The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   California (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Lane Splitting? (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11704)

indyrednek 16th August 2005 00:00

Lane Splitting?

I would like to know what your opinion of lane splitting is and do you do it? :rolleyes:

BrownDog 16th August 2005 00:12

It's foolish, and yes I do it. Mainly passing heavy traffic on the right.

Preacher 16th August 2005 00:13

I would if I could but I can't so I don't.

willprevale 16th August 2005 00:55

Not a really good idea. From what I understand, it's accepted in other parts of the world but over here yer liable to get whacked.

chevypowered 16th August 2005 00:57

Probably 75% of my commute is splitting the lane.Some days I really enjoy it and push my speed, other days it sucks and seems like everyone out to get you.For the most part a necessary evil.

dashadow 16th August 2005 01:09

Depends on where you live. In some states it's not legal so I wouldn't do it because the cages don't expect it. In Calif it's legal and done all the time. Safe if done properly, when traffic is not moving or moving slowly, don't go much faster than traffic and eyes WIDE open. I read where NHTSA even did a study this year that showed more bikes got pancaked in rear enders at lights than squished splitting lanes.

dashadow 16th August 2005 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrownDog
It's foolish, and yes I do it. Mainly passing heavy traffic on the right.

That's not lane splitting, it's riding on the shoulder. It will get you a ticket in California.

merc 16th August 2005 01:17

what IS lane splitting?
Is this where the 2 or 3 lanes heading in 1 direction is stopped or bareley moving and the bike rides between the cars, on the line?

chevypowered 16th August 2005 01:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by dashadow
Depends on where you live. In some states it's not legal so I wouldn't do it because the cages don't expect it. In Calif it's legal and done all the time. Safe if done properly, when traffic is not moving or moving slowly, don't go much faster than traffic and eyes WIDE open. I read where NHTSA even did a study this year that showed more bikes got pancaked in rear enders at lights than squished splitting lanes.

It's my understanding it's not actually legal here in Ca. It's just not illegal.

Albie1200 16th August 2005 01:28

Riding on the right can get you a ticket if you are outside of the white line. At least that is my understanding.

I do lane split all the time, but generally only when approaching a red light when all the cars in front are stopped, are not able to go anywhere and there is adequate room in between lanes. I hate downtown Laguna because it is always backed up and the lanes are so skinny there usually no room. If I didn't split I would never get anywhere. I just don't like having to be the first one through the intersection.

On freeways, only when it is bumper to bumper and then I perfer riding on the double yellow carpool lines. Seems to keep most from cutting over.