PDA

View Full Version : can an S&S E bolt up?

rob76xl
23rd May 2005, 14:36
does an S&S Super E bolt up to the existing manifold? or do i need to order the manifold too. It looks like it. and i could save a hundred buck$ by ordering the carb without the manifold and air cleaner. the air cleaner i have fits the Keihin and Bendix and S&S, so that''s not an issue.

flathead45
23rd May 2005, 16:17
I believe so , but I have never done it so I can't say for sure

order the carb see if it works , if not get the intake

Y2K
23rd May 2005, 20:15
does an S&S Super E bolt up to the existing manifold? or do i need to order the manifold too. It looks like it. and i could save a hundred buck$ by ordering the carb without the manifold and air cleaner. the air cleaner i have fits the Keihin and Bendix and S&S, so that''s not an issue.

I think you may have to buy an intake,I remember buying one to put a Super B on my Iron head way back when....
What year bike and what carb does it have now and why an S&S? I wouldn't waste the money unless you've got a big inch stroker or something.A stock Keihin CV with a couple minor mods will work great on most bikes.
Y2K :smoke
Edit:Eye yey ye... now I see! it must be an old ironhead :headb I think the Super will bolt on an Evo that had a CV but I'm pretty sure you'll need the intake for old Iron :D

frank
23rd May 2005, 22:57
i used a s&s intake to bolt my super e up----but i didn't have a stock manifold, so i don't know for sure.

rob76xl
24th May 2005, 00:54
the old keihin is original equipment, and has it's share of problems, absolute hell to start after a good heat soak. i did install an insulation block, and almost no effect.
i have considered getting a bendix with adjustable main jet. but found out that i could get a super-e without manifold and cleaner for about $220. which is about what the bendix costs. the manifold side of the S&S "looks" so similar it's gotta be wrong. just looking for a few opinions. then i'll ignore them and do what i want anyway... just like the 16 year old i am inside...

Y2K
24th May 2005, 02:45
I've seen a CV carb on an ironhead before but I don't know if the adapter was home built or available aftermarket.A CV carb would work great and they are a dime a dozen with all the mods being done to newer bikes these days.
I have one laying around here somewhere off my eglide from when I got the 95" kit and put on a Mikuni HSR42.
Y2K :smoke

HrdlyDangrs
24th May 2005, 02:57
I believe the differance is that the S&S Intake Manifold's I.D. matches up with the S&S Carbs bore I.D.

Also, the S&S Manifolds are designed to work with their carb depending on the application.

You can go directly to their website at www.sscycle.com :smoke

rob76xl
24th May 2005, 17:19
Y2K.
if you want to sell that take-off CV carb let me know. i have contacted about four places around here and done some e-bay and other parts locator searches. not much luck, i think you just have to know a guy who has one sitting around. i'd be glad to go that route too. let me know... i'll probably make a decision here in the next day or two.

HrdlyDangrs,
yep, i just measured a gasket form the old Keihin and it has a 1 3/4 opening the E has 1 7/8 so i would have a 1/16" lip around the edge to ruin the airflow and collect gas.

ok, so now maybe i'll think about the used CV, or new bendix route. I found one for 175 on a website with adjustable main jet, or 165 with a fixed jet. i know that will bolt on, and after a an adaptor and a rebuild kit and the price of a used CV i might be in the same ballpark.
thank you all for your help

Fisherman
24th May 2005, 20:31
When I bought my '84 1/2 it had an S&S already on it. In the box of parts is a carb & intake & air cleaner that came off of it. What carb is it & does anybody need it?

rob76xl
24th May 2005, 23:15
yeah. i can use it. i will try anything to save a buck. i'll send you an e-mail off your profile.
rob

geraldxlch
26th May 2005, 01:42
I have a Mikuni that will fit your ironhead, 50 bucks and shipping cost and it will be on it's way to you.

rob76xl
26th May 2005, 16:54
thanks for the offer. as of last night, i got a bendix/zenith on the way. the 38mm version has a 42mm throat (1 5/8 inch) perfect fit. And an adjustable main jet for that thin air here round denver.

flathead45
26th May 2005, 16:59
gerald, what type mik. ya got ? I'm lookin to replace my tired 38 round slide

altho a bro offered me an old SU that would look killer on my bike , man I just have too much on my mind