PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead Possible gas gauge?

pjsobotta
25th October 2009, 05:16
http://www.steelthundercc.com/assets/sportstertanks%20assets/20032.jpg

this is pretty much the gas tank i had put on my 79 sporty with the dual filler holes, I was wondering does any1 know where I might be able to get an after market fuel gauge to go in the left side filler

xl1200r
25th October 2009, 05:25
I've been known to take off the fuel cap while going down the road and looking down into the tank to know how much fuel I have left...

pjsobotta
25th October 2009, 05:29
im still a fairley new rider so im not really comfortable with trying to gauge how much gas is left in my tank and figure out how many miles i can go before im running on fumes... ive had it run out on me once... the night i got it the guy didnt tell me how much gas was in it and i didnt think to look so about a mile from the next station it died i had to send my wife to get a gas can and a gallon

sgvrider
25th October 2009, 06:16
i dont have one, just when it starts to cough, switch to reserve and look for a gas station

williamv1203
25th October 2009, 06:39
http://www.steelthundercc.com/assets/sportstertanks%20assets/20032.jpg

this is pretty much the gas tank i had put on my 79 sporty with the dual filler holes, I was wondering does any1 know where I might be able to get an after market fuel gauge to go in the left side filler

This tank would require a float type gauge as it doesn't have the pass thru tube for the electronic sensor type that I have.

I have a FXDWG tank I am prepping for installation. I found my gauge, H-D original needle type, on good ole ebay for a few bucks. Many companies sell them.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/williamv1203/Image006a-1.jpg

gusotto
25th October 2009, 07:41
im still a fairley new rider so im not really comfortable with trying to gauge how much gas is left in my tank and figure out how many miles i can go before im running on fumes... ive had it run out on me once... the night i got it the guy didnt tell me how much gas was in it and i didnt think to look so about a mile from the next station it died i had to send my wife to get a gas can and a gallon

garbiker
25th October 2009, 07:50
I saw one fitted from a outboard gas tank. was made to fit the bike tank had the float that droped in the tank. the gas fill hole was changed to take the outboard gauge. . worked ok.

derekenz
25th October 2009, 08:07
Your a sportster rider...we don't need no damn fuel gauge! when it starts sputtering switch to reserve

boilermaker
25th October 2009, 12:37
Your a sportster rider...we don't need no damn fuel gauge! when it starts sputtering switch to reserve

Yup then run like hell to the nearest gas station hopefully its not more then 10 miles away:p

IronMick
25th October 2009, 14:04
Getting used to not having a fuel gauge is like getting used to the turnsignals or the right side shift. A little scarry for a new rider, but you get used to it very quickly. I use the odometer as a gas gauge - get fewer miles in cold weather or under hard throttle.

DEEP DIVER
25th October 2009, 14:09
Getting used to not having a fuel gauge is like getting used to the turnsignals or the right side shift. A little scarry for a new rider, but you get used to it very quickly. I use the odometer as a gas gauge - get fewer miles in cold weather or under hard throttle.

That's the way I do it.
Reset every time I fill up and I can now guess when I need a refill before I hit reserve.

pjsobotta
25th October 2009, 17:48

yeah i have the petcock on there but to be honest i just recently found out what the positions are because all the letters and everything have been worn off so i didnt know where on and reserve were and figured off was horizontal