The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ironhead attn DR DICK (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2069996)

Gold Member 15th June 2018 18:25

attn DR DICK

DR DICK please clean out your PM folder it's full--so I can send you a message

doodah man 15th June 2018 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Member (Post 5680070)
DR DICK please clean out your PM folder it's full--so I can send you a message

G.M. He don’t really check in here anymore. You trying to get a ring made up, message chuckthebeatertruck or mrmom9r; or maybe post what you need made in the wtb/wtt section.

Gold Member 15th June 2018 20:06

actually I'm looking for a ballpark number on what I'll be spending; I figured he'd be the guy who'd know

sevenyears of famine 15th June 2018 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Member (Post 5680084)
actually I'm looking for a ballpark number on what I'll be spending; I figured he'd be the guy who'd know

Make a list of what all you want to pay to have done (case welding, reinforcement ring, trans, etc) and I'll see if I can give you a ballpark based on what I paid

Gold Member 15th June 2018 20:36

yeah ring, welding, line lapping

doodah man 15th June 2018 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Member (Post 5680088)
yeah ring, welding, line lapping

I’m not entirely sure you’ll need the line lapping. Are you thinking you’ll need the line lapping after the ring is welded in or for something else?

Gold Member 16th June 2018 04:16

I'm not sure I'd need it either, but somebody mentioned it, and if that's what it would take to get the best job, then I'd want it.

8ball 16th June 2018 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Member (Post 5680084)

Honestly hed probably say he has no idea.

sevenyears of famine 21st June 2018 02:51

I had my cases welded up & reinforcement ring added (amongst other things) from a shop with a lot of experience in this type of work. My right side case alone was $400, and probably a deal at that. That included welding/machining & the ring, but mine needed a lot more than you will need. I would guess you could get by with half that amount but rates vary too much from state to state, shop to shop. Probably why no one has given you a ballpark yet.

The indy shop you're referring to, are they a motorcycle shop? machine shop? or both? I would prefer someone who knows what they're doing on both ends.

Gold Member 21st June 2018 03:44

Yeah I'm guessing $250; the local shop gets $80/hr and the internet says the avg. rate nationally is $68 for machine shop work.

The indie shop is an all-brands bike shop, they did a super deal good job on my 650 Savage, I would trust them to know what they're doing, the owner did say they do case welding. I'd think they know who the good machine shop would be around here, there's a lot of them and I wouldn't want to go to the wrong one...I'd trust about anyone with my cylinders at this point, but hte case needs someone who's into ironheads etc. I'll make sure they are cool of course but in the spring you see a lot of old bikes out front and I know at least one of the mechanics digs ironheads. Or maybe they have their own machine shop. Good thing to check out.

I'm almost ready to get the case out of the frame...I'll need to split the case, right? I have to do that anyway because I need cam bearings, I found a needle when I pulled the cams out but wondered if it can be welded unsplit...I might as well have new crank bearings put in too... needle bearings are cheap but the mains I don't know about...if you have a $ guess I'd be willing to hear it

they'll probably offer to balance the flywheel too...not sure if it's worth it with ironheads reputation for vibration as it is...I think the big end bearings are all right but as long as it's apart...