PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead What idle RPM is good?

JDHpiano
27th October 2009, 23:57
I was wondering what everyone sets their idle (RPM) speed at.
Can there be harm if it is too slow?
I happen to like the sound of a slow idle, but wonder if I might hurt oil flow?

Hopper
28th October 2009, 00:05
900-1000 rpm is good on a Sporty.

Too slow can wear the crankpin bearing.

jharback
28th October 2009, 08:45
Yeah, 900 rpm's is the absolute minimum. You need to keep the pressure up so the oil gets up in to the heads. I always use to keep mine at about 1000 to be on the safe side.

Ags
28th October 2009, 18:31
I don't have a tach, so I just opened my oil tank at what I though sounded like a correct idle, and looked for a good oil flow. Good enough for government work.

I hope.

ryder rick
28th October 2009, 18:53
It's not the crank pin that gets starved for oil, it's the things that get splash lubricated that starve.

That slow chugging idle out in the driveway in the AM that sounds so cool, is the sound of your pistons smearing themselves up and down the cylinder walls due to a lack of oil.

After ruining 2 sets of pistons I no longer warm up my motor, I warm up the spark plugs and drive away as soon as the motor will safely take the throttle (no stalling in traffic)...

900 RPM MINIMUM!!!!!! and it needs to be higher when it is cold to get the thick oil spread around (especially thrown up on the pistons).

83XLX
28th October 2009, 19:14
Got mine set right at 1000 RPM. If you don't have a tach, set it just below the RPM threshold that makes the front wheel jump up and down... :laugh

thefrenchowl
28th October 2009, 20:32
Too low an iddle rpm means the flywheel effect is not fully "turned on", good recipe to square up your big end and main rollers despite oil being present...

It's called "brinneling" in engineering terms...

Patrick

einheit 13
29th October 2009, 00:04
I run mine from 1000-1300 or so...I like a good oil flow over what it sounds like idling. If you ever own a bike with a scavenge fed top end (Triumph) , you'd understand.

L.A.M.F.
8th September 2010, 18:55
bringing back an old topic for my first post after intro.. My 75 idles around 1000 in neutral and when I shift it into 1st gear idles at about 1500. does this sound about right?

Smerch
8th September 2010, 19:25
bringing back an old topic for my first post after intro.. My 75 idles around 1000 in neutral and when I shift it into 1st gear idles at about 1500. does this sound about right?

Why does the idle increase 500 RPM when you put it in gear?

L.A.M.F.
8th September 2010, 21:07
sorry its the other way around, around 1500 in Neutral and drops in 1st. when I turn the idle knob so the idle is lower in neutral and then put it into 1st the generator light flickers. any ideas of where to start??

mikehammer
8th September 2010, 21:32
Adjust your clutch, and unplug the Genny light. :D :cheers

ReNNie
9th September 2010, 00:05
yeah, gen light is a flicker over here too

ezmerf
9th September 2010, 04:35
sorry its the other way around, around 1500 in Neutral and drops in 1st. when I turn the idle knob so the idle is lower in neutral and then put it into 1st the generator light flickers. any ideas of where to start??
This sounds like clutch could stand some attention but gen light flkrn @ idle well it's a generator it needs to be turning some R's to generate.That's why alternators are different they produce same level of power at idle as high R's.

IronMick
9th September 2010, 05:29
It is normal for the idle speed to drop when you put it in 1st gear. The clutch is not fully released even with the clutch lever fully pulled in to the hand grip. It is possible that carefully following the clutch adjust procedure [from the Sticky or from the factory service manual (99484-78)] will make this better but most likely it will not make it go away completely. This is the way these bikes are from the factory.

The generator does not charge the battery at idle so the gen light will flicker. This is normal.

L.A.M.F.
9th September 2010, 15:20
thanks alot! feel much better now