The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Sportster & Buell Motorcycle Racing (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Hooligan Flat Tracking in the UK (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2074555)

AlphaWhiskeyHotel 4th September 2019 17:05

Hooligan Flat Tracking in the UK

Hey all!
I know we have some people over the pond that have some insight into this.
I've been racing flat track on my sportster here in California and have a potential move to the UK coming up for my job. A few questions come to mind. Does anyone know the requirements for importing a bike? Especially a race only? Would it make more sense to strip my parts and get a bike once I'm in England?
Also curious as to the Hooligan racing activities that go on. I know of Dirt Quake and a few others.
Anyways looking forward to riding and racing with you guys 🤘

Photo of my race bike for reference
https://i.ibb.co/pXvc1v2/medium.jpg

Glamazon 4th September 2019 22:11

45 Brit races dirt track over here. He'll tellyou more about it A lot seems to go on in east Anglia. Not seen any in my area Lancashire

45Brit 5th September 2019 00:20

When are you coming?

Where are you going to be based, and for how long?

Broadly speaking there are three series - the leading one is Dirt Track Riders Association (DTRA) which runs a 7-round Championship mostly on speedway tracks, ending in about three weeks time. Google them on Facebook and read all about it. The Hooligan class has a four round Championship nested in amongst them, with one round in Lelystad (Holland). The Hooligan class was originally Sportster based, but these days it is completely dominated by a sponsored Indian team, to the extent that most of the Sportster riders have simply given up. There are a couple of quick dealer-sponsored XGs, too.

You can also ride a bike like that in Thunderbikes (Road-based over 500cc) but it wouldn’t be competitive - Rotax framers are the main contenders although there are various other machines, including Yamaha XT and XS

Next (in no particular order) is Scunthorpe, on the East Coast near the red and muddy Humber, which runs in the winter. Cold bloody place, suitable for the hardy of spirit! Good track with a regular following.

The Scunthorpe boys are also connected to the beach racing, which runs through the winter at Mablethorpe, not far away. Real brass monkey territory, that!

Then there is Rye House, in NW outskirts of London. They run a series which ends in, I think, October. Lots of practice days there.

DirtQuake, I don’t really know about. Never done it. There is a fair amount of overlap among the riders, but I’m not one of them.

Another winter frolic is Pete Boast’s indoor minibike series, in the Grantham area. Runs through the winter.

Personally, I’d suggest that you store your bike (which looks much too tasty to part out!) and look for a bike here. They aren’t hard to find. Honda CRF450 is much the most common bike. British speedway tracks aren’t much like US tracks, although track prep is much better these days. Greenfields, in Lincs is a purpose-built, US style clay track, 1/4 mile. Amman Valley, down in wet Welsh Wales, is a belter of a meeting on an actual trotting track, a 2-day half-Mile - it is pretty much guaranteed to rain there...

There’s also the mini-Bikes, 100cc and 125cc, lots of fun...

We do get American riders sometimes, along with some Spanish, French and Belgian ones. Come and have a go.

AlphaWhiskeyHotel 5th September 2019 18:38

It's still not set in stone. But I anticipate being there sometime in October. I will be near Swindon which I know has a Speedway. But it seems like they don't often host anything other than speedway.
I've heard about Lelystad as well. Curious about transporting between?
I think you are right on just picking something up there. I'm no pro and I definitely won't be keeping up with the Indian team out there. But I'd to stick to my guns and race a Sportster haha.
Racing against framers is no contest.. this last race I did lumped framers into the Hooligan class and was obviously dominated by the lighter quicker bikes.

I'm looking forward to some new adventures.

45Brit 5th September 2019 19:07

Oh, right. There’s no flat track at Swindon.

If you are in Swindon then Rye House isn’t too far away, about 2 hours up the motorway. You can sometimes hire a bike at Rye House. Google BMR Racing on Facebook for details.

How long are you coming for?

NLXL 5th September 2019 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaWhiskeyHotel (Post 5775063)
It's still not set in stone. But I anticipate being there sometime in October. I will be near Swindon which I know has a Speedway. But it seems like they don't often host anything other than speedway.
I've heard about Lelystad as well. Curious about transporting between?
I think you are right on just picking something up there. I'm no pro and I definitely won't be keeping up with the Indian team out there. But I'd to stick to my guns and race a Sportster haha.
Racing against framers is no contest.. this last race I did lumped framers into the Hooligan class and was obviously dominated by the lighter quicker bikes.

I'm looking forward to some new adventures.

Amazing that you mention Lelystad. I live about 55 miles from Lelystad and I didn't even know that they had a track there...I know the Lelystad airport and the track seems to be located at the end of the runway. I think will be a bit of a travel by boat if you're located in the UK though.

https://www.dirttracklelystad.com/

AlphaWhiskeyHotel 5th September 2019 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLXL (Post 5775094)
Amazing that you mention Lelystad. I live about 55 miles from Lelystad and I didn't even know that they had a track there...I know the Lelystad airport and the track seems to be located at the end of the runway. I think will be a bit of a travel by boat if you're located in the UK though.

https://www.dirttracklelystad.com/

The only reason I know of it is from Dirt Quake posts on Instagram. Trying to scope out places to ride before I get there. Seems like the best way is word of mouth now a days.

45Brit 6th September 2019 00:12

Word of mouth was always the best way!

Reverting to the OP, if you are in Swindon then come to Rye House and get to meet some people. Some of the DTRA riders have been to Lelystad and can tell you about it. Scunthorpe riders occasionally appear there, and since Sunny Scunny hasn’t had a link posted, here it is http://www.scunthorpe-speedway.com/?page_id=73

AlphaWhiskeyHotel 6th September 2019 00:39

Definitely! It looks like a blast out there and I'm glad its not the dying sport people are making it out to be. Scunthorpe looks great. I'm adding to my list as I hear them.

Ireeman 6th September 2019 05:22

Put longer suspension and enjoy trials in the Highlands.