The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > Blogs > EMZ' BLOG mush from Aunty Em's brain
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Very Loud Backfiring (among other things)
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 177
0 SBS Project - Sportster Chop w/ Lots of Photo's
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 297
Views: 83,309
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45,677
Views: 7,219,260
0 Winter riding clothes
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 2,854
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 14,587
Views: 814,764
0 Leakdown test
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 43
Views: 1,100
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 1,366
Views: 173,796
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 10,948
Views: 927,159
0 My new lift
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 11
Views: 761
0 never mind
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 69
Views: 3,323
0 Mounting headsets to helmets
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 11
Views: 332
0 Speedo for E-Z Bob/FatbobTank
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 4
Views: 127
5 73 Timing w/Strobe & 77 air/fuel screw
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 507
0 Pre-rubber stock exhaust to '08 heads and cylinders
Last Post: aswracing
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 137
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 15,315
Views: 1,471,106
0 Hydraulic Lift For XL
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 85
0 Thanks For The Add / In Michigan
Last Post: George Greer
Replies: 13
Views: 607
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 2,649
Views: 358,187
0 Cheap 7200B bearing = NO!
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 1,328
0 Need help with side valve hole rim and tube size . .
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 164
0 Dyno run XLH 1978
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 33
Views: 1,646
0 1982 XLH 1000 With 23 Original Miles
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Views: 177
0 Interview of My Expieriences Riding in the Iron Butt Rally
Last Post: ParrotHead
Views: 127
7 Ironhead yes or no
Last Post: ferretface
Replies: 27
Views: 1,004
0 1999 Sportster 883XLH
Replies: 3
Views: 154
0 Question on priming motor for kickstart
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 7
Views: 420
0 Voe
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 124
0 91-92 Service Manual For a 2K Bike
Replies: 3
Views: 328
0 Fork Upgrade to 39mm. Is This Possible/Wise
Last Post: NGOT8R
Replies: 5
Views: 107
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 4,491
Views: 553,386
More...
Members Birthdays
ebikerman (83), nalakk (78), blkjak (76), Dave.N (65), cousincletus (59), stretch7 (57), jockeyshift (55), juice900 (41), sportsterwheelies (39), live_loud (37)
hope that by posting what's on my mind occaisionally, I can get to know XLforum folks better, and share both motorcycle thoughts and non-moto thoughts and thereby communicate, making the world a better place (lol), blah blah blah....

1. Old Comment

some equipment changes

Dear emzdogz:

My friend also have same problem with the bags. and he told me that he find out way. Will ask him and let you know as soon as possible.

Thanks & regards:
    JACK
    Posted 15th August 2012 at 22:21 by jckmthw
  2. Old Comment

tried the pullback risers

I located a 3 inch rise with a 3 inch pullback at Ebay. Waiting for the 1st to buy. Thinking of possibly modification to brake line to help it reach. Found slack under fuel tank on wires and speedo cable. Should be enough for the move.
  3. Old Comment

From this read. I will see if that slack is possible on 2008 standard Sportster. Brake line will most assuredly have to be changed out for longer one. I am looking for a 3 to 4 inch pullback with nothing but a minor rise as part of pullback. Any ideas on this future endeavour ?
  4. Old Comment

I would just say have a plan for your cables and wires beforehand. Try and figure out if they will reach. The wires and cables can be routed behind of the fork trees, if necc., instead of looped up in front of them like a stock bike. I think the easiest way is to remove the top triple tree altogether, just leaving the bike sitting for a couple minutes with only bottom tree on while you do it. Otherwise you have to fiddle with removing the control housings and, worse, the throttle cables. Thats a pain. If you just remove the top tree, and put it right back but with those wires and cables moved back behind it, you will get lots more to work with. Its sounds like a huge deal to remove that top tree, but really, its not. I've done it on a few other bikes, but did NOT do it on the Sporty, and doing the whole deal with the cables was MORE of a hassle than just taking the top tree off momentarily, just long enough to move the wires and throttle cables back and then put it right back on.

Also, go ahead and loosen the bolt that holds the risers, BEFORE you remove the bars. Just break 'em loose that way. Also the bars will need to be on before you can tighten them back down. (otherwise they'll turn and turn)

good luck!
  5. Old Comment

Hey, im planning on putting some pullback risers on my sportster as well any useful tips?
    Posted 28th September 2009 at 06:17 by joetoman17
  6. Old Comment

some equipment changes

hi Rob - great posting! thanks, I enjoyed that.

As far as justification, for me, the justification is that there have pretty much always been "highway" models of Sportster available, from the very beginning. Thinking of the "turtle tanked" models that also often had windshields and as you say "panniers" installed.

If one is going the use the XL as a cafe type bike, sure I can see keeping it naked. Its prettiest that way, for sure.
    But eventually a person needs to haul beer or an extra jacket or as you mention, even a gas can. And the shield makes it alot easer to do really high mileage days. Especially in the rain.

So I wouldn't be able to pay much attention to the "how can you justify" arguement.

take care, and thanks again for chiming in.
    Em
  7. Old Comment

some equipment changes

Hi again Em

Sooner or later I'll learn how attach my own pics to this site.
    Meantime it is so good to talk to you ladies and fellows, half the world away.

One of my riding cobbers said to me when I fitted the (rather small) "Deflector" screen;

"How can you justify fitting a windscreen to a Sporty?"

I thought for a moment and replied "We flattrackers need a little dodger to avoid the dust and sand thrown up by the Yamahas and Triumphs, when we lap them....."

(He owns both.....)

And then came the day when I fitted panniers: Because I use the bike as my day to day transport as well as my "On any Sunday" funbike.

Then after a club run (Sunshine Coast branch of the Ulysses Club), I realised that I was out of beer.

So I visited the bottle shop and bought a slab of XXXX cans, and attached them to my carrier with an ocky strap.

Holy s****! What happened to my handling? It felt worse that my BMW!

Heavy weight, of course, high up. So I fitted the Willie and Max panniers.

(Oh and Hi to the good folks at Appleton Harley and Buell in Wisconsin to whom I had to explain that "panniers" are the same as "saddlebags"; only in Old English.)

Because the weight is so low, almost any load I carry makes no difference to the handling. Elsewhere on this site, you will find a thread on fitting a Dyna tank to your Sporty.

Dont do it! You can easily carry a *free* 5 litre oil container of fuel in one of the panniers, which will give you the same range without the horribly high centre of gravity problems that the big tank provides.

And what to say to the purists who insist that a Sportster should be as lean and mean as a dirtbike?

Try "Pony Express". Smile and walk away. Do not say "google" over your shoulder. They are intelligent guys (girls would not bother) They'll work it out.

But it is in fact Wikipedia of course that gives us the story. The Pony Express was America's high speed transit system before the railways went through, and the riders sat on a strap that ran between the "panniers" that held the precious mail. 19th century email, if you will. So I am cool with such a terse and trim transit system on my own bike.

Rob

Everyone knows about the
  8. Old Comment

some equipment changes

thanks Debbra!
  9. Old Comment

some equipment changes

hi Rob, I think your link is maybe missing some characters? as least maybe an
    "http" and/or "www"? anyway I tried adding those characters but still nothing.
    Would love to see them sometime.

I hear you on the "steel rivets".
    Yes copper or brass studs would be really good looking. My bags have a really different sort of stud...they are almost more like a "bead"...I think they are metal but they are sort of colored. So mine are dark blue to match the bike's paint. At first I was afraid they would be a little gaudy, but in fact since the spots are dark blue, they're actually pretty subtle. We shall see how they hold up over time. But for the moment I am happy.
    Thanks for chiming in!
  10. Old Comment

some equipment changes

Sorry the picture of my screen did not attach. How do you do that?
    Rob
  11. Old Comment

some equipment changes

[IMG]my documents/my pictures/clearinghouse sept 09/10.09.09[/IMG]
    My windscreen.
    Rob
  12. Old Comment

some equipment changes

Hi
    I bought a National Cycles screen too. But mine is the "Deflector", and I love it. Much better than the original HD screen with a huge range of adjustments. In the rain, my shoulders get wet but not my chest. It takes the wind pressure off my chest though, with no helmet buffeting.

Seat: I bought a standard HD dual seat and have had
    70 000km of total comfort on it. Why look any further?

I have Willie and Max panniers too. OK, I suppose, but why can I never buy bags that DO NOT have rust-prone steeel rivets. A little flash of chrome is no good. Why not copper rivets?

Rob
  13. Old Comment

some equipment changes

Great write up em. Good to hear the feedback about the fly screen......thanks. Glad you're lovin' your bike !!
  14. Old Comment

some equipment changes

hi Trace, as far as modding the Mustang seat...I was going to get that done right away, but was put off a bit after calling Sargent's, in Jacksonville, who are right at the top notch of the seat mod business. The person I sopke to said the seat would have to be recovered if I had the foam dished out some. Saying the current cover would no longer be large enough. Trying to wrap my brian around that concept - that a smaller, less voluminous seat, would require more square inches of material to cover. Thinking maybe I didn't explain what I wanted correctly. I can visualize how perhaps if just the middle of the seat were scooped out, that might be the case, but if the edges were shaved too, it seems to me it would utilize the same or even less material.

Might take it to a local shop or two.

One nice thing though about all that padding, its its quite confortable now to sit way up forward on the seat if I want to. Just as an alternative position.

As far as the shield, yep, might cut down my Memphis Shades.... its not the kind I prefer though. I'd rather have that kind like what Dan used to cut down - a 3 point mount shield. Rather than this bar-mounted one I have. But yes, I think I will try that before buying another one. (for now)
  15. Old Comment

some equipment changes

sounds like it might be time to chop the mephis shade to some where between the two....
    And I hear you on the mustang! I'd prefer it lower and slimmer at the front. So not sure whether to modify the mustang or add more padding to the nightster base keeping the same shaping if possible, just add more cushioning.
    Posted 7th September 2009 at 09:46 by sportytrace sportytrace is offline
  16. Old Comment

got my little flyscreen on

hey Dan your Memphis Shades is one of the 4 point mount type, no? I have one I want to cut down. Its already cut some, but I want to bring it much lower....but it is the bar mount type.
  17. Old Comment

I get the pleasure of riding both my bikes occasionally...one with this windscreen and the other with the cut-down Memphis Shades (Del Ray?). As Trace noted, the cut-down Shade does block more wind and I definitely prefer it. However, the little windscreen certainly makes a difference and is totally acceptable.

I still sometimes prefer the naked look, which is much easier with the Memphis Shades, but both bikes usually have the little shields on.
    Posted 21st August 2009 at 02:59 by Screw Loose Dan Screw Loose Dan is offline
  18. Old Comment

hey Trace, yeah I really like that cut down shield Dan has. I have a Memphis Shades out back that I may cut down and try that as an alternative.
  19. Old Comment

Hey Em, I have the same little screen on Nyx and while it certainly doesn't cut out all the wind, it does let me comfortably do 120km/hr sustainably for hours. Though I've never had the experience of a full screen. But had an interesting experiment when I was riding with Dan earlier this year. He has this same little flyscreen on his 1200R which felt "normal" for me. And then he has his "other" cut-down, blacked-out one on the 883L (I think it may be a memphis shade though I'm not sure). They are both about the same height, but the cut down one was quite a bit wider and really does cut out even more of the wind than the flyscreen.
  20. Old Comment

hey thanks Trace and Debbra! glad you 2 like the way it looks.
    Still haven't had a chance to take it up on the highway. If this doesn't work out then I'm going back to a Memphis Shades, but cut way, way down.
    Now I'm thinking of other handlebars too... thinking of some 8 or 10 inch t-bars.
    LOL!!! it nevers ends does it?

Sponsored Links