PDA

View Full Version : stupid oil leaks

GSB_77_XL
13th June 2005, 16:17
Any one have any suggestions on how to seal the pushrod tubes? Will silicone work on this? I put new cork gaskets in it when I adjusted the valves, and now 3 of em leak :censor.
I got my right boot covered in oil today on about a 20 mile ride. I have enough oil leaks I dont need these 3 more. I am shure I am not the first one this has happened to.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg

cantolina
13th June 2005, 17:38
Any one have any suggestions on how to seal the pushrod tubes? Will silicone work on this? I put new cork gaskets in it when I adjusted the valves, and now 3 of em leak :censor.
I got my right boot covered in oil today on about a 20 mile ride. I have enough oil leaks I dont need these 3 more. I am shure I am not the first one this has happened to.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg

Ya have to be exceptionally careful about how those gaskets seat...

I spent a good deal of reassembly making damn sure they were where they needed to be....you shouldn't need any more than that...I have one that has "bulged", but all have held after 10,000 miles....

Any other tricks, I don't know of....

BTW, I think mine came with my James top-end gasket kit...they weren't cork...more like a stiff "silicone-style" seal....

IronMick
13th June 2005, 20:12
I had some trouble with leaks when i first installed mine. Like Chuck, mine came from a James top end gasket kit - it contained both rubber and cork versions. They apply to different years; my 1980 does not use the cork.

The leaks i had came from the top of the pushrod tubes; i had not seated them correctly up into their place on the bottom of the rocker covers. Sometimes i had them in ok then they moved when i was trying to fit those !@#$% spring keepers into place with a big flatblade screwdriver.

When i re-install them now [with that experience] i check by looking from the left side of the bike - i can see if they are all the way up in.

tprJJ49707
13th June 2005, 20:38
There is a set of blue silicone washers out there that retro-fits a lot of bikes...saw 'em on ebay for $7-14.00.

They are supposed to cure it. I have a James top end set like Iron Mike...I may try 'em if I can't get a set of the blue ones...

BobboJama
14th June 2005, 12:27
Use the rubber O-rings, not cork. Make sure your seating surface is clean and dry. You don't need silicone.

GSB_77_XL
17th June 2005, 01:15
I bought the silicone washers and they worked now I have 3 less oil leaks!!!!
The shop I bought em from said to Hose em down with some WD-40 first. I dont know why, but it worked so I am not complaining. Thanks for the suggestion tprjj49707

Sleevedfreak
19th June 2005, 04:56
I dont know what year you have but with my 73 i changed the pushrod tubes to the newer style and now use the o-ring type seals. I work as a jet engine mech. so replacement ones that last longer and seal better are lets say easy to get. But even with the stock o-rings the tubes seal better than the flat cork and the flat rubber washer type....

Just my thoughts

corad
9th June 2007, 20:49
Mick, where can I get the tubes for my 80 any idea?

OutlawTexan67
9th June 2007, 23:27
Mick, where can I get the tubes for my 80 any idea?

You can pick up used tubes on ebay and new ones you can get almost any where try J&P:D

corad
10th June 2007, 00:15
I can only find them to early 79 the 80 tubes were different.

jmanjeff
10th June 2007, 01:05
I can only find them to early 79 the 80 tubes were different.

J&P late 79 -84 "432-980"