PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead Need buddy seat measurements

bertandernie
25th October 2009, 02:24
getting ready to fab up front and rear bracket for my new/old buddy seat, so I am looking for some dimensions.

1. distance from seat to frame, measured at both front and rear bracket
2. thickness and width of rear bracket, I have on hand 1/8 x 1.5”, so if it is close, I will use what I have.

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/bertandernie2009/DSC00950.jpg

drhach
25th October 2009, 02:32
I don't know what kind of hurry you're in, but if you can wait, I see these brackets on ebay now and then. The OEM parts are pretty stout.

bertandernie
25th October 2009, 02:35
I don't know what kind of hurry you're in, but if you can wait, I see these brackets on ebay now and then. The OEM parts are pretty stout.

gotta fab them, putting a 65 seat on an 81 and I don't want to do any welding or cutting to the frame to fit oem brackets

bertandernie
25th October 2009, 16:07
Hey guys, can anyone help, my sunday choices are fabricate the seat brackets or shopping with the wife, Help!!!!!!!!!

Moon Wolf
25th October 2009, 16:24
I'm not certain what you want. I have a buddy seats and plenty of brackets, but I don't have one mounted, so I can't give you measurements to the frame.

The rear bracket is a simple thing. Just a bent piece of flat iron. Here are the measurements

It's excacly 9.5" wide, outside to outside.

From the top of the bracket to the top of the bolt slot is 3"

From the top of the bracket to the bottom of the bracket (and bolt slot) is 3 5/8 " (sorry, just using my ruler--measuring tools are out in the shop and it's raining.

The bracket is made from 3/16" x 2" stock--quite herky.

If you have the seat, you should know the rear bolt holes are 5" center to center, with one side being 5/16 round and the other side slightly elongated (5/16 x 1/2).

Incidentally, there are two different front brackets. The early one, until 61 or 62 is shorter. Maybe they changed it because the seat was denting the big tank.

Hope this helps.

bertandernie
25th October 2009, 20:07
[QUOTE=Moon Wolf;2243877]I'm not certain what you want. I have a buddy seats and plenty of brackets, but I don't have one mounted, so I can't give you measurements to the frame.

thanks Moon Wolf, sounds like I can use the flat bar I already have. I will just remount the rear fender and work out my seat to frame measurements from there. thanks again

calfunk
10th November 2009, 14:30
Bert! Wonder if you have installed this seat? Could you share the photo?

is it significantly higher than the stock seat?

drhach
10th November 2009, 14:55

Here's a swap I did. The height difference is pretty significant. For my long legs that's a good thing

Before:
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t31/drhach/Sportster/IMG_4505.jpg

After:
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t31/drhach/Sportster/IMG_4659.jpg

I like it much better.

bertandernie
13th November 2009, 00:47

Brackets are done, they are out to be powder coated. They should be back by this weekend, but we are headed to the Bahamas for my sons wedding, so it will be a couple weeks before I can compare seat height for you.

calfunk
13th November 2009, 01:34
Here's a swap I did. The height difference is pretty significant. For my long legs that's a good thing

I like it much better.

Thanks for sharing drhach, I like the buddy seat very much for its vintage look. But I'm only 5'7'', worried it will be too high for me.