The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Sportster R.I.P. (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2079775)

crfblur 12th October 2021 02:02

121 hp and 94 lbs. of torque. And the marketing says it makes more hp and torque below 6,000 than the Pan America. The Pan America already makes 150hp - in an adventure bike.

Lots of potential left; I think they will get over 175hp in future models. For reference, the current KTM naked sport bike makes almost 180hp as a 1290.

Gold Member 12th October 2021 20:58

Some products though, you really can't make changes to because the public won't like it. "Traditional" products like Stratocasters. AFAIK the most expensive ones in that line are the ones made exactly like the very old original ones. Sure, Fender makes models to appeal to younger players, but the same-old standard style gets the most money.

Sure, you can put out a new style if you want, but for my money Harley should have never changed the style on the outside. Make all the improvements you want to the innards of the motor, but make the outside look like it always has. Hell, I think they ought to make a 45 that looks precisely and exactly like an original, but has all the modern whizz-bang for emissions etc.

Harley has a look and a style. Ferrari can get away with changing style, but I get suspicious about change when I see a local kid on his 883 chopped to look like an early 70's bike. I just wonder about the wisdom of designing motorcycles with a graphics program that erases the established industrial art.

Edit: That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

I expect to hear from Harley in a few years telling me, "Gold Member, you were right!"

wedge 12th October 2021 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Member (Post 5920211)
Some products though, you really can't make changes to because the public won't like it. "Traditional" products like Stratocasters. AFAIK the most expensive ones in that line are the ones made exactly like the very old original ones. Sure, Fender makes models to appeal to younger players, but the same-old standard style gets the most money.

Sure, you can put out a new style if you want, but for my money Harley should have never changed the style on the outside. Make all the improvements you want to the innards of the motor, but make the outside look like it always has. Hell, I think they ought to make a 45 that looks precisely and exactly like an original, but has all the modern whizz-bang for emissions etc.

Harley has a look and a style. Ferrari can get away with changing style, but I get suspicious about change when I see a local kid on his 883 chopped to look like an early 70's bike. I just wonder about the wisdom of designing motorcycles with a graphics program that erases the established industrial art.

I expect to hear from Harley in a few years telling me, "Gold Member, you were right!"

I'm not Harley but I will tell you that you are right.

Except the Ferrari thing. The old ones are still pulling the big bucks.

Tomcatt 12th October 2021 23:22

Dealer listings I see have plenty of 2021 Sportsters, XL's, real Sportsters.

Do we know if there are going to be 2022's in the USA? Anybody seen anything yea or nay?

Crusty 12th October 2021 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Member (Post 5920211)

if you really expect that, then you should change your name to Blue Member.
'Cause if you hold your breath that long, you will be blue.

Ludwig von Buzzthoven 13th October 2021 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomcatt (Post 5920240)
Dealer listings I see have plenty of 2021 Sportsters, XL's, real Sportsters.

Do we know if there are going to be 2022's in the USA? Anybody seen anything yea or nay?

I was at my dealer this weekend. The only bikes H-D are killing for 2022 are the Iron 1200, the Sport Glide, and the Slim*. So the Iron 883 and the Forty-Eight will live on.

*Bummed to see the Slim go, but it just wasn’t the same after they upgraded it with the new Softail frame and M8 in ‘18.

BSA Bob 14th October 2021 01:24

Mention of 45s just there.
A bit off topic I know but I wish Harley had kept on making 45s, upgrading them to OHV etc along with the BTs. But I doubt it looked a good idea at the time, what with the Ks & then Sportsters coming on line.

LLOYD883 16th October 2021 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by rejeanprimeau (Post 5920068)
They should have called it the V-rodster

I see we are on the same page here Réjean. I just posted on another thread that they should have called it V-rod II. LOL

TurboDog 6th November 2021 20:05

So it's been a hot minute since I've been here on XLF, but I figured I'd share My test ride experience on the New Sportster S from today.

It's been over 2 years now since I sold My '02 Hugger hot rod, and I've been really missing being in the wind..

So when I saw the release of this new model, AND all the hype surrounding it, I had to go check it out.

Now mind You, I only took a 15 minute or so test ride, ( Unsupervised I might add..��) and here's My take: I both love it and hate it at the same time.

I LOVE the POWER, handling and braking performance. Especially the POWER!!
It absolutely RIPS! The specs aren't lying, the bike has power in spades, from just over 2,500 til redline it absolutely hauls ass.

Now, sadly for the parts I HATE.

The Ergo's suck, and suck bad for a man My size and stature. I'm 6' and about 250lbs. The ergos remind Me of a more compact, equally uncomfortable V-rod. As it sat, the bike would've felt much better with true rearsets, something Harley hasn't ( and knowing the MOCO's history..) hasn't chose to introduce for the bike, yet at least.
If I were to choose to attempt to work with the bike's as delivered ergo "style", a very awkward one, I'd have to spend a lot of money and time to make it even remotely comfy for a ride much further than 20 miles.

But, the performance, handling and braking are totally next level for anything H-D has made.

The hooligan in me wanted to buy it on the spot, the older, wiser Me said hard no.

Go ride one, You be the judge, but Harley has definitely put the Sport back in the Sporty.

My old '02 made a 102 who with a buncha Hammer goodies, and this bike would absolutely beat it like it owed it money..

I'm gonna wait until a Pan America comes in and see if it has ergo's I like.

But if the new Sporty fits Your frame and needs, GO FOR IT!

JunkyardDog 7th November 2021 19:38

The problem I have with the "Sportster S" is that it is NOT a Sportster. It does not satisfy any of the reasons I bought a Sportster for. You mentioned "power" as the main thing you liked about it. If that is what I wanted I would buy a Japanese bike. I don't care about spec sheet performance. There are a ton of fast bikes out there. Way too many IMO. Many inexperienced riders buy them and kill themselves. I have owned TWO "crotch rockets" out of more than 50 bikes total (so far) And I didn't like either one of them. The riding position was horrible (downright painful in fact) and I had no use for the power and speed. I mainly wanted the look, which I am no longer attracted to. Trying to ride a crotch rocket at a normal speed is downright miserable.

Most of my bikes have been cruisers, mostly Japanese. And while they looked good and were comfortable, They simply didn't provide the Harley "experience" They didn't shake like a paint mixer and they didn't make that wonderful Harley sound. My Sportster 1200 lets me know in no uncertain terms that there is a big engine down there with big pistons going up and down. It is a MACHINE. In a world of blandness it is a sensual experience. It is primitive and visceral. It shakes and sounds like a top fuel dragster. And while it is not fast or powerful compared to a lot of bikes, it FEELS like it is. Roll on the throttle from a stop light and it sounds and feels like it has a thousand hp. Yes it tapers off pretty quickly, but that sound and feel is what it is all about for me. A really fast bike that is so smooth and quiet that you have to look at the speedometer to see how fast you are going doesn't do anything for me.