The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Rigid_EVO What happened to 6 speed transmissions and Sportgear? (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2080225)

groovemeisterus 17th September 2021 20:05

What happened to 6 speed transmissions and Sportgear?

2000 sportster 883-1200

Was gathering parts list for my re-build from rebuilt crank assembly and up since cases are already have everything out and split.

Started looking into the Baker XL6 transmission, but they are discontinued. Then went to look for the SportGear, Their web sight is down, and can't find info except from their archives on their websight with gear ratios.

Tried Ebay for used Baker XL6 transmission and couldn't find one. Found some from other countries, but not sure I would trust a new one costing that much, and shipping.

Then heard RevTech made a 6 speed from googling around and reading from posts and couldn't find info on that ?

Gonna go out on a limb and ask if it is technically possible to convert stock 5 speed to 6 speed ?

Or is there another manufacture that makes one similar to Baker ?

Maybe a way to get the main part, think called trap door or dog house part and buy pieces up and make one ?

Any ideas or other 6 speed trasnmissions would be great since would like to finally while cruising with stock 883 gearing not feel like I need another gear, and so far the Baker XL6 has the best or same ratios i'm used to, and then the 6 gear ratio of I believe 0.86:1.

Thanks for any info, and i'm still looking and changing google search terms cause that sometimes brings up more or different result that might lead to something else.

Thanks,

:xlrocks

sportsterpaul 18th September 2021 01:26

Some of the aftermarket suppliers offered the Baker 6speed in the past, give the a holler and see if they hav3 any remaining? Nothing ventured nothing gained.

rejeanprimeau 18th September 2021 13:44

After that, you'll be looking for a seventh gear. Why you need a 6 gears tranny???
Same final ratio.

Randy_rots 18th September 2021 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by rejeanprimeau (Post 5916820)
After that, you'll be looking for a seventh gear. Why you need a 6 gears tranny???
Same final ratio.

Baker XL6 is an overdive tranny, 0.86 to be exact.
And it's a great addition for modded bike.

decman 18th September 2021 18:55

I had a Baker XL-6 in my 2003 1200C and I liked it.
But I never used 6th unless I was on the interstate doing 70+.

Baker was the only one that I knew of that made one for the Sportsters.
You "could" make one if you had a lot of extra cash and a machine shop.

If your engine had performance mods to it, I would look at the easier
and cheaper path of changing the final drive pulley (sprocket) ratio
for the lower RPM at higher speeds.
Do you have the 29T or 27T front sprocket?

BTW with my 2001 XL1200S, I never fitted my XL6 to it becuase it ran
just fine at the higher RPMs. It likes running 65 in 4th.

BTW, I've worked on 3 or 4 Sportsters that run at Bonneville (and have world records, 165MPH and higher)
and all of them run stock 5-speeds.

Randy_rots 18th September 2021 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by decman (Post 5916852)

BTW, I've worked on 3 or 4 Sportsters that run at Bonneville (and have world records, 165MPH and higher)

No wonder, with over drive gear you lose power.
However on the street that over drive 6th is great for cruising.

groovemeisterus 18th September 2021 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsterpaul (Post 5916764)
Some of the aftermarket suppliers offered the Baker 6speed in the past, give the a holler and see if they hav3 any remaining? Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Have already started and awaiting response. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

groovemeisterus 18th September 2021 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by rejeanprimeau (Post 5916820)
Same final ratio.

883 gearing is lower than 1200 with a 29T engine belt sprocket. Don’t want to have my odometer recalibrated for speed and miles till next tank fill up.

Although same transmission, over all gearing is taller on a 1200, which is why a 883-1200 conversion is better off the line. Just not interstate speeds without vibrating teeth.

groovemeisterus 18th September 2021 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by decman (Post 5916852)
I had a Baker XL-6 in my 2003 1200C and I liked it.
But I never used 6th unless I was on the interstate doing 70+.

Baker was the only one that I knew of that made one for the Sportsters.
You "could" make one if you had a lot of extra cash and a machine shop.

If your engine had performance mods to it, I would look at the easier
and cheaper path of changing the final drive pulley (sprocket) ratio
for the lower RPM at higher speeds.
Do you have the 29T or 27T front sprocket?

BTW with my 2001 XL1200S, I never fitted my XL6 to it becuase it ran
just fine at the higher RPMs. It likes running 65 in 4th.

Could also try and find replacement parts to try and build one. I have the 27T. If went to 29T odometer would be off on speed and also mileage.

With the overdrive I could still get off line faster, and cruise 70+ on interstate without vibrating teeth. And way smoother.

Best of both worlds.

Thanks

sportsterpaul 18th September 2021 23:52

F.W.I.W. my 2000 was a strong vibrator, when it got 10 1/2:1 pistons and n4 cams it smoothed out some, then when it ingested an 89” S&S kit it became noticeably smoother. Just saying.