PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about Aseptic Necrosis

philidor1958
7th September 2010, 14:21
I have been having hip pain for about 7 years now and I finally remembered to tell the doctor the other day. She ordered X-rays and told me everything else is getting under control and to report back in four months. I was relieved. At about 4:00 she called and has set me up for an MRI and with an orthopedic surgeon. I asked what was wrong and she told me I had a very bad case of Aseptic Necrosis. I know after I ride about 40 miles or so my hip starts to hurt, and readjusting my feet does little good. 7 years ago it only hurt when I carried my kids around. Will this eventually affect me and my rides?

dmraco
7th September 2010, 14:33
It is a condition that develops when blood supply diminishes to an area of bone and causes the bone to die off..thus causing pain. It is either caused by trauma of a blockage in the arteries.

In the long term, depending on the cause, surgery can help, or a replacement. If it is a blockage, addressing that would help too

Good luck.

bobpilot
7th September 2010, 14:47
A close friend had that diagnosis and had to have a hip replacement, at a very early age. They said he may have to have another replacement before he's 60-65! I do know he was so sick of the pain and lack of mobility, that he told them to go ahead, and after the surgery, he said he was like a new man. He was able to do all the things he stopped doing 'cause of the hip, like skating and skiing. So, that's all I know, but I remember his Doc gave him no other real option besides surgery. Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

Tulsaghost
7th September 2010, 14:58
It is a condition that develops when blood supply diminishes to an area of bone and causes the bone to die off..thus causing pain. It is either caused by trauma of a blockage in the arteries.

In the long term, depending on the cause, surgery can help, or a replacement. If it is a blockage, addressing that would help too

Good luck.
That is what Bo Jackson had.....

Horse
7th September 2010, 15:02
That doesn't sound like fun, but maybe once they find the cause or just repair the damage you can be pain free again.

philidor1958
7th September 2010, 15:12
I've never had any injury. This would have never been taken care of if I hadn't lost my job because I never missed work just to go to the doctor. The VA is taking good care of me. I will just leave it in God's hands and control what I can and let God do his thing. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Tulsaghost
7th September 2010, 15:26
I've never had any injury. This would have never been taken care of if I hadn't lost my job because I never missed work just to go to the doctor. The VA is taking good care of me. I will just leave it in God's hands and control what I can and let God do his thing. Thanks for all the encouragement.
the perfect attitude to have. A lady at workjust had a hip replacement, after a few months she will be able to do anything she did before..good luck

dmraco
7th September 2010, 15:45
tell them you want the bionic hip.

philidor1958
12th October 2010, 17:00
Good news and not so good news. Doctor wants me to go to physical therapy for three months. Do the CT scan on my liver and gall bladder next week to determine what the growth is and then after physical therapy to go ahead with a total hip replacement if it is not better. I could tell by the look in the young kid's eyes (the doctor), that I will be going under the knife. Has anyone had this and will it stop me in my tracks from riding. I owe 5 years on my baby and would hate to give her up. My wife is wanting to learn to ride which could be an option.

Tulsaghost
12th October 2010, 17:07
Good news and not so good news. Doctor wants me to go to physical therapy for three months. Do the CT scan on my liver and gall bladder next week to determine what the growth is and then after physical therapy to go ahead with a total hip replacement if it is not better. I could tell by the look in the young kid's eyes (the doctor), that I will be going under the knife. Has anyone had this and will it stop me in my tracks from riding. I owe 5 years on my baby and would hate to give her up. My wife is wanting to learn to ride which could be an option.
One of the lady's here at work had a hip replacement, she was up and about fairly quickly, you may have to play with some different seats to find one that puts the least pressure on you...

COSpringer
12th October 2010, 18:01
My wife has avascular necrosis in both hips and had her left hip replaced in August. She's scheduled to replace the right one in January. She's walking without a cane now and her left hip is so much better she's getting impatient to do the right one. No reason why you shouldn't be able to ride after you've recovered. Your new hip will likely outlast you and your bike both. If you have a choice, go for anterior surgery where they go in from the front rather than the back (posterior). Apparently, recovery is much quicker because they don't have to mess with as many muscles. Good luck!

milmat1
12th October 2010, 18:16
Be Cautious and get more than one opinion, ( without telling each one what the other said!) Hip replacement has become very dependable and the recovery time has gotten shorter. But Also keep in mind that This surgery is a Great Money maker and ANY surgery that you will be put under for is Dangerous...

Be well informed and manage your care yourself using the Dr's as your tools. Do not just blindly follow what they say because the days of Doctors that Actually have your best interest in mind have long been Gone !

misterT
12th October 2010, 18:19
My wife works for an orthepeadic surgery center and she said Before you consider the hip replacement you need to find out if the necrosis is in the ball or socket. If it is in the socket many times the replacement will not take because the bone just keeps dying. She also thinks your riding days may be over,sorry I hope she is wrong.

philidor1958
13th October 2010, 06:37
Be Cautious and get more than one opinion, ( without telling each one what the other said!) Hip replacement has become very dependable and the recovery time has gotten shorter. But Also keep in mind that This surgery is a Great Money maker and ANY surgery that you will be put under for is Dangerous...

Be well informed and manage your care yourself using the Dr's as your tools. Do not just blindly follow what they say because the days of Doctors that Actually have your best interest in mind have long been Gone !

This is not a money thing, I am going to VA Hospital and treatment is free.

My wife works for an orthepeadic surgery center and she said Before you consider the hip replacement you need to find out if the necrosis is in the ball or socket. If it is in the socket many times the replacement will not take because the bone just keeps dying. She also thinks your riding days may be over,sorry I hope she is wrong.

The bone loss is in the head. I wish the doctor had said other things like 'bone decompression' or other options.

I love the VA and have gotten wonderful treatment and they are very respectful. The bad part is all the doctors are so busy and really do not have the time to explain every detail required in making a decision.

philidor1958
4th April 2011, 00:57
The VA will not replace my hip until I meet 2 conditions.

1) quit smoking, I am down to 1/2 a pack a day and using ecigarettes.
2) Get all my teeth pulled. It took me months to make them agree to pull my teeth. They said it wasn't service related. I told them that their dental fact sheet 164-3 said they had to pull them as it was affecting a condition that they were treating. I took the fight to them and won.

I get my teeth pulled May 10, 2011. I am told the waiting period is 1 to 1 1/2 years to get a replacement. I filed for Social Security disability and with the VA help I have been awarded SSDI.

SSDI has really helped because It has relieved a lot of stress. A replacement has to be done, it turns out 50% of my femour head has already collapsed. I have good days and bad days with pain, thank goodness I have a good wife who takes care of me on the bad days. I would like to thank everyone for their support.

ChinCactus
4th April 2011, 01:07
Glad to hear you have a diagnosis and a plan in place for recovery.

In the mean time, can you still ride?

Good luck,

Jim

philidor1958
4th April 2011, 01:10
Glad to hear you have a diagnosis and a plan in place for recovery.

In the mean time, can you still ride?

Good luck,

Jim

I have good days and bad days. I ride when I feel good, and sometimes over do it. Sometimes my leg goes numb and I have to get off and walk it out. Sometimes at night the pain comes and so do tears in my eyes, but overall things are good as I have a wife and 4 kids that help with what they can do. :)

ChinCactus
4th April 2011, 01:29
Good luck brother! Long as you can get a little wind in your face from time to time.

Sounds like you have good doctors and great family support. With all that going for you, you will whip this!

Keep us informed,

Jim