PDA

View Full Version : XL member loses leg

Phillober
11th December 2010, 09:20
It has come to my attention that forum member Gimlet (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/member.php?u=51140) was involved in an accident at the end of October and ended up with an above the knee amputation. The good news is he should be walking by the end of January.

Not everyone might know him, he wasn't a highly active member. It's just a harsh reality check that this sort of thing could happen to anyone with out warning. I am glad it wasn't any worse.

I'm wishing you all the best Travis

Brad
11th December 2010, 09:26
Wow, that sucks - hope he knows he can count on us for support if he needs it.

sportsterpaul
11th December 2010, 09:29
Bad news but sounds like a good prognosis. Hoping the best for him and his family with the upcoming holiday season.

Old Goat Ninja
11th December 2010, 09:39
..Terrible!

clax
11th December 2010, 10:07
I will remember gimlet and his family in my quiet time.

alvycolt45
11th December 2010, 10:30
Sorry to hear about gimlet. Here's to his speedy recovery.

jharback
11th December 2010, 11:01
Wish the best for you, Gimlet. Get better and then ride again.

Casper
11th December 2010, 11:02
Geez, I'm sorry to hear it, Gimlet. Although I'm sorry about your leg, I am glad that you pulled through. A lot of us crashed lately, and it's only a miracle we're all still here at all. Yeah, you'll be frustrated all to hell, but things will get better in time. It'll happen, I promise.

professir
11th December 2010, 12:17
Prayers for the downed brother, but, yup, its good to be alive! So, lets talk about trikes!!!!!!

sportyblue
11th December 2010, 12:44
Sorry to hear about this Gimlet. Wishing you a speedy recovery. A prayer for you and yours.

xHDrider
11th December 2010, 13:23
Doctors wanted to cut my leg off from a MC wreck when I was a lot younger.

that is a terrible loss however better then loosing an arm.

if your reading this. "a big man is not just judged by stature, but by how much it takes to discourage him."

The main thing is your alive, "bad things do happen to good people " The Bible says all things work together for good, for those that love him (the Lord) and are called according to his purpose.

When I was 19 they wanted to cut my leg off. I wanted to die, rather then go through life with one leg. I'm a lot older and wiser now. if I was faced with that again. I would want to live and try to set a bench mark on how I could improve my life, or maybe others in the same position.

somehow find purpose for a tragic event.

I had a heart attack and didn't care if I lived or died when I was going through a bad divorce, I'm remarried to the right woman now. I wouldn't be where I'm at with out the pain of the divorce, I never would have left the 1st wife for my kids stakes.

so if your reading this, I know this is a terrible and tough time. But better days are coming!

thatbikerguy
11th December 2010, 13:40
Sorry about the loss of your leg. Heal up good!!!
:hijack Cowboyup lost his leg in an accident also.:hijack

AsSeenOnTV
11th December 2010, 13:45
Great posts xHDrider, all 3 of them :)

Prayers are with you Gimlet. I am sorry to hear about your accident, and wish you the very best.

thatbikerguy
11th December 2010, 13:47

Lol!!!:geek

konel1
11th December 2010, 14:09
Gimlet, all I can say is don't let it get you down.Bust your ass with therapy and get back to as normal a life as possible.It's kind of tuff getting used to the way you will have to walk but that will not stop you from riding if you really want to.I've been an amputee for about 14 yrs now and I still love to ride.If you feel the need to talk to someone I'm a good listener and all you need to do is pm me.Hope you make a speedy recovery.

flashedwards
11th December 2010, 16:07
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Gimlet, I hope that your recovery is speedy and this doesn't effect your life too adversely. There will be obstacles to overcome but I'm sure that you can handle them.
Flash

gibson_david28
11th December 2010, 16:15
Wow.. I am sorry to hear of this and the other one mentioned. Prayers going up for the both of them. Keep your heads up...

Rascal
11th December 2010, 16:27
Keep the faith, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Tone
11th December 2010, 16:29
all me best thoughts to gimlet and his family,hope all goes well for all in his speedy recovery and hopefull return back on a bike..cheers gimlet:smoke

xHDrider
11th December 2010, 21:17

Prayers are with you Gimlet. I am sorry to hear about your accident, and wish you the very best.

lol might of known you would spot that.
it was hanging up server was busy. it said try again later. I didn't know it was really posting it. the server wouldn't let me view the post to check at the time.
I had a Christmas party to go to I couldn't get back to it.

at any rate "Merry Christmas" I hope you get more then a lump of coal in your stocking. unless the coal was under high pressure long enough to be a diamond.

bud095
11th December 2010, 21:33
i have one word for you....trike!..bud

maximummaxime
11th December 2010, 21:51
good luck with the recovery, get better soon.

Dark Wolf 73
15th December 2010, 16:40
All my best going out to gimlet and family. Hoping for a speedy rebound.

DW

Gimlet
18th December 2010, 11:14
Hey i was looking around today and found this page for me. I want to say thanks to everyone for the prayers and well wishes.

Just a little back ground on what happened. I was riding with a frined of mine out in western North Carolina when i started to drift wide in a curve. We were not traveling at a high speed maybe 40mph. i grabbed some breake to slow down when the rear tire locked up on me. When i regained control i was in the other lane and had the wreck.

I dont remember the impact but regained my memory shortly after the wreck. I the best of what i can put together i landed on my leg and it shattered.

I was wearing a full face helmet and a jacket with armor in it. Both of them helped due to hit i took in the chin area and shoulder.

The care i have received has been great and i am already back too work and will walk again near the end of january.

So again thanks so much for the well wishes.
Travis (Gimlet)

rottenralph
18th December 2010, 11:21
Glad your doing better. Walking in January will be great also. Good luck with your recovery and getting your life back to normal.

Blaze
18th December 2010, 11:23
Man, that sucks... sounds like youre in good spirits and getting taken care of pretty well!
Hope to see ya in the wind soon!

Gimlet
19th December 2010, 18:54
Hey thanks for the well wishes. It seems like each day brings one more thing that i use to do and one more step back to being normal. Going back to work was a great feeling, it gave me such a since of self worth and determination.

The way i look at the events that happened to me is that i am thankful to God for what he gave me and not what he took away. There is a saying that God will test us to see how strong we are, and he must think i am one strong SO*.

I cant rewind time and change what happened to me. the only thing i can do is find my limitations and find ways to get around them. Its funny the one thing i miss more than any thing else is putting up my feet and crossing my ankles to relax.

Travis IWWA (I Will Walk Again)

Likemlouder
19th December 2010, 19:03
Thoughts and Prayers. Glad to hear you are doing well. if God brings us to it He will bring us through it.

funnythebunny
19th December 2010, 19:12
Hey thanks for the well wishes. It seems like each day brings one more thing that i use to do and one more step back to being normal. Going back to work was a great feeling, it gave me such a since of self worth and determination.

The way i look at the events that happened to me is that i am thankful to God for what he gave me and not what he took away. There is a saying that God will test us to see how strong we are, and he must think i am one strong SO*.

I cant rewind time and change what happened to me. the only thing i can do is find my limitations and find ways to get around them. Its funny the one thing i miss more than any thing else is putting up my feet and crossing my ankles to relax.

Travis IWWA (I Will Walk Again)

... be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
Joshua 1:9

It's great to have the Lord on your side. Prayers your way for a speedy recovery... they'll have to strap you down to keep you from dancing away!

BTW, did this occurr at the Dragon? While we visited back in August we saw many signs of injuries and death. We were blessed with his favor and got us home safe, with good memories to share. I'm glad he got you home to dwell in him, and to spread your testimony of faith.

TinMan_4L
19th December 2010, 19:13
There is no doubt in my mind that you will prevail . You have all the hopes,wishes,and blessings from My family and I sir. Merry Christmas and may the New Year bless you even more. My Great friend Chris was in a bad accident and lost his right leg about 3 years ago.....now he rides again with me regular on his 74 hardtail that we fitted up with custom left hand controls. You can do anything you put your mind too and you have more help here than you can imagine. If I can ever help you in any way let me know. God Bless !!

G-man1965
19th December 2010, 19:50
Pulling for ya man!

Gimlet
20th December 2010, 10:54
Hey funnythe bunny,
no the HOG group that i am a member of was doing a patch run to visit all 100 counties in North Carolina. Up to that point my buddy and i had about 75 counties done. One this day we were going to the western tip of NC and the accident occured just west of Maggie Valley.

It was a simple road, but as they teach you it was a combination of several bad event that created the accident.

Thanks Travis

screech69
20th December 2010, 11:00
Best of luck to you and speedy recovery!!!

beuz
20th December 2010, 11:37
Sad news .........

Graywolf
26th December 2010, 03:30
Lost left leg in 1982. Have built several trikes and tried a couple of different setups. Tried the electronic shifters. Using a homemade cross over shifter now. Any way I can help just PM.