PDA

View Full Version : bike is gone!

TiBaal89
26th August 2007, 21:45
Well, hate to be the first to post here... but, my bike is gone.

Just moved to Tucson from Milwaukee, left for two days to see some people in Phoenix... came back and it was just gone. Fork was locked and I had one of those disc brake bolts, so it must have been lifted into a truck.

Black 2004 883C, NRHS-installed aluminum 1250 kit, .536 cam, mild headwork. Distinguishing features are the ACE bars and black cylinders.

I have zero expectation of ever seeing it again, my guess is that it's in pieces now. Well, I sitll have my bicycle! :(

LINK TO PICTURE OF BIKE http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showpost.php?p=888346&postcount=28

Deicer18
26th August 2007, 21:49
Sorry to hear about your bike. There are a lot of members from Arizona on here and hopefully they can help.

P Cookie
26th August 2007, 22:04
Damn that sucks man, I bet you felt that right in the stomach when you pulled home. Really sorry man

firemedic1498
26th August 2007, 22:10
Mike, Sorry to hear about your bike! I hate the fact that people in this world think that they can just take others hard earned posessions. I hope someone clues you in on who did this. Be thinkin about your sadness.

Sincerely, Neil

aci2sux
26th August 2007, 22:11
Please tell me u made a report with the cops... at least so the bike is entered into the national Crime Information Center (NCIC) database.

American rider or american iron did a report on the stolen bike task force, who go to every bike event & have recovered quite a lot lately... but only if the bike's in the system..

DC in PHX
26th August 2007, 22:13
Give us the plate # and maybe post a pic. It is most likely in a Nogales chop shop by now:frownone

Sorry ya got ripped.

Hopefully the insurance gets you a nice ride.

DC

debster
27th August 2007, 01:23
Oh man! Sorry to hear that, Mike. What the heck is wrong with people?!

Hopefully your insurance company will do you right and get you back on another set of wheels soon.

Winchester92367
27th August 2007, 18:14
Give us the plate # and maybe post a pic. It is most likely in a Nogales chop shop by now:frownone

Sorry ya got ripped.

Hopefully the insurance gets you a nice ride.

DC

I was just going to say, post a pic and description, slim chance but maybe the AZ folks on the forum will come up with something

shawn4057
27th August 2007, 18:27
That sucks man.xxx*ING theives.Hopefully youll get it back.Couldve been some young punks.If so they'll xxx* up.Good luck.

sportyblue
27th August 2007, 18:39
Sorry to hear this. What a freakin' bummer.

Sportster Sam
27th August 2007, 18:41
Sorry to hear about yoiur scoot being boosted, Mike. I do hope that it gets found and that the asswipes who stole it are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. As far as I'm concerned, stealing someone's bike ranks right down there with stealing Salvation Army Christmas kettles as a lowdown, despicable act.

I do hope you had insurance, and that the insurance buys you something that makes you as happy as your Sporty did. If you weren't insured, the owner of the property on which it was parked may have insurance that'll cover the theft. Just a thought.

mdaycb
27th August 2007, 18:58
Man that sucks, dont give up, explore all avenues, I have a disc lock also, but I know they dont due much if someone wants to steal your bike, and they are professionals, they just lift the up and put them in a truck or a van. Good luck with getting your bike back or the insurance company paying you off.

Weo
27th August 2007, 19:12
That sucks, man. :(

seajay
27th August 2007, 19:46
What a f ing bummer.

DIESEL
27th August 2007, 19:50
That SUCKS!!

I am in AZ, let me know if you need something. Hopefully your insurance will cover it all.

Paulie420
27th August 2007, 20:09
Wow. Sorry mang.

What else can you say? What a suckass day.

Post a pic like DC said, I am in Phoenix and will keep an eye peeled. You had good insurance right? They will take care of you, hopefully without losing too much on the deal.

Phoenix area is supposed to be real bad for auto theft. Lock up tight - where was yours parked???

TheForce
28th August 2007, 07:53
Sorry to hear that. Everytime I park mine I wonder, "will it be there when I get back." Too bad we can't devise some sort of electrical crotch defibrulator to teach these jerks a lesson. I can't remember what show I saw it on, I think maybe Robocop, where the car fries the thief in the front seat when he tries to steal someone's car. Hope you get her back soon.

MakuaKane
28th August 2007, 07:59
What a sick feeling. Sorry to hear about your loss Mike. This is really a time for all the AZ members of the group to keep a close watch on the road for your ride. Hope you find her and in good shape.

DC in PHX
28th August 2007, 08:06
What a sick feeling. Sorry to hear about your loss Mike. This is really a time for all the AZ members of the group to keep a close watch on the road for your ride. Hope you find her and in good shape.

I agree. Please post a pic!

DC

XLFREAK
28th August 2007, 08:14
I am sorry to hear about your bike. Thieves are the scum of the earth.

DC in PHX
29th August 2007, 00:44
bump Bump

Please Post a pic so wee can keep a lookout. You may want to check the nearest tweaker trailer park. I mean low income pre-manufacturered home community:p

Good Luck

DC

xena
30th August 2007, 03:29
So sorry to hear this Mike. Friggin thieving bastards.:frownthre

Flame__
30th August 2007, 04:03
Man, that makes me sick to hear that. I fork lock mine too, but thats nothing to a couple of guys to pick up and put in a van, truck, or trailer. I would like to believe those people are going straight to hell......with a window seat.............behind the bus driver.

sportysrock
7th September 2007, 04:34
I've seen the cops "tow" illegally parked bikes by lifting them onto a flatbed. It takes no time at all to just pick it up by 2 or 3 guys.

DJJSR
8th September 2007, 16:00
Bring back the law that made it legal to shoot horse thieves! Well, maybe it wasn't a law, but it was a good idea.

milmat1
8th September 2007, 16:52
Sorry Dude !! That really Sucks !!

Hope it was Insured !!!

milmat1
8th September 2007, 16:56
Man, that makes me sick to hear that. I fork lock mine too, but thats nothing to a couple of guys to pick up and put in a van, truck, or trailer. I would like to believe those people are going straight to hell......with a window seat.............behind the bus driver.

There is a special spot in Hell, Just in front of the Lawyers for Thieves !!!

It's 2 degrees hotter than the standard hell, and 2 degrees cooler than the Lawyers section...

MATT:smoke

TiBaal89
14th September 2007, 22:48
Thanks everyone for the offers to keep an eye out for it... I appreciate it!

Here's a pic where you can see the two most distinguishing features - the black 1250 Axtell cylinders, and the really weird forward/droopy handlebars:
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z121/tibaal89/100_0287.jpg

The pic was taken on the Dyno at NRHS in 2006 at the first 4th of July BBQ, where they installed the 1250, did some headwork, cams, etc.

Quick commercial: I have a $500 total in gift certificates split between Illinois Harley in Berwyn, IL and Uke's Harley in Kenosha, WI that I've posted in the classifieds section. 25% off the face value!
http://xlforum.net/pp_classified/showproduct.php?product=2436

P Cookie
14th September 2007, 23:16
Damn that picture makes the story even worse. So what did insurance say and did you get another ride yet?

Folkie
15th September 2007, 00:48
Really sorry to hear about your bike. Hope it was insured?

TiBaal89
16th November 2007, 05:45
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

I just got a call from the Police - they found it!!!!! It's being towed as we speak (type), and I am headed out to see what shape it's in! Woohoooo!!!!

:banadanc:banadanc:banadanc:banadanc:banadanc

seantx
16th November 2007, 05:48
Awesome. Hopefully it is still in tact. :banana

bplinson
16th November 2007, 06:00
That is some GREAT news!!! I sure hope that it is not too messed up if at all.

XLFREAK
16th November 2007, 06:10
I just read this whole theard for the first time and by the time I got to the end the bike is found.
Shoud have started from the last post, it wouldn't have been so depressing .:doh

Great! Hope it turns out for the best.:clap

64physhy
16th November 2007, 06:11
yeah, but look how long ago the thread started, and just getting it back a few minutes ago.

Johnny Wolf
16th November 2007, 06:13

I just got a call from the Police - they found it!!!!! It's being towed as we speak (type), and I am headed out to see what shape it's in! Woohoooo!!!!

Hopefully just a joy rider, and not someone who knows about the motor candy.

u8mymeat
16th November 2007, 06:29
This sucks, hope it comes back alright.

Bill2
16th November 2007, 06:45
Hopefully the thief's just had it stashed somewhere without ever starting it yet. Alot better than thinking of what some punks joy riding could do in no time to a engine and transmission. Good luck!

TiBaal89
16th November 2007, 07:04
Thanks everybody! I hope it's alright, too. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait until the morning to find out... :o

XLH4EVER
16th November 2007, 07:29
Good news on finding your bike!!! You have to be carefull down there, there are more vehicles stolen in Tucson than any other city in Arizona. And most go to Mexico. You are very lucky to find it.

mdaycb
16th November 2007, 08:06
Awesome glad they found it. Hope its OK.

tim4hire
16th November 2007, 08:36
post pix of the recovery.

humpbackbob
16th November 2007, 09:32
Hope it's all in one piece.Good LUCK

Desertfox
16th November 2007, 10:52
Well, hate to be the first to post here... but, my bike is gone.

Just moved to Tucson from Milwaukee, left for two days to see some people in Phoenix... came back and it was just gone. Fork was locked and I had one of those disc brake bolts, so it must have been lifted into a truck.

Black 2004 883C, NRHS-installed aluminum 1250 kit, .536 cam, mild headwork. Distinguishing features are the ACE bars and black cylinders.

I have zero expectation of ever seeing it again, my guess is that it's in pieces now. Well, I sitll have my bicycle! :(

]

Geeze I hate hearing this kind of stuff. There have been discussions here before about the virtues of diferent antin teft devices. The plain truth is that if someone wants your bike bad enough they will get it. You didn't say whether or not the bike was in a garage or not. Leaving a hot Sporty ouside unattended for two days is making things pretty easy for anyone watching your bike with lustful eyes. I did not trust my sporty in my own garage when I went to Vancouver Island. I took it to my sons house to put in his garage for a week. My sympathies for your loss. I know it has to be suck factor 10.

Casper
16th November 2007, 12:54
Glad to hear you got it back, Mike! You must be thrilled about this!

shameless
16th November 2007, 13:19
Good to hear you're getting it back. You might want to take those gift certificates down from the classifieds. You may still want to use them. :)

wade1171
16th November 2007, 20:39
Congrats on the return of your bike.

DAB1955
16th November 2007, 21:17
Glad to here your bike has been found.:clap I hope that no damage was done to it.:danceman

Paulie420
16th November 2007, 23:10
Woohooooo!

No matter what, at least your baby will be back in your posession! You can get it fixed, and start riding baby!

I'm glad for you, post pics and let us know if you need any stock bits to make it whole again.

I got ALL of my stock stuff if you need anything!

TiBaal89
17th November 2007, 04:55
I saw the bike this morning - it's in remarkably good condition!! I can't believe it! The paint on the gas tank is completely scratched to hell, deep enough to deform the metal in a few places. No biggie there though, just means I can paint it myself. The cover on the left side over the battery is missing, and all kinds of wires all over the bike are spliced and stuff. The battery was dead so I couldn't start it, but it did turn over once and the spark plugs didn't look bad. My removable sissy bar / luggage rack is gone, but my temp dipstick remains.

Some funny things about it, though.. whoever had my bike apparently tried to "fix" a few minor things it had with it.

First, there was no left hand grip. I installed new handlebars and never put a new grip on because I'm a lazy jerk and I always wear gloves so it really didn't matter. Whoever had it installed a new grip!!

Second, I'd removed the front bumper because I think it looks cool... check out what's on there now! It's not even a sporty fender, only one bolt per side was on because it's the wrong size!
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z121/tibaal89/XL883C%20Misc/DSCF0774.jpg

And check this out. They removed the ignition key and drilled out the fork lock, installed this switch by the seat... I'm guessing this is how it was identified as stolen.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z121/tibaal89/XL883C%20Misc/DSCF0775.jpg

Brad
17th November 2007, 04:58
Good on you! Wish I had some spare parts to send ya~!

tim4hire
17th November 2007, 05:03
WOO!HOOO!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:banana:banadanc :banana

hillers03
17th November 2007, 05:06
That is amazing you got the bike back, well done it will take some time to get it running. Good luck

debster
18th November 2007, 00:52
I think you're quite lucky to have gotten it back! Congratulations. It's not in as bad shape as I would have expected.

Did the police say where they found it and if they got the person who stole it?

toadster
18th November 2007, 01:30
I can't believe you got it back . I herd they end up south of the border...:frownthre

rickxx
18th November 2007, 02:03
Some funny things about it, though.. whoever had my bike apparently tried to "fix" a few minor things it had with it.

First, there was no left hand grip. I installed new handlebars and never put a new grip on because I'm a lazy jerk and I always wear gloves so it really didn't matter. Whoever had it installed a new grip!!

Second, I'd removed the front bumper because I think it looks cool... check out what's on there now! It's not even a sporty fender, only one bolt per side was on because it's the wrong size!

i guess they were just trying to 'make it theirs'. :) i'm glad you got your bike back without too much damage. collect on that insurance check and start working on that baby.

Just_Todd
18th November 2007, 02:07
Hmmm...

I wonder if he "Rode it like he stole it"?

Sorry, coudn't resist the temptation.

phantom
18th November 2007, 02:31
Thats great you got your bike back.

ozark
18th November 2007, 20:30

:banadanc:banadanc:banadanc:banadanc:banadanc

I'm glad you got your bike back! I usually try not to think bad thoughts however I hope something truly evil happens to the scum who stole your bike.

Ozark

dagsportster
18th November 2007, 20:47
Congrats on the recovery. I'd love to know the details of how they found it and if they caught the bastards (or how the bike got stolen in the first place). I'm curious about the tank damage -- do you thing they tossed it in the back of a pickup (laying it down) and took off?

Sounds like some amateurs looking for a joy bike. If it was stolen by a pro, it would have been parted or moved to Mexico intact. The hacked ignition seems to indicate just some low-life wanted a bike to ride. Who knows he could be a member of XLF by now http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/sly.gif http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/sly.gif http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/sly.gif

Anyone recall a thread about bypassing the ignition switch? :frownthre

TiBaal89
18th November 2007, 21:23
Congrats on the recovery. I'd love to know the details of how they found it and if they caught the bastards (or how the bike got stolen in the first place). I'm curious about the tank damage -- do you thing they tossed it in the back of a pickup (laying it down) and took off?

Sounds like some amateurs looking for a joy bike. If it was stolen by a pro, it would have been parted or moved to Mexico intact. The hacked ignition seems to indicate just some low-life wanted a bike to ride. Who knows he could be a member of XLF by now http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/sly.gif http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/sly.gif http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/sly.gif

Anyone recall a thread about bypassing the ignition switch? :frownthre

Without question it was thrown in a truck. I don't know if it was laid on the side, and that's what caused the tank damage, but for sure it was lifted from the ground and put into a truck. It was sitting in a parking spot 30 yards from my front door, well lit, with the fork locked and one of those disc brake bolts through the front wheel.

I don't know anything right now about them catching the dude, but I know it was found not far from where I live in northern Tucson. Sure seems like it was just some schmuck who wanted a bike. My guess is that the police spotted it because of the extremely obvious installation of the ignition switch and all the electrical hanging out in different places - no license plate either. With that and the damage, the bike appears reeeealy fishy.

humpbackbob
18th November 2007, 21:37
Glad you got the bike back relatively unscathed. Coulda been much worse. Did the Cops dust for prints? I'll bet the "perp" is not unknown to the Policia.:clap