PDA

View Full Version : Harley-Davidson Jamaica - WTF?

Bone
27th May 2010, 22:21
I just got back from a week in Jamaica and noticed something kinda odd.

There are at least 3 (probably more) "HARLEY-DAVIDSON OF JAMAICA" shops around the island... I know that I saw ones in Montego Bay, Ocho-Rios and in the MBJ airport.

But they are ALL just T-shirt shops.

WHY?

Because there is a national regulation against importing any motorcycles OVER 600cc (supposedly cause they're too powerful).

Now my problems are 2 fold.

1. I understand Harley is a business but SERIOUSLY they are a MOTORCYCLE business and opening "dealerships" in a country where they cannot sell MOTORCYCLES strikes me as being unfaithful to their core buisness. It's strikes of tarnishing that brand image they try so hard to promote. It strikes of ultimate "poser-dom".

and maybe more importantly

2. What kinda MORONS made that law. I mean IF the people who work at the Ochio-Rios location (who told me that) have the details right that means you can buy a 600ss but not an 883 sporty WTF isn't Harley pushing/lobbying with the government so they could at least sell Sportsters there and maybe open a dealer with a fleet of rental bikes.

:dunno

Ireeman
27th May 2010, 22:25
Not a very stable Gov't,
Would you invest in infrastructure and inventory now?

Pork Chop
27th May 2010, 22:26

It strikes of ultimate "poser-dom".

That about sums it up nicely

......Hey honey, I HAVE TO HAVE a Harley of Jamaica Shirt, The guys at the Hooters will all wish they were me!!..... :doh

Bone
27th May 2010, 22:38
Not a very stable Gov't,
Would you invest in infrastructure and inventory now?

It's not Harley who would have to invest, it's the potential franchise owner.

That said yeah the government is young for sure, but judging from the hundreds of millions of dollars some european investors are pouring into it (building new resorts) I doubt one Harley dealer is a HUGE risk (all things considered).

cybrdyke
27th May 2010, 23:46
Why? Cuz tourists buy alot of crap, that's why! Dont be surprised. These shops are everywhere. They have them in China, too. There are plenty of people who collect Tshirts. I know folks that collect Hard Rock Cafe tshirts from all over. People also collect Harley Tshirts. I dont see anything wrong with that and why shouldn't Harley capitalize on it. I ride a Harley and one day I might go to Jamaica. If so, I might buy a Harley of Jamaica Tshirt. Does this make me a poser?
I dont know how you draw a correlation between selling Tshirts and abandoning your core market. I just dont get that at all. Why do so many Harley owners want to deny Harley the right to sell some logo crap?

You can own a Harley in China (if the government allows you to) but you cant ride it in any major city and there are very few roads outside of the major cities, so it's kinda pointless to own one there.
Other small nations have engine size restrictions as well. Japan had one for years and years, even as they were selling Superbikes to the rest of the world.

Bone
27th May 2010, 23:55
Why? Cuz tourists buy alot of crap, that's why! Dont be surprised. These shops are everywhere. They have them in China, too.

You can own a Harley in China <snip>

You responded for me, I don't object about selling T-shirts in a "dealership" in China cause they ALSO can/do sell motorcycles.

It seems like simple hypocracy to have a "Harley of Jamaica" store if you CANNOT (and do not) SELL ANYTHING FOR ANY OF YOUR MOTORCYCLES THERE.

I have NO problem with the company making money on logos and trademarks, but this is a clear example of reversed priorities because without the motorcycles the logos/trademarks mean nothing.

dr.feltersnatch
27th May 2010, 23:57
I agree if they are advertising themselves as a dealership then they should sell bikes. If they just sell t-shirts fine but call it like it is. And yes I do have an issue with Harley slapping their logo on everything possible in my opinion it cheapens the brand.

Bone
28th May 2010, 00:05
Well they call themselves "HARLEY-DAVIDSON of JAMAICA" - which is the same nomenclature that dealers the world over use.

At least the Harley-Davidson of Los Vegas (who has a t-shirt only shop in the airport there) ALSO has an actually facility that SELLS MOTORCYCLES.

So you do the math how they are representing themselves.

Only thing it really did for me is make certain Jamaica is not (at least currently) an option for relocation.

Phaedrus
28th May 2010, 00:11
Seriously, you were thinking of moving to Jamaica man?

I don't think dreadlocks are your style:D

Stay the hell away from Kingston, theres a little war going on right now.
Lots of people dieing in the streets.

Bone
28th May 2010, 00:19
Seriously, you were thinking of moving to Jamaica man?

I don't think dreadlocks are your style:D

I've long thought it might be cool to relocate to one of the islands. We could be in a position to do it in a couple of years, but only one big enough to have a NICU in one of their hospitals and Jamaica might not be big enough for that.

Another option would be to live/work in the islands seasonally a few months of the year.

As for dread locks man I learned a lot about the Rastafarai - not sure the ganga is worth the trade-off - they're basically Raw-Diet Vegan Jehovah's Witnesses who won't let their wives do ANY work one week a month, that's just freaky. But Respect mon.

Stay the hell away from Kingston, theres a little war going on right now.
Lots of people dieing in the streets.

The news here is barely TOUCHING on it.

Last I heard they were saying more than 44 killed in the actions and it's based on a request for extradition to the US of a Jamacian drug lord by the name of Dudas. His loyal followers are fighting (with automatic weapons) both the Jamaican police and military. Locals were telling us the news reports were underplaying the amount of dead and wounded. Hell there was a plea on TV Jamaica for them to stop firing at the doctors and nurses who were trying to get to the hospital to take care of the wounded.

Messed up shit...

hansonpatt
28th May 2010, 04:59
Maybe they thought they could sell some Buell blasts there.LOL

Phaedrus
28th May 2010, 05:06
I've long thought it might be cool to relocate to one of the islands. We could be in a position to do it in a couple of years, but only one big enough to have a NICU in one of their hospitals and Jamaica might not be big enough for that.

Another option would be to live/work in the islands seasonally a few months of the year.

Would be nice for the winter months, you wouldn't need a big bike on the island.

As far as this Chris Koke goes, apparently he does a lot for the poor in Jamaica thus the local support.

Tulsaghost
28th May 2010, 05:46
and because HD prolly makes more money from t-shirts than everything else combined.....

the have an HD of hollyweird here..all it sells is shirts and crap...no bikes...

williamv1203
28th May 2010, 07:52
That about sums it up nicely

......Hey honey, I HAVE TO HAVE a Harley of Jamaica Shirt, The guys at the Hooters will all wish they were me!!..... :doh

Ya mon, I got one...

My Mom brought it back and sent it to I when she was there about a year or so ago...

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/williamv1203/Image015.jpg

linkin5
28th May 2010, 14:43
I really dosent matter to me where HD sells t shirts as long as I don't have to wear one.

billy bob
28th May 2010, 15:19
Why do they have three t-shirt shops in Jamaica ?

2009 revenue from General Merchandise (this includes Genuine Motorclothes) $282 million

I'd say Harley will take the money any way they can get it.

khaskins
28th May 2010, 15:20
If HD has to sell shirts to stay afloat, then go right ahead. I'm still collecting them from visits to dealerships and stores where I travel.

seajay
28th May 2010, 15:49
How about HD of the Bahamas...http://www.harleydavidsonbahamas.com/home.html

Bone
28th May 2010, 15:57
Would be nice for the winter months, you wouldn't need a big bike on the island.

As far as this Chris Koke goes, apparently he does a lot for the poor in Jamaica thus the local support.

Oh sure, if it was a part time thing I could probably live with something smaller for a few months of the year. But jezus, I couldn't even technically bring in a 48 hp 750cc Guzzi, but I could technically buy a 100 hp CBR? That's just stoooopid. :doh

As for Coke (yeah, they were spelling it "coke" which I assume was NOT his first given surname) yeah locals were saying that, but SHIT as of last night the official dead total was up to 77, and still they're probably not telling the whole story, that's messed up. I betcha I could have a Harley or Guzzi say in Puerto Rico and I also bet they have a couple of NICUs there!

and because HD prolly makes more money from t-shirts than everything else combined.....

I very much doubt that.

If you look at the annual reports theres a HUGE dollar difference in revenues between motorclothes etc and bikes, I DOUBT that margin differences make that up.

Why do they have three t-shirt shops in Jamaica ?

2009 revenue from General Merchandise (this includes Genuine Motorclothes) $282 million

I'd say Harley will take the money any way they can get it.

I understand that, and I don't begrudge them a dime of t-shirt sales.

HOWEVER THIS SEEMS TO CROSS THE LINE. Doing business in a country that won't ALLOW you to sell your main product and setting up said business in such a way so that it actually appears that you have a presence in that country is disingenuine. That's my objection.

In absence of a basic moral structure (like basic laws or religion) the lithmus test for the morality of an action is to ask "if everyone did ___________ would the world be better or worse off".

It's a little bit of a stretch, but apply the same basic logic to this business model. If you do that, I suggest that Harley would go out of business. I.E. cause if you don't sell bikes, then eventually no-one wants your T-shirts anymore. Trust me, Indian doesn't sell a million dollars of T-shirts each year (and hasn't probably EVER), nevermind $282M/year.

Bone
28th May 2010, 15:58
How about HD of the Bahamas...http://www.harleydavidsonbahamas.com/home.html

I dunno, are motorcycles over 600cc banned in the Bahamas too? :dunno

Tulsaghost
28th May 2010, 16:01
Historically.....HD has gone thru several periods of hard times...and the sales of clothes and accessories kept the company afloat....

AB,Frank
28th May 2010, 16:08
I dunno, are motorcycles over 600cc banned in the Bahamas too? :dunno

I don't know about being banned,but I do know Bermuda is 350cc for Joe six pack and the Leo's run 500cc,Jamaica is a little more CC's but same principle.

The DR is still open for whatever...

did you stop in at the Playboy club in Ochio rios?? best beach in the country:laugh

Bone
28th May 2010, 16:11
Historically.....HD has gone thru several periods of hard times...and the sales of clothes and accessories kept the company afloat....

Again, I cry myth on that.

The EVO saved the company, not t-shirts. Hell Harley didn't even start REALLY merchandising until AFTER the company had been saved, i.e. sales were growing and they were learning to market the mistique.

But again, I'm NOT bitching about t-shirt sales... I'm bitching about having a retail outlet in a country that doesn't allow you to sell YOUR CORE PRODUCT.

did you stop in at the Playboy club in Ochio rios?? best beach in the country:laugh

Missed that, oh well... another time...

cafe_dave
28th May 2010, 16:28
Not to defend Harley but Money is money no matter where it comes from

el jinete fantasma
28th May 2010, 17:58
\the have an HD of hollyweird here..all it sells is shirts and crap...no bikes...
Yeah, that store was run by Glendale HD. They recently shut it down.
I was in Seattle a couple years ago. Went looking for Seattle HD downtown. It too was nothing by a tshirt and trinket shop with a couple bikes in the windows for show. Nothing new about bike-free "dealerships."

Cadillac
28th May 2010, 18:00
yeah, Wisconsin Dells has a shirts only one as well. They are in conjunction with a harley dealership, but that shop only sells clothing.

Bone
28th May 2010, 21:23
Not to defend Harley but Money is money no matter where it comes from

Ends Justify The Means?

I would say that it most certainly matters from where it comes!

I personally think it matters if it comes from cutting costs by going to a 3rd world sweatshop that trashes human rights, or if it comes from illegal drug/gun money, or if it comes from some other nefarious source.

Now sure what I'm bitching about isn't nearly as an aggregious offense as those examples.

But again, see the logic of my argument against it.

If that's all they did, they would soon be out of business.

Nothing new about bike-free "dealerships."

Actually no, there is something "new" about it, at least to me.

I'm not bitching about DEALERships who ALSO operate t-shirt boutiques (which has been common in the US for more than a decade).

I'm bitching about DEALERships who exist ONLY AS T-shirt boutiques and not only don't, but CANNOT, sell bikes.

jimmyess333
28th May 2010, 21:43
Just another reason it was dumb to kill the 500cc blast.
I still think they should just bring it back with an HD badge on the tank and the Sprint name. Maybe give it a just a little styling change too.
The tooling is already done so it's not like HD has to invest much money into it.
THEN HD could have a genuine presence in these countries.

cybrdyke
29th May 2010, 03:28
I'm bitching about DEALERships who exist ONLY AS T-shirt boutiques and not only don't, but CANNOT, sell bikes.

Although I cant understand why you have this problem, I fully support your right to have it. :D

jimmyess333
29th May 2010, 03:46
I think the point that is getting missed by some it the OP's problem with a DEALER that doesn't sell bikes or parts.
Had it simply been a Harley merchandise store it would be ok.
If I'm wrong just say so.

Tulsaghost
29th May 2010, 04:24
go back a tad farthe rthan the EVO...30's...40's..and I think the early 50's

Bone
1st June 2010, 18:53
go back a tad farthe rthan the EVO...30's...40's..and I think the early 50's

Smells like myth...

chardhin
1st June 2010, 18:55
I just got back from a week in Jamaica and noticed something kinda odd.

There are at least 3 (probably more) "HARLEY-DAVIDSON OF JAMAICA" shops around the island... I know that I saw ones in Montego Bay, Ocho-Rios and in the MBJ airport.

WHY?

Because there is a national regulation against importing any motorcycles OVER 600cc (supposedly cause they're too powerful).

1. I understand Harley is a business but SERIOUSLY they are a MOTORCYCLE business and opening "dealerships" in a country where they cannot sell MOTORCYCLES strikes me as being unfaithful to their core buisness. It's strikes of tarnishing that brand image they try so hard to promote. It strikes of ultimate "poser-dom".

2. What kinda MORONS made that law. I mean IF the people who work at the Ochio-Rios location (who told me that) have the details right that means you can buy a 600ss but not an 883 sporty WTF isn't Harley pushing/lobbying with the government so they could at least sell Sportsters there and maybe open a dealer with a fleet of rental bikes.

well there all stoned over there and if they go too fast they run it to stuff. bobbin that head to marley make for a swervy motorcycle ride:smoke

BadFetus
3rd June 2010, 03:43

WHY?

3. Most of HD's clothing line is either made in China or Mexico. Makes me wonder how much of HD's so called Made In USA is really made in the USA!?
Just look at the labels at any HD dealer.

rapido125
26th August 2012, 06:29
I am from jamaica and there are harleys here, i have a new iron 883. They are not in great numbers here as motorcyle duties are 65% here and most of the motorcycle market is for sports bikes. A waiver, which has to be applied for from the minister of national security is necessary to import any bike over 700cc. We have an association here and we do plan to lobby for a change to a horse power rating instead of a cc rating as we all know here just how much faster a CBR600 is compared to a 1200 nightster. The restriction was introduced back in 1988 and sorely needs a revision, hopefully this can happen sooner than later. before 1988 you could import any size bike, i myself still have a 81 kawasaki gpz1100.

Mauser85
5th July 2015, 20:48
It was the same as the shop in The Bahamas. They did have a 94 Evo Sporty on the floor but was collecting dust.