PDA

View Full Version : Poor quality control & customer service

Mischka
5th October 2007, 17:12
Here's a letter I sent to HD. In response they left a voice mail message on my cell phone, said they were sorry about the color matching, and told me to that if I wanted to talk to someone at HD to call the same customer service phone number that I spent 90 minutes on hold on. So far I haven't had the patience to call back.

Mischka

September 15, 2007,

"In May 2007 I bought my first motorcycle, a 2007 Sportster 1200 Custom. It has a black cherry and pewter pearl paint job. After admiring the color matching with this paint scheme in the 2007 catalog, I decided I wanted that same look. During the third week of May, the dealer ordered the color-matched side cover kit and air cleaner cover. When I took the bike in for my 1,000 mile service, I believed that all pieces had been delivered and would be added when the maintenance work was performed. Imagine my disappointment when I came to pick up my bike and the color matching was not on my bike. Apparently Harley-Davidson quality control system failed to recognize that the shipment included two left side panels, instead one left side panel and a right side panel with the necessary oil cap. Harley-Davidson was contacted immediately (prior to July 1), but I still do not have the complete color matching. I have been told that it will be shipped by September 17, 2007 and arrive by the September 24th. Iíve tried to call Customer Service to verify that the shipment will actually take place. The first time I was on hold for 30 minutes and had to disconnect and return to work. Iím currently on hold again. Itís been 55 minutes so far. Someone did get on the phone for brief minute and allowed me barely enough time to say I was calling about coloring matching before she put me on hold again. That was 30 minutes ago.

The color matching is minor compared to some of the other problems Iíve experienced. Hereís a list of the more serious problems I have experienced.

- Significant leak of head gasket (approximately 500 miles);
- Rocker arm metal not hardened and had to be replaced (approximately 1,500 miles); according to the dealership they had never seen this problem before;
- Dead battery (approximately 2,500 miles); the battery was tested and determined to be no good.

In addition, although not serious, I purchased a convertible mesh jacket. When I got it home I discovered a nickel size hole in the liner.

All of these issues point toward a serious lack of quality control and customer service at Harley-Davidson. I truly enjoy riding my Sportster. Thereís nothing quite like the exhilaration I feel when I start her up and accelerate away. Unfortunately, I would now hesitate to recommend the purchase of a Sportster to a friend. I think Harley-Davidson can make great motorcycles (my Husband has a Road King and hasnít experienced any serious problems), but you need to do something to improve your efforts on the Sportster. My first riding season is almost over (the Road King was snowed in starting October 14th of last year) and it has been a mixture of great times and disappointment.

Iíd also like to praise the staff at the local Harley-Davidson dealership which has been very supportive as Iíve dealt with each of these problems and responded immediately to take care of items within their control.

Itís been 90 minutes since I called Customer Service and am still on hold. Iím going to hang up the phone and mail this letter instead."

fafcpa
6th October 2007, 02:09
At least you got a telephone response. I wrote H-D regarding the lack of references to the 1200L in the service manual and page errors in the owner's manual almost a year ago. Still waiting for an answer. You are so correct, the H-D Customer Service department is terrible!

Fred

rolnlow
6th October 2007, 03:46
the paint matched stuff isnt done by harley.. its done by a place called calibre.. all they have to go on is paint formula.

your jacket isnt made by harley either..

just a simple fyi

ALANXL1200RRR
6th October 2007, 03:54
Im sorry you had some bad luck...

Not much could have been done to prevent the rocker arm and head gasket... Sounds like your engine was dropped on the floor during assembly!?

Here is my advise:

Dont buy overpriced harley brand clothes or accessories.
Dont use the overpriced dealer service.
Get your money back for the paint set and do the work yourself so you can verify it was done right.

Its hard to give the sporty a bad name based on one experience. I think you will find that the vast majority of sporty owners are overly happy with them.

skratch
6th October 2007, 04:24
the paint matched stuff isnt done by harley.. its done by a place called calibre.. all they have to go on is paint formula.

just a simple fyi

her problem isn't with the color, its with the actual pieces. she got two of the same side covers. now i'm guessing that calibre doesn't package them up, but that harley does, if they do, then disregard what i said :wonderlan

u8mymeat
6th October 2007, 04:53
Sucky customer service isn't just HD, when was the last time you had really good customer service from any major company??? Few and far between. That is why I have a speaker phone, so you can still be doing things while waiting and waiting and waiting.
I can't remember but about 5 years ago I called a company and a person ansewered.

semjpm
6th October 2007, 05:45
Actually Amazon still seems to be good. I bought a GPS unit from them and it quit working after a week. They shipped a replacement overnight along with return labels and even credited the return shipping to my credit card. The entire "ordeal" was one e-mail on my part.

SEMJPM

Gone
6th October 2007, 07:42
Sucky customer service isn't just HD, when was the last time you had really good customer service from any major company??? Few and far between. That is why I have a speaker phone, so you can still be doing things while waiting and waiting and waiting.
I can't remember but about 5 years ago I called a company and a person ansewered.

One of our local Ford dealerships won't service Ford products that are more than ten years old - even though the parts are still available. The service department is more than happy to refer customers to the sales department for an "upgrade". Customer service is an industry wide problem. It's one of the areas constantly beat on by the bean-counters as an easy area to chop funds. Look how many companies contract out service-reps to India and other locations.

Urrell
6th October 2007, 10:08
So if other firms give bad customer service it's OK for Harley Davidson!
While people have this mentality firms will continue to give this level of service.

Vote with your wallet and recommendations.

Things are bound to go awry at times but if they do "Remember it" and if things are not put right to your satisfaction find other places to take your cash.
What happened to the saying "The customer is always right"?

skratch
6th October 2007, 15:01
So if other firms give bad customer service it's OK for Harley Davidson!
While people have this mentality firms will continue to give this level of service.

no one said it was okay, just that its not isolated to hd. unfortunately, poor customer service is getting to be the norm, not the exception. the really difficult part is finding someone who doesn't. its all fine and good to say 'vote with your wallet', but if you have 2 choices and they both suck, then what do you do?

i've noticed it to be a generational thing. seems like the older folks in business are still heavy on customer service while the younger guys aren't. and the younger generation doesn't seem to care that they aren't getting the service that they should.

i think we're a dying breed. :(

Bob F
6th October 2007, 15:09
Call HD first thing in the morning, should be less wait time.

Kodak does not have customer support either.

Mischka
31st October 2007, 20:17
Howdy - Wanted to give an update on the situation with HD. I haven't contacted the corporate office again, but the local dealer gave me a gift card equal to the cost of the color matched battery and oil covers and put them on free of charge. The guys at Yellowstone HD rock! :banadanc
I haven't had anymore mechanical problems, but plan to have the service dept check the fuel pump and fuses the next time I take it in to make sure I don't have some of the problems that other 2007 Sportsters seem to have.

For now my bike's just sitting in the garage. It was a toasty 22 degrees this morning. :wonderlan

jrogers329
8th March 2008, 15:40
Here's a letter I sent to HD. In response they left a voice mail message on my cell phone, said they were sorry about the color matching, and told me to that if I wanted to talk to someone at HD to call the same customer service phone number that I spent 90 minutes on hold on. So far I haven't had the patience to call back.

Mischka

September 15, 2007,

"In May 2007 I bought my first motorcycle, a 2007 Sportster 1200 Custom. It has a black cherry and pewter pearl paint job. After admiring the color matching with this paint scheme in the 2007 catalog, I decided I wanted that same look. During the third week of May, the dealer ordered the color-matched side cover kit and air cleaner cover. When I took the bike in for my 1,000 mile service, I believed that all pieces had been delivered and would be added when the maintenance work was performed. Imagine my disappointment when I came to pick up my bike and the color matching was not on my bike. Apparently Harley-Davidson quality control system failed to recognize that the shipment included two left side panels, instead one left side panel and a right side panel with the necessary oil cap. Harley-Davidson was contacted immediately (prior to July 1), but I still do not have the complete color matching. I have been told that it will be shipped by September 17, 2007 and arrive by the September 24th. Iíve tried to call Customer Service to verify that the shipment will actually take place. The first time I was on hold for 30 minutes and had to disconnect and return to work. Iím currently on hold again. Itís been 55 minutes so far. Someone did get on the phone for brief minute and allowed me barely enough time to say I was calling about coloring matching before she put me on hold again. That was 30 minutes ago.

The color matching is minor compared to some of the other problems Iíve experienced. Hereís a list of the more serious problems I have experienced.

- Significant leak of head gasket (approximately 500 miles);
- Rocker arm metal not hardened and had to be replaced (approximately 1,500 miles); according to the dealership they had never seen this problem before;
- Dead battery (approximately 2,500 miles); the battery was tested and determined to be no good.

In addition, although not serious, I purchased a convertible mesh jacket. When I got it home I discovered a nickel size hole in the liner.

All of these issues point toward a serious lack of quality control and customer service at Harley-Davidson. I truly enjoy riding my Sportster. Thereís nothing quite like the exhilaration I feel when I start her up and accelerate away. Unfortunately, I would now hesitate to recommend the purchase of a Sportster to a friend. I think Harley-Davidson can make great motorcycles (my Husband has a Road King and hasnít experienced any serious problems), but you need to do something to improve your efforts on the Sportster. My first riding season is almost over (the Road King was snowed in starting October 14th of last year) and it has been a mixture of great times and disappointment.

Iíd also like to praise the staff at the local Harley-Davidson dealership which has been very supportive as Iíve dealt with each of these problems and responded immediately to take care of items within their control.

Itís been 90 minutes since I called Customer Service and am still on hold. Iím going to hang up the phone and mail this letter instead."

Funny that I saw this thread...I had a problem with a color matched part not coming in when it was supposed to. I called the MoCo customer service line on a Friday afternoon, to raise some hell. After explaining to the cust.service person what was wrong, she told me, "Sir we get off work in 5 minutes. You will just need to call back on Monday." And then she hung up!!! I was so f:censoring pissed that I had to pull over and calm down before driving on. I called back on Monday and told them what happened on Friday. They were able to trace my call via my phone # and when the supervisor saw which tech I talked to, he said that they had been having trouble with her and this was unacceptable. No sh1t!!!

Thanks for letting me vent!

John

Billsxl1200c
11th March 2008, 00:08
One of our local Ford dealerships won't service Ford products that are more than ten years old - even though the parts are still available. The service department is more than happy to refer customers to the sales department for an "upgrade". Customer service is an industry wide problem. It's one of the areas constantly beat on by the bean-counters as an easy area to chop funds. Look how many companies contract out service-reps to India and other locations.

My wife and I went to buy a Pontiac G6 and had a 10 year old Saturn to trade, we were told they didn't want our car in trade (good shape, 85K on it). We were kind of stunned by it and were even more stunned when my wife asked how much more the for hard top convt. and were told "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!" We left the Pontiac dealership and went down the street to Toyota and they had no problem taking the Saturn in on trade (they gave us over KBB) and my wife is happy with her red Solara!

Gone
11th March 2008, 00:32

just a simple fyi

I hear what you're saying-I wasn't aware that the paint thing wasn't done in-house, but the clothing line is of mostly chinese and pakastani origin.

But, it doesn't matter. It's got HD's name and insignia on it-that makes it their product. And I have to agree with the original poster-HD's quality control is slipping big time. We're not back to the days of AMF yet, not by a long shot-but they are slipping in my opinion.

A buddy of mine just got a brand spankin new Honda Shadow-and as I was checking it out, I was kind of amazed that the fit and finish is far superior to the current Sportsters.

Harley made a great step in getting to the younger market with the Nightster, but it isn't snough. Younger people (for the most part) don't care about country of origin regarding their purchases. If the MoCo wants to see a 150th anniversary, then I think that they need to remove their heads from their collective asses and get their company under control again. But, again-that's just my opinion.

sportysrock
11th March 2008, 00:50
My wife and I went to buy a Pontiac G6 and had a 10 year old Saturn to trade, we were told they didn't want our car in trade (good shape, 85K on it). We were kind of stunned by it and were even more stunned when my wife asked how much more the for hard top convt. and were told "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!" We left the Pontiac dealership and went down the street to Toyota and they had no problem taking the Saturn in on trade (they gave us over KBB) and my wife is happy with her red Solara!

I hope you drive by the Pontiac dealer to say "hello", real often. HA!

Billsxl1200c
11th March 2008, 01:38
I hope you drive by the Pontiac dealer to say "hello", real often. HA!

I'ts funny that you typed that, but I attempted to contact GM and tell them about our treatment,all I got was the run around. When our other car died '01 Subaru Outback (it was a replacement for an '00 bought back under the lemon law....the '01 was not much better, 8K in repairs covered under the extended warranty!). Because of the treatment, we didn't even visit a GM dealer.

wowee1
21st March 2008, 14:05

They probably didn't want to deal with your trade because they couldn't sell it on their lot. A lot of dealers only sell low mile, late model cars, and the rest they have to sell wholesale to another dealer or @ auction. They were probably thinking the trade wasn't worth their time. :doh And the salesperson was probably trying to be funny with that comment, although I wouldn't think it funny myself, either.

There is no excuse for a bad dealership, but I wouldn't have given up on the car you wanted so easily. Just find the manager and ask to talk to another salesperson, or go to another Pontiac dealer, there's plenty of them, and being it's a slow economy , most will bend over backwards to sell you a car.

Billsxl1200c
21st March 2008, 16:01
Andy,

I would of understood if the salesman was making a feeble attempt at being funny, but he was serious. I really think that he prejudged us because we drove in with a '96 Saturn Coupe.

Years ago my fathers boss went to a Cadillac dealership to buy a Caddy for his wife. (He always wore a work shirt and uniform pants, he never showed off his wealth.) The salesman told him to come back "dressed better" to look at a Cadillac. He was so mad, he contacted GM because he wanted to buy the dealership just so he could fire the salesman.

PrincipalHarley
4th May 2008, 06:56
Harley-Davidson part prices and clothing prices are over the top! Let's see them continue to play this game as the US Economy tanks. I purchased my new 883R a year ago. I do not have the funds to be part of the "family." I wil say that my local Harley dealership has treated me well. I pay for it too!

havi0412c
4th May 2008, 09:14
I had the same problem you had with Pontiac, only it was the Harley dealership in Honolulu. I asked them to come down on their price on a used Sporty, and all they told me is that they couldnt. Then, when I showed them blue book was lower than what they were offering, they tried to tell me the bike had "add ons", even though it was stock. I then went across the street, where they kissed my ass until I bought the Sporty I have now, at the price I told them, even though they took a bath on it. I agree with the younger generation not caring about what kind of service they get, because I am 24, and see it in my peers all the time. they will learn sometime.