The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Sportster R.I.P. (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2079775)

felis 14th July 2021 04:56

Sportster R.I.P.

Born 1957 - Died 2020/2021 at 63.5 years old. Known and Loved.

The 2021 'Sportster S':

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...ortster-s.html

Whitewalls 14th July 2021 05:21

Enjoy internal combustion while you can. By 2030 many states are requiring all new vehicles to be electric.

Crash7557 14th July 2021 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitewalls (Post 5904888)
Enjoy internal combustion while you can. By 2030 many states are requiring all new vehicles to be electric.

Yep. Think gas is expensive now? Wait till they start closing places and it gets harder to gas up.

felis 14th July 2021 12:06

It's probably a nice liquid cooled, overhead cam bike, like the Japanese have been making for a long time.
But a person could call anything a Sportster if they're willing to desecrate the name.

Bigshankhank 14th July 2021 13:57

Lol adapt or die, the Sportster should be the sport motorcycle from H-D, and this definitely keeps the concept alive even as it sheds its outdated pushrod drivetrain and air cooling. Would you rather they continue to soften and fatten up the Sportster by adding more rubber mounting points and maybe 1-2hp increase each year, or would you rather have literally double the power and less weight?

ChinCactus 14th July 2021 15:07

I am going to look at it. I like it's a 6 speed. Depends on if it can be set up for touring.

perfesser 14th July 2021 17:25

'stretched riding position'
'forward foot controls'
'low'

doesn't really spell SPORT to me

sportsterpaul 14th July 2021 17:35

Harley has rolled the dice big time, and we will see if it was right for them. Not sure if it’s right for me. Checks off a lot of boxes but the huge tires and mammoth looking exhaust are a turn off at this time. If they are truly down near 500 pounds then I applaud that effort. Should be easy to get under the 500 mark, even better.

XL_1200C 14th July 2021 19:10

I like the New Sportster 'Machine wise', however I'm still trying to get used to the 'Fat Look'. I would like to see a newer Sportster a bit lighter looking,( not so much mass) with mid or rear set foot controls with 1/4 Cafe fairing arrangement.

I will say that I do like the look of the Pan America, but that bike has no earlier reference to its appearance to compare to.

Slick...

IXL2Relax 14th July 2021 19:59

I have to say that I'm EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED that the Revolution has been given the Sportster name... If it's a Revolution, then create a new name... It's not an Evolution, it's not a Reformation, it's not a Variation... Call it something NEW...

I'm the last person who should be targetted for a new vehicle... Once in my life was enough... I'm a HD fan, obviously, and I want the company to succeed because that means longer life for support of MY CHOICE, but I'm never going to buy a new one... I applaud that they are trying to find youth appeal, it's necessary. But it's not for me.

So, bias already admitted, which NEW model (not a morphed existing model) that HD has introduced in the past 20 years has lasted in the line up for 10-years? How many under-30 sales people do they have on the showroom floor who enthusiastically (with real knowledge) can advocate for a 'more youthful' new model?

From my perspective, by assigning the (65yo) venerable title of Sportster to this model, the MoCo has sullied that iconic name and design. :frownthre :( :frownthre

I think it would have been much more fitting to simply let the Sportster name retire on it's own terms.

If I had my choice, I would have liked the final episode of this Famous Icon (& Name) to have been: ONLY IN AMERICA!

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcycle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For Sportster Tech Info:
Ride The Sportsterpedia - A Toll-Free XLForum Information Highway!

NLXL 14th July 2021 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by IXL2Relax (Post 5905022)
I have to say that I'm EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED that the Revolution has been given the Sportster name... If it's a Revolution, then create a new name... It's not an Evolution, it's not a Reformation, it's not a Variation... Call it something NEW...

<snipped some>

From my perspective, assigning the (65yo) venerable title of Sportster to this model the MoCo has sullied that iconic name and design. :frownthre :( :frownthre

I think it would have been much more fitting to simply let the Sportster name retire on it's own terms.

If I had my choice, I would have liked the final episode of this Famous Icon (& Name) to have been: ONLY IN AMERICA!

I totally agree. They should have put the iconic Sportster name to rest. That would be a graceful end of a an era. I had hopes that they would call it Bronx.

halfmt1 14th July 2021 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by perfesser (Post 5904998)
'stretched riding position'
'forward foot controls'
'low'

doesn't really spell SPORT to me

I agree with this. The only Harley I ever liked was the Sportster, that is not a Sportster. They should have went ahead with the Bronx, that actually had some sport to it.

Sasnak75 14th July 2021 21:51

Many moons ago Honda made a Silverwing that was a mid-sized touring bike. Think a shrunken Goldwing. Never had one, but kind of dug it and the funky transverse V-twin.

Years later they slapped that name on a maxi-scooter! WTF?

Anyone remember the Ford Mustang II? Awful little car. One of our kids had one.

This is almost as bad.

I understand the desire to have the "unbroken line"... But I can look at the original Sportster and a 2020 Iron 1200 and see the lineage.

Not with this one.

BUT, bring out the Bronx with 900cc's, around 100 hp, mid controls, the right tires and pipes that allow for luggage.... I might be a customer.

joes95bobber 14th July 2021 23:11

I was looking forward to the Bronx. Something different and i would support the moco on it. Doesn’t mean it had to stay in the stable forever, but I was game.
The same with the live wire….I was first in line at my local dealership, then i got word of how greedy the price tag was. Geez.
Now, they let the Dyna name retire….why not the sporty?
Call it something else will ya? If this thing can have mid controls so i can actually ride it, i would look.
I rode the FXDLR 114” (or what ever the hell it was) and my feet were too far out front, it sucked. I look under the bike and no bolt holes for proper controls….passed….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

needspeed 15th July 2021 00:30

Almost fenderless

On a wet road the rider is going to catch a lot of road spray, from both the front and the rear. That front fender won't do much for you. Hopefully the radiator has some protection from whatever road debris the tire throws at it.

You won't have to come up with excuses for not giving someone a ride :clap but if you want to it's a problem.:doh

I've never been a fan of the forward controls riding position, but I'd like to try a ride on this. Harley has done a nice job on it and it may be a nice bike, but it's hard to think of it as a Sportster. At least not yet.

If you're riding to work where do you carry your lunch? :)
Left side saddlebags?

t.c. Johnson 15th July 2021 01:16

That is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

felis 15th July 2021 02:50

Maybe some people took the thread title in a different way than I meant it.

I have no objection to the bike at all.
I'm not interested in it, but that's besides the point.
I only object to them calling this liquid cooled, OHC bike a Sportster S.

The Sportster is dead - long live the Sportster.

I will call this new bike something else, even though maybe no one else will.

ChinCactus 15th July 2021 02:59

Ok then. It's officially the Harley Davidson Something Else! I LIKE it!:D

ChinCactus 15th July 2021 03:00

Edit: Something Else S!

drgonzo21 15th July 2021 04:11

This model is a 'Wild" styling exercise. More classic appearing models will follow. The Sportster should be a performance bike again.

perfesser 15th July 2021 04:20

don't hold your breath. the moco has shown their commitment to sport and performance by quitting flat track and drag racing this year.

IXL2Relax 15th July 2021 04:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by perfesser (Post 5905126)
don't hold your breath. the moco has shown their [lack of] commitment to sport and performance by quitting flat track and drag racing this year.

They killed off the best chance they had for that when they flushed Buell out the door. :frownthre

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcycle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For Sportster Tech Info:
Ride The Sportsterpedia - A Toll-Free XLForum Information Highway!

FreedomPenguin 15th July 2021 04:45

to be honest, I dont understand why companies waste money in all that extra stuff. I would sponsor less of those and put more money into R&D and sales. I wouldnt put any $$$ into sponsoring/racing/flat anything. just seems like a waste.

they already have the image, they dont need to sponsor $$$ for racing and such. it isn't going to attract buyers as much as just putting nice bikes out.

TPEHAK 15th July 2021 06:17

Liquid cooled engine means more headache. More maintenance, less reliable.

XL Ed 15th July 2021 14:05

Oh really? Makes you wonder why Porsche and VW went liquid.

sportytrace 15th July 2021 15:19

This bike makes me very happy about 2 things:
1. That I invested money in engine, braking and suspension upgrades on my current sporty so that I already have 121 ponies and 90 ft/lb of torque; and
2. That I purchased a liquid cooled Triumph Bonneville that stayed true to that brand's heritage instead of waiting for this bike.

I had been a little worried I'd fall in lust with the new 1250 bike, and have to make some hard decisions. But instead I thank HD make it so easy for me as the final styling holds ZERO appeal to me. And the price point makes the competitors' offerings seem hugely better value. I suspect I'd VERY much enjoy riding this "S" with the mid-mount option, and would appreciate the same tech I've come to love in my Triumph, but there's no way I can look at it and smile at it's "curb presence". I'm sure it's looks will appeal to others... but it is not for me. To me it looks like a caricature... *sigh* ... maybe, just maybe, it'll look better in person :dunno

Steve9 15th July 2021 15:39

Just business.

Some take it personally, but just business

Tomcatt 15th July 2021 16:48

Do we actually know yet if the current Evo Sportster will still be sold in 2022 in non-EURO5 markets like the USA?

sportsterpaul 15th July 2021 17:06

They should run it out as long as possible as they don’t have any type of entry level machine to offer. Its price point is with the softail range which I would think might come back and bite them?
So glad I’ve got enough Sportster stuff to last me the days I have left.........

Tomcatt 15th July 2021 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsterpaul (Post 5905234)
They should run it out as long as possible as they don’t have any type of entry level machine to offer...

That's my assumption also but I was wondering if we had anything more definitive than assumptions.

Maybe we need ANOTHER thread on the same topic...:frownthre

Roaddawgie 15th July 2021 18:15

The new offering from the Moco and the price point leave me underwhelmed. That being said HD wasn't exactly giving away the 883 & 1200s. It will be interesting to see if this new motor will hold up, being a dual overhead cam .......not my cup of tea. I love my little sporty a 2005 runner that got the carb adjusted thanks to you dudes here on the forum. I wish the MoCo well, but let's face it, a bike designed by "suits" gets the audience they deserve. If they really want to reach the "new market" they need to release a Scooter of some type . Maybe orange and black with some flames.

denguy 15th July 2021 18:44

Just took a 40+ mile jaunt on my stock 95 1200, first one in a year since covid hit. It was wonderful. This bike is all I ever want or need in a motorcycle.
Now it is bound to be a classic, for sure.

wedge 15th July 2021 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsterpaul (Post 5905234)
So glad I’ve got enough Sportster stuff to last me the days I have left.........

Yep. I said that about everything past 05. The 06 was the start of a huge downfall. Luckily we won't suffer for long. I'm sure our grandfathers said the same thing when they started tucking fenders inside of the body on cars.

Crusty 15th July 2021 21:10

My friend said it looks like something the monster in Alien would ride. I think it looks like something Mr. Natural (from R. Crumb) would own.

In any event, it doesn't appeal to me at all. The Bronx, on the other hand really piqued my interest. That's probably why they killed it. It was too functional.

felis 15th July 2021 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinCactus (Post 5905109)
Ok then. It's officially the Harley Davidson Something Else! I LIKE it!:D

I've decided.

If someone points one out to me, I'll say "Yep, yep - that's that thing that killed the Sportster".

:smoke

wedge 16th July 2021 01:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by felis (Post 5905285)
I've decided.

If someone points one out to me, I'll say "Yep, yep - that's that thing that killed the Sportster".

:smoke

I think the EPA killed the sportster and just about anything else worth riding. They got rid of horses first. Can't have horse farts wrecking the troposphere and all that crap in the streets was an environmental disaster. Just wait and see what happens once they figure out how much environmental damage is done by making batteries, and from the ozone that the motors produce. I doubt I will live to see it, but they will be getting rid of electric power eventually too.

Looks like the new sporty has decent ground clearance for cornering. That may be a plus. But then, we loose the thrill of grinding parts down until it corners OK.

XLXR 16th July 2021 02:47

The new of generation riders just might keep the Sportster name alive. Like me and my 2006 Roadster, they will have little concern of previous generations of Sporty's.

perfesser 16th July 2021 06:00

okay, who's the wise guy that put the harley sticker on that indian scout's tank?

45Brit 17th July 2021 23:33

Sorry, but it just isn't a Sportster. It's a Dyna, or a V-Rod.

If I was putting my hand in my pocket, it would be the Indian FTR. Proper sports bike size tyres, twin discs, and that certain SOMETHING that comes from actually racing and winning.

XL_1200C 18th July 2021 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportytrace (Post 5905217)
This bike makes me very happy about 2 things:
1. That I invested money in engine, braking and suspension upgrades on my current sporty so that I already have 121 ponies and 90 ft/lb of torque; and
2. That I purchased a liquid cooled Triumph Bonneville that stayed true to that brand's heritage instead of waiting for this bike.

I had been a little worried I'd fall in lust with the new 1250 bike, and have to make some hard decisions. But instead I thank HD make it so easy for me as the final styling holds ZERO appeal to me. And the price point makes the competitors' offerings seem hugely better value. I suspect I'd VERY much enjoy riding this "S" with the mid-mount option, and would appreciate the same tech I've come to love in my Triumph, but there's no way I can look at it and smile at it's "curb presence". I'm sure it's looks will appeal to others... but it is not for me. To me it looks like a caricature... *sigh* ... maybe, just maybe, it'll look better in person :dunno

I'm with you on those points Sporty Trace!