The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ironhead Shovster build take2 (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2077210)

billeuze 12th July 2020 06:50

Shovster build take2

Some of you may remember that I started building a shovster a little over 10 years ago:
http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=682824 and
http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=867879...

And that project has been mothballed for over 9 years now while circumstances had me moving from city to city, sometimes starting to set up a shop only to move again before I could get started working on it. Finally It looks now like we are settled and I have built a shop and slowly started to unpack and get re-acquainted with this project.

Actually last year, even before I had my shop finished I was already planning getting started. At that point I had some spare cash and decided to order a new set of flywheels. There were a couple of reasons. At this point my compression ratio is quite low (I'd have to get out my notes and measurements to check what exactly, but its somewhere around 8/1. Moving up to 4-5/8 wheels from my current 4-1/2 would be one way to accomplish this. Plus that would increase my displacement yet a little more which can't hurt. And I had struggled to true my current wheels and just had not got the close enough yet. So I shipped my crankshafts, crankpin, shafts, etc to Truett and Osborne to have them assemble the whole thing for me, ready to insert in my cases.

After some phone calls with T&O to sort out the details, and a little wait, one day a package arrived for me while I was at work. The box looked pretty beat up. They had assured me they would package it so it would arrive safely but this didn't look very good. Had I been there to accept the package, I probably would have refused it or at least taken photos and had them sign for and acknowledge the condition so I had some recourse if turned out to be damaged inside, But My wife had already accepted it and paid the extra they charge. Here in Canada, even if a shipment from the US is supposedly fully paid, we still have to pay another $100 or so (for customs brokerage, duty and taxes and whatnot) directly to the driver before they hand it over to us.

I unpacked and found the styrofoam that the flywheel assembly was packed in was completely smashed up on one end. At that point in time I was not setup in my shop to measure this new assembly for trueness. Once I removed the broken styrofoam, the rotating assembly sure looked good, and I really hoped it was still true. But I feared it wasn't. Now if I had been in the US, I would have shipped it straight back to T&O and have them recheck it for true and ship it back to me. But shipping it back and forth again from Canada would have cost me a few hundred more dollars, so I just hoped it was still true

It wasn't. I don't remember exactly how much it was out but I think it was .003" which is outside of specs. Anyway it wasn't till months later when I got my wheel truing stand out and was able to check them:
https://i.ibb.co/x5DSS4H/T-Owheels.jpg

By this time it was really too late to try make a claim with the shipping company. And I didn't have the cash to ship them back and forth so I took them apart to work at it myself. Now the wheel truing stand I have is not really the right tool for the job, but it can be adapted to work. It needs a bit of bracing to stiffen it. Here it is re-arranged to measure if the pinion shaft is true perpendicular to the flywheel. It wasn't and took a lot of wrangling to get it true:
https://i.ibb.co/0cQwsx7/Wheel-True-Pinion.jpg

And this is how I set it up to check for trueness of the crankpin:
https://i.ibb.co/cvhFYSQ/Weel-True-Final.jpg
measuring the way they describe in the service manual I couldn't easily tell which side of the crank ping needed adjusting in or out. Like this I could tell. It took me a few weekends just to figure out how to set this up and use the dial gauges accurately. The crank side, I really only had one option to position it as shown, so I use the same angle on the pinion side and placed the indicator the same distance away from the roller bearing as on the crank side.

It took a few weekends to get the knack of measuring and then how much to clamp or wedge in order to adjust it, getting closer all the time. At one point, I took the wheels off the stand and placed it on the bench and turned my back to do something else. I heard a sickening thud. I knew what it meant but was afraid to look. Finally I did look and found my flywheel assmbly lying on the concrete floor. when I measured, as expected, it was WAY out of true. I expected this meant my wheels where damaged beyond use. Nonetheless I spent the next few weekends trying to coax them back into true. But alas, they are good for nothing but paperweights now.

So, armed with many weekends of learning how to do it, I got out my S&S 4-1/2" wheels that I had previously given up on, and started over with them. Then it was many more weekends to get them trued to less than .001" on each side.

How many weekends it took exactly, I didn't keep track of but it was many. I finally got it. Theoretically the stand configured as above should work. But I had to be sure so I reconfigured it to measure as per the service manual. I was really expecting it to measure the same, but I couldn't know for sure until I tried. And yes, there it is. I finally have a trued set of flywheels ready to insert into my cases: https://youtu.be/NkuWtNGn4lA

Now that i'm into the 2nd take of this project, I'll keep posting my progress to this new thread...

Ferrous Head 12th July 2020 13:30

Sorry to hear all of that.

I am surprised. I had them build a complete stroker engine for me and had it shipped out here to Australia.

No problems at all.

There probably isn't a better way to store/ship a set of flywheels than installed in a set of cases. I think if I was getting them to set up rotating assembles for me I would just send them the cases and what parts I wanted them to use.
They know how to do this work.

I actually sent them an engine stand an had them bolt that into a crate.

I'm never happy about moving cranks around outside of serious support.

But what would a project be without some drama's ?

Things can only get better.

IronMick 12th July 2020 14:41

Hey Bill, welcome back! Hope it all goes well from here :)

billeuze 12th July 2020 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrous Head (Post 5836239)
Sorry to hear all of that.

I am surprised. I had them build a complete stroker engine for me and had it shipped out here to Australia.

No problems at all.

There probably isn't a better way to store/ship a set of flywheels than installed in a set of cases. I think if I was getting them to set up rotating assembles for me I would just send them the cases and what parts I wanted them to use.
They know how to do this work.

I actually sent them an engine stand an had them bolt that into a crate.

I'm never happy about moving cranks around outside of serious support.

But what would a project be without some drama's ?

Things can only get better.

Send them the cases, of course, that's a great idea, why didn't I think of it?

Of course in retrospect it is easy to think of these things. Like to put a curb on the edge of your bench to stop heavy, round, delicate, off-balance assemblies from rolling off the edge. But sending them the cases, sure that's got to be the best way to transport them.

Frankly I was surprised that what they used was a shaped styrofoam block in a cardboard box.

And yes, a little drama is part of the fun!

ryder rick 12th July 2020 16:54

I have received packages from UPS with tire marks on the box.

You know they hired the American Tourister gorilla to sort packages?

You simply can't ship anything sensitive without killer packing, and never wait to open a package that won't be used right away. (Bill now knows this one the hard way).

I have had insurance save me more than once, not counting the hassles to get paid.

And beware of sellers poor packaging, I have received, fuel tanks with the petcock sticking out a hole in the box (an idiot with no packing skills), another that comes to mind was a pair of wheels with rotors that were stacked on top of each other in the same box with no separator or padding. (a pissed seller giving me the finger for a low bid win)

rokytnji 12th July 2020 17:09

Yeah. Luck of draw on shipping lately.

I don't consider it truett & osbornes fault. Generation what ever is being paid nothing to work in this heat. Steel in box. Too Heavy. Let's stack the whole lot on top. You might probably do the same at their age.

Looks like you got a handle on it and only adjustments are needed. No scored parts. Like the truing stand.
I will be giving truett & osborne some business later this winter on 2 ironhead bottom ends I have.

Ferrous Head 12th July 2020 21:52

Been a while since I had one from them but I think S&S rotating assemblies come the same way. Heavy cardboard box, Styrofoam.
First job out of school I was a store-man and packer. We sold steel ball valves, big ones and glass tubing.
I soon learned that if I marked the boxes with glass tubing "FRAGILE" the transport guys would kick them around like a football. I started marking them as "Steel Castings" and the breakages stopped.

The Post Office people aren't all that happy about heaving very heavy boxes around. The prefer small letters. I think they sometimes show their displeasure to the package.

If you lived in Witchata it wouldn't have been a problem.

But maybe CJ needs to re-think their shipping arrangements. At the very least I hope you notified them ?

If you EVER get a chance to visit the shop - take it. It's a real eye opener.

Maxeffort 12th July 2020 22:26

Delivery

RicThompson 13th July 2020 16:00

Sorry to hear about the shabby shipping. I purchased a used set of S&S 4 and 5/8's flywheels off of Ebay for my bike. It was actually the entire rotating assembly. It has polished stock rods. I was concerned when I received it because the cardboard box didn't hardly look large enough to contain it. To my surprise it checked out fine. Rods felt good, piston pin bushings looked almost new, pin fit nice. Called S&S and asked about them, they had been manufactured in 1984, no special mods. Bike is absolute blast to ride.

wedge 13th July 2020 17:13

So, doesn't this crank lower the compression again?