PDA

View Full Version : Mick's Winter Project, comment & Question

IronMick
15th December 2004, 17:10
Here for all to see is my '80 Iron XL mostly stripped down. I feel like i am hanging my personal laundry out for all to see. Still have parts to strip off.

I have worked on several old bikes over the last few years. None of them, including this one, had ever had either the fork oil or the brake fluid changed. This is something everyone should consider. I do it every year on all of my bikes.

See the pic of the gearcase cover. See the rear cylinder cams and gears in the cover. I expect i must remove them from the cover and install them before re-installing the cover. I have not done this before. It looks like i must keep them aligned exactly as they are as i move them. Is this correct? Any special technique for doing this?

flathead45
15th December 2004, 17:16
when you move em you will line em up in the crank case the book will give you good instructions on that , mine all came out with the timming cover but you will put them in the crankcase to line em up
not a real hard thing to do , just take your time

BobH
16th December 2004, 09:56
Watch for any shims that may be on the cams (between cover and cam). If you find them on the floor later, or decide to set and and check the clearance, ya have to remove pushrods and lifters/lifter blocks. Sometimes, that can be entertaining...

IronMick
16th December 2004, 21:35
Watch for any shims that may be on the cams (between cover and cam). If you find them on the floor later, or decide to set and and check the clearance, ya have to remove pushrods and lifters/lifter blocks. Sometimes, that can be entertaining...

Thanx BobH,

I did not see any shims. Maybe i'll sweep the floor!

flathead45
16th December 2004, 21:39
the shims are that big two holed thingy thats on your cams in the pic , it looks kinda like an 8

BobH
16th December 2004, 22:20
Also, if the motor has ever been broken down before, sometimes there are shims (.005-.007) that resemblr real thin flat washers. Mine like to hide against the cam bearings in the cover. Might as well pull those pushrods and lifter blocks. Gonna make getting those bump sticks back in place a little easier.
The hard part about ripping into these Milwaukee thumpers is stopping. One thing leads to another, and so on. I draw the line at splitting the cases. I usually run out of boxes and Tupperware by then. :D

IronMick
17th December 2004, 03:30
Ok so there are shims! The figure 8 ones.

I was wondering about the push rods, valve tappets and guides. The manual says to remove them before removing the gearcase cover. I did not do that. Is this why the cover was so hard to remove? Should i remove these parts before attempting to re-install the cover? Looks complicated - like i have to remove the rear cyl rocker arm cover and cyl head first as there is not much clearence from the frame there.

dabronco
17th December 2004, 04:19
You don't have to remove the rocker covers to remove the pushrods. Remove the pushrod covers by pulling the keepers at the top of the tubes. They kinda look like part of the tube with a bowed out place in the middle. They are held in place by upward spring tension. Stick a screwdriver in the bowed slot and pry them out bottom first. The tubes now telescope together. lift up and voila! The adjustable lifter is exposed. Hold the lifter hex and loosen the split locknut. Holding the locknut, screw the lifter down till there's enough clearance to remove the pushrod. Label the pushrod as to location, (rear exhaust) and orientation (top/bottom) Good time to clean all the crud from the tubes! I'll bet you'll find some play in the lifters fit in the blocks too. They are a good noise maker.

IronMick
18th December 2004, 04:38
OK dabronco, thx for the info. My friend a local XL inde mech came by today. He showed me exactly what to do. I guess it is not surprising that the case cover was a wee bit difficult to remove, eh? He is going to oversee my work when i re-install. Good man.