The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > Blogs > chardhin
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 1980 XLH Rocker Head question
Last Post: jc1980xlh
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 TC88A Programming Hardware
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 85
0 Hi , from NZ
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 38
2 My 1275 Hammer Conversion..
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 130
0 Ironhead in the uk
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 182
0 Right rear turn signal out 2002 XL1200C
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 100
0 Send a note to Sportsterpedia Admin
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 111
Views: 18,806
0 Where can i find this led Tail light ?
Last Post: NightsterJoe
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 19
0 roadside belt change
Last Post: jazzman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 2,258
0 2020 east coast meet and greet.
Last Post: commando57
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 2,263
0 What do you get when you buy a bike ?
Last Post: Whitewalls
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 293
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 15,358
Views: 863,820
3 Shaky Dave Recovery
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 156
Views: 15,824
0 Oil, Filters and Spark Plugs
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 96
Views: 3,710
0 Trans/Year Interchangeability Question
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 182
Views: 5,942
0 1970 XLH 900 color?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 4
Views: 103
0 Hi From Atlanta
Last Post: ZCarFan
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 138
0 Sleeve cylinders?
Last Post: Gold Member
Replies: 20
Views: 994
0 Options for SE a/c cover
Last Post: tussuck
Replies: 3
Views: 189
0 Riding Classic Harley 1939EL Knucklehead
Last Post: hexnut
Replies: 8
Views: 317
0 Do Sportster Low XL883L models have a shorter jiffy stand spring?
Last Post: tussuck
Views: 253
0 External breathing systems
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 527
0 never mind
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 133
Views: 10,162
0 Sportster Cobra seat
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 31
Views: 1,014
0 What kind of saddle do you use on your sporty?
Last Post: duffy
Replies: 285
Views: 82,528
0 Have you ever had your drive belt (secondary drive) break
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 696
Views: 183,762
0 Range feature on the speedo/tach combo
Last Post: Firehawk
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Views: 163
0 H-D 2019 Financial Results
Last Post: jzink0883
Views: 50
0 K&N Air Filter for old SE style backing plate?
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 9
Views: 371
0 cam lobes
Last Post: RicThompson
Replies: 34
Views: 2,054
More...
Members Birthdays
77xlch, buell_fxr (74), Danny (63), Wino (51), no_chrome (45), USMC_Davii (43), dijitaldna (38), 08nightmare
Rate this Entry

the view from my bars

Submit "the view from my bars" to Facebook Submit "the view from my bars" to Google
Posted 5th June 2010 at 23:55 by chardhin

Handlebars and lots of road. I am getting to the point of no return on this harley thing. It is amazing how much of a difference being on motorcycle is from driving a car. I always heard people whom were bikers , talk how they felt free when they are alone on an open road with the wind in their faces. Didnt realy understand why/how this was so. but last friday I was driving north on peoria, i had never been farther than pine on peoria so i decided to see were it goes. the thought of iminent danger from being on far north side tulsa and on an unknow road, released this sense of awakeness that I never felt befor. I went through so many emotions on that ride. the urge to ride away and never look back was overwelming. I wanted to ride that road till the end of the line. I wish everyone could feel that. next I will go on a road I have no idea were it leads and hope to get lost. I think I will leave my cell at home that day. I want to be free from exact direction and I believe the iphone is a crutch that way.
I will ride out to prague and see grandma and grandpa's graves. I miss them, so much. I wanna see their old house and the parks we used to play. I cant even think of those times with out a sence of something lost to never be had again. .
I also want to ride to roman nose state park, turner falls, lake dirtybird, and the kiamichi mountains.
I will do a ride to colorado eventualy, but I want to ride to cinnci first.
Well I dont know were the road will lead me but I am glad I am on it and even more proud to be in this country free enough to feel alive and a polyglot whom speeks the language of the open road.
Long days and pleasent nites-
Joseph
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 6615 Comments 6
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 6

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I wrote that a while back, just posted it.
  2. Old Comment
    I feel the same. I notice that people have vastly different opinions on what is comfortable and what is not, or what looks good and what does not. There are even different opinions on how much power a bike should have or the amount of safety gear a person should wear. If you strip away all those differences and reduce it to a common denominator a passion for THE RIDE is the one thing we all share.

I thought about this on a recent ride to Cuero Texas down a state highway. I, personally, like to ride with no windshield and only a half helmet and goggles between me and my environment. I was being smacked in the face pretty regularly with bugs and crap from the road and I asked myself, "self, why do you do this when you could easily do the same thing from the comfort of your car?" Then I cracked the throttle around the next curve and smelled sweet honeysuckle surrounding me and came up out of the curve with an overwhelming sense of well being. My self answered, "what? did you say something?"
    Updated 6th June 2010 at 14:45 by Baphomet
  3. Old Comment
    I dont usually like cliches or bumper sticker phrases but in this case, one of them is perfect: "If I have to explain it, you wouldnt get it".

Both my wife and I did the safety course and got our bike license together. I "got" it, she didnt.
  4. Old Comment
    I would add that in my case, it's more about the journey than the destination and even the means of transportation.

I dont care how I get there, as long as I get there and then go somewhere else. Thats why I drive a truck long haul and not just local. Thats why when I was a teenager, I got in my car and crossed the country just for the hell of it. Thats why when Im home I wanna go and when Im in Alabama I wanna go home. Thats why when I drive my pick-up, my International or when I rode my 883, it always feel natural, like thats what Im supposed to do.
  5. Old Comment
    Sometimes I just wanna put the hammer down on the super-slab so I head for Montana where the speed limits are higher. I love going through those sweeping wide turns on I-90 at 70-80MPH heading up Look-Out Pass or Fourth Of July Pass with my feet on the highway bar....somehow it feels so graceful. Other times I'm in the mood for a slower country road ride where the scenery and smells send me off on day dreams and memories from the past. One thing I really like about riding is that it is sort of like multi tasking without even thinking about it ( most of the time )....everything just seems to know what to do.....to keep the rubber side down ( well except for that one time ). Sometimes I like a different challenge. This past weekend I took a pretty steep dirt road with rocks, gravel, pine trees, and bumps.....I love my sporty and have complete confidence in him ( my bikes are male ). I love the sound when we're climbing the mountain and the rpm's are up....it's a thrill.
    Updated 11th June 2010 at 07:51 by sportyblue
  6. Old Comment
    You inspired me... I'm going for a ride right now! Gonna head up North on Hwy. 169 and then take a right to go over Winganon Bridge ( its just a few miles N of Talala). I'll go 3 more miles after I go through Winganon till I see the Blue sign that ponts me toward Spencer Creek. I'll wind my down that road till I come to the crossroad and then turn right. When I get to Spencer Creek I'll turn left and take that road all the way to Hwy. 66 and end up about 7 miles N. of Claremore.... Hell yeah! I'll only be gone an hour and be home before the bugs come out!

Sponsored Links