck a spring in there for return..thanx for the feedback guys