The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=263)
-   -   2008-2014 Owners Please Read - Mistake in FSM (Primary Chain Inspection Cover Screws) (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=607355)

Screw Loose Dan 18th September 2009 10:25

2008-2014 Owners Please Read - Mistake in FSM (Primary Chain Inspection Cover Screws)

2008-2011 Sportster Owners Please Read - Mistake in FSM and Owner's Manual Torque Values

There have been at least three members now that have wrecked their primary covers due to a mistake in the Factory Service Manual (FSM) that fellow members here have uncovered. The FSM lists the incorrect torque in the 2008, 2009, and 2010 for the Primary Inspection Cover Screw. The correct torque value for the Primary Inspection Cover Screw is 40-60 in-lbs. The FSM for these years lists it significantly higher causing the casting to break and crumble.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/50...m/IMG_7213.jpg
(picture from MindfulRider)

The three members that have brought this to the forefront are Kirk The Jerk, MindfulRider, and 09 blackthunder (click on their names for each of their individual stories).

I would strongly urge you to make a note in your FSM and Owner's Manuals, to prevent this from happening to you. As of right now, one of the primary covers was covered under warranty, one was not, and the other is pending. But, save yourself the headache and put a note in the Manuals - NOW!

The correct torque value for the Primary Inspection Cover Screw is 40-60 in-lbs

Thanks to Member Tater to pointing out that the 2009 Owner's Manuals has incorrect information as well.

2008 Owner's Manual

Manual with print date of 06/07 has correct values (pg 99, see here)

2008 FSM's -
  • Within the written Instructions (Section 1.9, pg 1-24), see here.
  • Torque Values (Page XV) - This has one correct value for "Primary Chain Inspection Cover screw", but the incorrect value for "Primary Chain Inspection Cover", see here.
Note - the Quick Reference chart IS correct, pg 1-8
Print date of confirmed FSM's 08/07 and 04/08.
(Pics courtesy of SportyTrace)

2009 FSM's
  • Torque Chart at begining of section (Page 1-2) - Listed in 2 places (one below the other), see here.
  • Table 1-4 Quick Reference chart (Page 1-11), see here.
  • Within the written Instructions (Page 1-40), see here.
  • Torque Values listing at end of book (Page XXII) - Listed twice again.
Print date - 01/09
Print date - 06/08
(Pics and info courtesy of Kirk)

2009 Owner's Manual
Print date 10/08 Page 105
Print date ??/?? Page 107 (reported by Tater, here)

2010 FSM's
I have no idea where it is listed in the 2010 book but probably similar to the above, I'll update this as I find out.

2011 FSM's
  • page 1-2 fastener torque table
  • Page 1-11 table 1-5 Quick ref maintenance chart
  • Page 1-35 step 5 of primary chain adjustment
  • Page 5-1 fastener torque table

The correct torque value for the Primary Inspection Cover Screw is 40-60 in-lbs

For reference, showing the correct values here are pages from my 2007 books:
2007 Sportster Owner's Manual, Pg 91
2007 Sportster Service Manual, Pg 1-7
2007 Sportster Service Manual, Pg 1-38

Sorry to have such a strong and alarming thread. But, everyone around here (including myself) tends to beat into all the noobs - "RTFM", "get the FSM", "don't work on the bike until you have the FSM", etc... Many folks here aren't full time mechanics. Many of us aren't even good shade tree mechanics. We just play one on the internet! ;) But, as less experienced wrench monkeys we tend to depend on the FSM. A bit of a bible if you will. This error on MoCo's part has caused at the very least a bit of down time for three XLF Members. Possibly others that haven't spoken up. :dunno

Please, if you have more information or a similar story, please share. As I get more complete information about which pages in the books need to be updated I'll have this original post updated. If you want to post this on other forums, please link to this post as I will be updating as I get more information. Thanks.

*Please note - this is not officially recognized by Harley MoCo! But, I wanted to let other members of the forum know about it, to hopefully avoid the troubles these guys went through.*

Tater 18th September 2009 10:58

Thanks Dan,
What about the torque on the Clutch Inspection Cover Screws, 84-108 in. lbs. seems strong to me on those little fellows... I did however tighten mine after the fluid change to 80 in. lbs. but sort of closed my eyes on the last few in. lbs. of torque... Darned if I ain't about tempted to go back to my old method of just feel good and quit...lol...
Thanks and have a good one...Tater...

Screw Loose Dan 18th September 2009 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tater (Post 2174244)
What about the torque on the Clutch Inspection Cover Screws, 84-108 in. lbs. seems strong to me on those little fellows...

I'm not an expert on what gets torqued to what. I just know from the three threads I mentioned above, it was agreed upon the manual is wrong. My 2007 manual has the same spec for the Clutch Inspection cover (ie. Derby) as your manual 84-108.

I think we best keep this thread on track...if we want to start comparing torque values we could start another thread. I'd like to keep this about the one we KNOW is wrong and get the correct information put out here. I think with three confirmed cases of wrecked cases we'll see more of this if we don't get the word out.

(And I openly admit...I don't use a torque wrench for these screws :wonderlan )

flashedwards 18th September 2009 11:11

WOW, Thanks Dan: I'm a firm believer in torqueing and factory provided torque specifications but this makes me stop and think. I'll still torque everything I tighten but I won't look at the specs like they were the gospel.
Thanks for the heads up,
Flash

ReddTigger 18th September 2009 12:55

Use the German Torque Values...

"GoodenTight"

joesporty 18th September 2009 13:03

AHHH...GOODENTIGHT....works for me

Tater 18th September 2009 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screw Loose Dan (Post 2174246)
I think we best keep this thread on track...if we want to start comparing torque values we could start another thread. I'd like to keep this about the one we KNOW is wrong and get the correct information put out here. I think with three confirmed cases of wrecked cases we'll see more of this if we don't get the word out.
(And I openly admit...I don't use a torque wrench for these screws :wonderlan )

Bump
OK-I think you are right-Then also my 09 xl 1200 Owners Manual (pg. 107) lists the same so it needs to be changed to 40-60 in. lbs. also...
Have a good one...Tater...

Tater 18th September 2009 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReddTigger (Post 2174296)
Use the German Torque Values...
"GoodenTight"

[Bump]
Ha,ha, thats a Gooden ReddTrigger...
BTW, 40-60 in. lbs. also = 4.5-6.8 Nm...
Have a good one...Tater...

khaskins 18th September 2009 14:53

How about notifying HD, so they can release a correction.

09 blackthunder 18th September 2009 15:04

I'm going to call the warranty guy when the dealer I deal with opens up today and bring this up to him. I'm sure because of the gasket change is why is torque spec went up. Thats stupid though. The gasket isn't even a 1/16th of an inch bigger and to increase the specs that much more is a problem especially when they have been the same for awhile. What about the 2003 and older manuals were they 40-60 in lbs as well or were they different. I know the inspection is different on those. Like the guy said to me is that it looked like I went in at an angle, no thats not the problem it's the aluminum starting to crumble and then the screw starts to thread sideways because those threads that start the process or leaving contact.