PDA

View Full Version : how so much can be inclined a sportster in a curve,

vic
4th May 2005, 05:11
how so much can be inclined a sportster in a curve, almost the same as a sport or not too much someone has experience with this or pictures of sportys on curves

SmokeyXL
4th May 2005, 05:21
Stevo has a pic in his sig

74FeHeadXLH
4th May 2005, 05:22
how so much can be inclined a sportster in a curve, almost the same as a sport or not too much someone has experience with this or pictures of sportys on curves
Take a quick look at stevo's signature...pretty darned good look at a Sporty goin hard in a curve :smoke

xena
4th May 2005, 05:24
Lol. I can guarantee my sporty is never going to see a lean like that with me on it. Not unless I had it on a circle track. The curves on our roads are way too unpredictable to ride like that.

Jimbo999
4th May 2005, 06:02
When I lived in Allen, Texas. There was a full 270* banked turn onramp to the expressway with an alternate road to go back on the ramp and do it again.
As long as no one was coming you could go round and round....I scraped pegs and then raised the pegs till I got dizzy many times.......Mucho FUN. :smoke

XLFREAK
4th May 2005, 06:03
Depends on how close behind me the squad car is.. :laugh

Grizzly
4th May 2005, 08:36
Depends on how close behind me the squad car is.. :laugh
Exactly :laugh

gronk62
4th May 2005, 10:24
Take a quick look at stevo's signature...pretty darned good look at a Sporty goin hard in a curve :smoke
:laugh Yeah and Stevo's got the LARGE kahuna's to ride like that.
I don't trust my tires that much :laugh

Schmidtrock
4th May 2005, 14:38
Lean it til you see sparks !!! :tour :smoke

XLFREAK
4th May 2005, 14:53
Lean till yer pegs scrape- the tires will hold the line. Just make sure ya don't go into the curve too hot; yer better off accellerating through the curve and looking through with yer head & eyes like MSF recommends. Have fun!

raysheen
4th May 2005, 15:22
Lean it til you see sparks !!! :tour :smoke
amen!!! love those twisties! :clap :D

sunkenloot
4th May 2005, 15:31
When I lived in Allen, Texas. There was a full 270* banked turn onramp to the expressway with an alternate road to go back on the ramp and do it again.
As long as no one was coming you could go round and round....I scraped pegs and then raised the pegs till I got dizzy many times.......Mucho FUN. :smoke

What exit was that? Thats my backyard! :clap

Correct me if Im wrong here guys but doesnt the max lean angle depend on alot of things as well such as, Lowered or raised suspension (or set up in general), road conditions, crap hanging off the bike, tire pressure, ect, ect.

I had played with the idea of attaching some sort of small hidden iron or steel flexable skid underneith the pipe so that It acted sort of like a curb feeler. Better yet at night, when I dig into a turn I could spark things up and just grind it in. :frownthre Nahhhh

wickedsprint
4th May 2005, 16:04
like 32 degrees with the new roadsters, and like 37/37.5 with the sports.

cantolina
4th May 2005, 16:20
Well, with the bit higher center of gravity we've got comparatively, I'd say Gronk made the best point.......

How fast ya got the nertz to go? lol The faster you can do it, the more incline you can get....

Of course, there's the traction displacement factor, too....

Isn't physics fun? :smoke

Kath
4th May 2005, 17:00
:laugh Yeah and Stevo's got the LARGE kahuna's to ride like that.
I don't trust my tires that much :laugh

Yeah, that's it...sure!!! I don't lean like that cuz I don't trust the tires!

Now that's what I can tell my husband when he says I slow down too much for the curves! And, of course, cuz I don't have kahunas so there's another inadequacy from which I suffer ;)

Jimbo999
4th May 2005, 17:09
What exit was that? Thats my backyard! :clap

http://myweb.cableone.net/jimbo999/web/Map.jpg

Mabey you'll see some of my old peg marks........ :laugh

vic
5th May 2005, 02:01
Lean till yer pegs scrape- the tires will hold the line. Just make sure ya don't go into the curve too hot; yer better off accellerating through the curve and looking through with yer head & eyes like MSF recommends. Have fun!

OK,
Thanks by the advises, In reality I want to know what so good is the stability of the sportys in the curves, I was riding sports bikes for arround of 25 years and I would like to know if I can to lead the sporty almost same, by the answers I assume that YES.

Thanks everybody for the answers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
wickedsprint.-
*( like 32 degrees with the new roadsters, and like 37/37.5 with the sports )*

spoofer
12th May 2005, 02:34
I didn't know I scraped my pegstil I replaced them a couple of weeks ago with fancy chrome ones. The rubber on the bottom of the Pegs was worn off.

Spoofer
1200c 2004

Tony1790
15th May 2005, 10:36
It seems my pipes grind b4 my pegs scrape on my 1200C

Desertfox
15th May 2005, 15:35
Well, with the bit higher center of gravity we've got comparatively, I'd say Gronk made the best point.......

How fast ya got the nertz to go? lol The faster you can do it, the more incline you can get....

Of course, there's the traction displacement factor, too....

Isn't physics fun? :smoke

Although the pic in Stevo's sig has a pretty cool lean into the curve, it is a longways from the knee dragging leans you see on road racers. Look at the frame geometry on say .. a Buell Firebolt and a Sporty. Most Sporty's are too long and low for serious curve carving. Especially with forward controls. As the twisties are not really my thing any more it doesn't really matter much to me. But if I were into twisties big time, I'd definately have a Buell. A Sporty is really the wrong bike to test your skill in the curves with.

75oldschool
15th May 2005, 15:52
ya i'd like to try mine.but i don't think the apes will let me lean to far in to turn.:yikes

xl1200r
15th May 2005, 17:42
You won't lean with a sportbike, but you'll get over pretty far. I've touched the pegs on both sides on mine, both at around 40 mph or so.

nutball73
19th May 2005, 13:30
I'm from 30 years of sport bike riding, and I reckon my '05 handles plenty well enough - the biggest problem is ground clearance, and the suspension's cr*p.

Within 50 miles from new I'd scraped the pipes, and now I've ground the right-hand peg through the metal, and a big chunk of the front muffler's scraped off. On the left the footrests worn out and I've scraped the jiffy stand a few times.

The front tyres scrubbed pretty much to the edges, the rear's got a few mm on each edge which I can't get at until I do some suspension work.

First is to get the V&H sideshots delivered & fitted - that'll stop serious metal hitting the road. Then on the shopping list will be fork springs and longer shocks and maybe shorter footrests. Then stickier rubber, and so it goes on...

BTW - when I took the bike it for it's 1000 mile service, the dealer recorded "substantial damage/wear to both footrests and exhaust" and made me sign it as a disclaimer - LOL :D

ace57
20th May 2005, 19:04
i agree with you both, tony17 and nutball, on my Low (yeah i know, its low), i scraped my brand new pipes first time out yesterday....grrrr... of course it was partially due to my going around a curve with a pothole/depression. lean+poor road= scraaape!

yep, the suspension on my low is crap, man talk about bottoming out over not too severe bumps. yech!
I've GOTTA get some Progressives/front&back

ace57