PDA

View Full Version : Dem Dam Deer are Everywhere

crackermank
15th November 2004, 03:11
Tonight I was on a small ride "around the block" which is a good 75 mile journey through some small roads, a few good curves, and just scenery..farms, and trees and much of the simple life. It is where I love to be. Just after dark and about 40 miles into the ride, I got slammed in the side of the bike, and my left leg got a pretty good hit. Shoved me over a bit on the road, but kept control without using too many expletives. Had to go another 5 miles to find a gas station that was lit enough that I could figure out what happened. Luckily the cage behind me pulled in as well to make sure that I was OK, and he filled in the blanks. He figured a 120lb w/at least 4pts (which is a good size deer around here) ran out of a treeline straight into me, bounced back into the ditch after doing a backflip, jumped up and ran off. I was going about 55 (the posted speed-it was dark) and my lower left leg went numb almost instantly. The bike looked ok and was running fine so I took the short route back to the house. Only damage to the bike I can find so far is the left rear turn signal indicator. It is shiny clean and the amber lens is missing. When I told the wife what happened, she did not believe me until the saw the swelling on my leg and the two large bruises forming about a foot apart on my shin. My injuries- minor bruising, swelling, and my knee got tweaked a little, nothing to complain about. Still counting my blessings that I wasn't 1/10 of a second later and broadsided him. Shoot, did not even have to clean my shorts, everything happened so fast.

Ride safe Yall-Dem Damn Deer are Everywhere!

Broncodog
15th November 2004, 03:35
......and I thought pickin bugs outta yer teeth was bad! :rolleyes:

Jimbo999
15th November 2004, 03:38
Same thing has happened to me but no impact just very, very close..... :eek:

txsporty
15th November 2004, 03:53
crackermank,

Your a Lucky Man!!!

About a month ago a dude was riding not far from here and hit a deer, They Air-lifed him to the Hospital!!! Haven't heard how he's doing!! Got to be careful!!

Gyahmers
15th November 2004, 04:07
That was a close call my friend. I'm happy you (and the bike) are allright.

txsporty
15th November 2004, 04:15
Kuryakyn sells a "Hornet Deer Alert" does anyone know if it's any good??

twinsporty
15th November 2004, 13:53
Glad to hear your OK Crackerman. Around here we have deer and ELK to worry about. Them damn elk are scary :eek:

raysheen
15th November 2004, 14:25
Kuryakyn sells a "Hornet Deer Alert" does anyone know if it's any good??
If this is like the small whistles that you put on your car then studies have shown that they don't do anything to stop a deer...don't know how they studied, but as two data points, I know two people that had them on their cars and they both hit deer :rolleyes:
I think sometimes when it comes to hitting (or not hitting) an animal all you can do is be alert and hope that you aren't unlucky. It can happen very fast as those who have been through it know.
Gives me the willies just thinking about it!

txsporty
15th November 2004, 18:10
If this is like the small whistles that you put on your car then studies have shown that they don't do anything to stop a deer...don't know how they studied, but as two data points, I know two people that had them on their cars and they both hit deer :rolleyes:
I think sometimes when it comes to hitting (or not hitting) an animal all you can do is be alert and hope that you aren't unlucky. It can happen very fast as those who have been through it know.
Gives me the willies just thinking about it!

raysheen,

The Kuryakyn is a electric type high pitch whistle!! I'm not sure if this is better or not then the old style type whistle?? :D

XLFREAK
15th November 2004, 22:00
I can also vouch for the ineffectiveness of the traditional "deer whistles"...

At one point around 11-12 years ago, I hit 3 deer within a year and a half time frame. I tried the whistles after a whacked the first one.

The second one I hit (while using the whistles) should have been the perfect opportunity for them to work. I was on a long straight-away, going 60-65 mph, when a doe ran out and took out the front corner of my truck.

From what I have seen, they claim that the whistles start working at speeds over 35 mph. Also, it was a wide open space so the sound was not obstructed. If it wouldn't have been pitch dark, I may have had a chance to avoid that one... :rolleyes:

Glad you weren't hurt by the charging suicidal herbevoir. :p

flathead45
15th November 2004, 22:31
those deer whistles don't do anything but make a deer stop and look at ya
now that the deer is at a stand still its up to you to avoid hitting him , if its in the middle of a dark road you might not have time to see it and avoid it , you might only have time to see it

the wind volocity activated whistles must be spaced a few feet apart to work and a bike just don't have a few feet apart to place them

Bikerdude
15th November 2004, 22:52
In this rural area of N.Central Illinois, we have at LEAST a dozen incidents a WEEK where this is occuring. About all u can do is keep the speed down and be as observant as possible. But then, they can still hit YOU.
By the way...we do eat A LOT of venison around here :D

Shu
15th November 2004, 23:28
Exactly what Flathead45 said, the whistles are designed to stop a deer, however most of the deer in the country are in the 'rut' (sp?) season. The bucks mindset is on getting some tail and the does mindset is on either not getting caught (running without caution) or have just been caught and are suicidal because the buck wasn't in the cool crowd :) .

Either way, the deers instinct is in control right now and they are not going to stop for a bike, car, truck, 18 wheeler or anything else that crosses their path. Be careful out there, slow down and keep your eyes peeled.

willprevale
16th November 2004, 01:05
Really glad you're ok. With the rutting season and hunters afield, I see about two dead deer each morning. I don't ride before dawn or after dusk till it's over.

crackermank
16th November 2004, 01:35
Didn't ride the bike in this morning, I wanted to do a good looking over to make sure that I don't have any later surprises. Everything looks fine, got an amber cover for the missing one. The experience seems kinda surreal.

The scary thing is that there was a suburban in front of me, a car in front of him and a car behind me. I also knew that the deer are all over the place, so I was also trying to keep an eye out. I never saw him. Still cannot figure out how he hit me without me getting tangled up in antlers, or hooves. If I didn't have a witness, I would not have had a clue as to what happened.

I like to think I am pretty safe, even though I like WOT, and had on all of my gear- it was about 30 degrees out. I wanted to pass along my reminder that the joy of riding still has risk even when you think all bases are covered.

thanks for letting me ramble, I'll see you on the road.

slolane
17th November 2004, 21:59
Glad your ok! Around here it's the crazy squirrel. I have never had a run in with any yet but have had plenty of close calls and known a few friends who have.