PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead battery size

Gone
23rd October 2009, 01:10
i was wondering what the general concensus is on the minimum size battery, in amps, needed to run the ignition? im making a custom oil tank and would like to run the smallest battery possible. i will be running a Cycle electric gen, its a kick only, and i have redone the wiring so the headlite does not come automatically. i am probally gonna run an HID headlight, and tail also. real low amp draw and it helps me see.

Ivan RoachCoach
23rd October 2009, 15:31
...They're small enough to not be a burden, you don't have to dick around with acid levels, and they'll crank over ANYTHING.
Don't be misled by quoted CCA ratings and the like --- use a modern battery that doesn't require acid.

I use a V-Rod model on my '74 with a CE generator, Tech Cycle starter, and enough bullet/gauge lights to outfit a Peterbilt.
It cranks like a monster, with all of that stuff, each and every time.

Gone
23rd October 2009, 16:23
AGM for sure. i dont have a starter, besides my leg, and wanted to use the smallest battery possible. i found one for KTM dirt bikes, at 4 amps i was wondering if it was enough to run the ignition while starting. i figger it is, i plan on running a single fire electronic, and like i said, i have it wired so the lights dont come on all the time. gotta be able to shut them off when evading:smoke

Ivan RoachCoach
23rd October 2009, 17:00
...I'm also a big believer in having the option to be stealthy, when necessary.

CTFS/QCB
Viva Los Bastardos!!!

Gone
23rd October 2009, 17:15
...I'm also a big believer in having the option to be stealthy, when necessary.

CTFS/QCB
Viva Los Bastardos!!!

i even have the tail/brake light on a switch, never know when you have to disappear

IronMick
23rd October 2009, 17:22
I'm surprised EVERYONE doesn't do the headlight cut-out routine... I'm also a big believer in having the option to be stealthy, when necessary...

Also handy to shut off the headflite when the gen poops out and you are running on just the battery.

Ivan RoachCoach
23rd October 2009, 17:54
...on ONE toggle switch that's mounted on the left-side end cap of my electrical box --- actually a piece of brass stripper pole.
On the right-side end cap is my ignition switch.
Both are easily within reach of my fingertips.

My routine is: Start bike, let it warm up, turn on lights, go.
When I get home, the lights go off as soon as I start up the parking garage ramp.

CTFS/QCB
Viva Los Bastardos!!!

SpringerSam
23rd October 2009, 18:35
4 amps should be plenty for ignition only...