The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ironhead ‘68 XLCH...transmission (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2069229)

DirtyHarry68 27th April 2018 00:32

‘68 XLCH...transmission
 
Thought I’d start a new thread on this job, resulting from trying to fit a new clutch cable, ending up pulling the clutch due to noticing problems, ending up pulling the kicker...and now here we are. My shopping list is about 4 pages long.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...de00074dfb.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4831bfbeb0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9104f6b46e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...85b8233d98.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d2255d6b17.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ac56f84f49.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ee945263be.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c8a79ca595.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...69a9a8023b.jpg

No questions yet, but any advice welcome. Just intend to work through the FSM inspection routine next. In a couple of weeks and lots of reading I hope to understand vaguely how all these turny bits work together.



Al

brucstoudt 27th April 2018 00:43

i'm thinking this may have been covered in the clutch thread,but your clutch gear bearing should have a shield facing the kicker spring.an Andrews gear is always a welcome surprise.i bought my set about 6 years ago.they all have radius cuts at the corners of the dog pockets. how does the roll pin look above the mainshaft bearing race?

DirtyHarry68 27th April 2018 01:04

‘68 XLCH...transmission
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brucstoudt (Post 5667737)
i'm thinking this may have been covered in the clutch thread,but your clutch gear bearing should have a shield facing the kicker spring.an Andrews gear is always a welcome surprise.i bought my set about 6 years ago.they all have radius cuts at the corners of the dog pockets. how does the roll pin look above the mainshaft bearing race?



No, I don’t recall that being mentioned, thanks. I noticed the bearing had taken a beating, can only put this down to the spring

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...faf8e74bb0.jpg

I wondered if that was an Andrews part number.

Roll pin looks good, at a glance.



Al

doodah man 27th April 2018 01:11

in your "shift tower" you have the early style pawl carrier assembly, the pins are known to stick in their bores. worth dismantling and cleaning really well, along with cleaning any/all crud off of the other parts and inside the trans cavity. it's dirt/gunk that causes them to stick. look closely (with a magnifying glass) at the pockets of main 3rd and counter 2nd - the infamous 20t gears - for any small cracks or fissures. it's these gears more than the others that destroy precious engine cases. with the trans assembled on the bench or even better in a vice, spin the clutch gear and shift through the gears and watch how it all works together. really that's the first step to understanding the transmission, plus it's neat to watch. any other andrews gears in there? a good thread to read through now that you have it apart...
http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1734747

chevelle 27th April 2018 02:00

Did you happen to check shaft end play on c/s & m/s?
Is that why the oiler plug was removed from trapdoor?
Or was the plug missing?

Everything Doodah mentioned is a good start.

doodah man 27th April 2018 02:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevelle (Post 5667755)
Or was the plug missing?

his oiler plug is mia according to his other, recent clutch thread.

barefoot 27th April 2018 04:04

Teeth look pretty decent. I see the crappy HD factory finish on some of them still hasn't smoothed out :)

edit: Just looked at your phtoos and ditched my treatise on the dogs. Yours look good. A little attention to detail on reassambly and your box oughta be a good one.

I'd take the blowup gears in and have them magnafluxed tho. I could be way out of date but that used to be easy and cheap. My eyes they ain't what they used to be, I'd probably miss a crack as big as the grand canyon doing just the visual check. I'd probaly mag the shift stuff, too. I know, that never breaks, no one has ever heard of it but a friend had the damn shift plate weld go bad on him once. There's nothing like being fifty-eight miles from home and can't get it into gear to make your day. Sporties are light on their feet but heavy to push.

All new bearings never hurts and that's pretty cheap, too.

Maybe do a quick doodah-check and make sure the trough in the roof that leads oil to the bearing isn't compromised. Another one-inna-million occurrence but if you are the one, it's unpleasant.

needspeed 27th April 2018 04:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucstoudt (Post 5667737)
.......an Andrews gear is always a welcome surprise.i bought my set about 6 years ago.they all have radius cuts at the corners of the dog pockets.....



That's an interesting point about the Andrews dog pockets. The pockets on the latest ones have flat bottoms and radiused corners as Bruce noted. The one pictured here has been cut a lot like the way harley gears are made, with a large radius cutter.

Not saying that's bad. Just noting the difference. Maybe this is a very old Andrews gear.

DirtyHarry68 27th April 2018 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodah man (Post 5667746)
in your "shift tower" you have the early style pawl carrier assembly, the pins are known to stick in their bores. worth dismantling and cleaning really well, along with cleaning any/all crud off of the other parts and inside the trans cavity. it's dirt/gunk that causes them to stick. look closely (with a magnifying glass) at the pockets of main 3rd and counter 2nd - the infamous 20t gears - for any small cracks or fissures. it's these gears more than the others that destroy precious engine cases. with the trans assembled on the bench or even better in a vice, spin the clutch gear and shift through the gears and watch how it all works together. really that's the first step to understanding the transmission, plus it's neat to watch. any other andrews gears in there? a good thread to read through now that you have it apart...
http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1734747


Thanks, I’ll do all that. Just working up the courage to take it all apart and get it back together the way it’s supposed to be. I’m printing that thread to go through.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevelle (Post 5667755)
Did you happen to check shaft end play on c/s & m/s?
Is that why the oiler plug was removed from trapdoor?
Or was the plug missing?

Everything Doodah mentioned is a good start.


Main shaft .0015/6”, forgot to do countershaft, oops. Oiler plug is on shopping list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefoot (Post 5667788)
Teeth look pretty decent. I see the crappy HD factory finish on some of them still hasn't smoothed out :)

edit: Just looked at your phtoos and ditched my treatise on the dogs. Yours look good. A little attention to detail on reassambly and your box oughta be a good one.

I'd take the blowup gears in and have them magnafluxed tho. I could be way out of date but that used to be easy and cheap. My eyes they ain't what they used to be, I'd probably miss a crack as big as the grand canyon doing just the visual check. I'd probaly mag the shift stuff, too. I know, that never breaks, no one has ever heard of it but a friend had the damn shift plate weld go bad on him once. There's nothing like being fifty-eight miles from home and can't get it into gear to make your day. Sporties are light on their feet but heavy to push.

All new bearings never hurts and that's pretty cheap, too.

Maybe do a quick doodah-check and make sure the trough in the roof that leads oil to the bearing isn't compromised. Another one-inna-million occurrence but if you are the one, it's unpleasant.



Might be lucky and have 20T Andrews gears already, will check when I have it apart.

Thanks for the input so far.


Al

Iron Mike 27th April 2018 15:37

"Main shaft .0015/6”, forgot to do countershaft, oops"

From the pics, that c/s bearing surfaces look wasted. also appears perhaps a crack stemming from the cam plate hole in the tower. could just be the pics.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:43.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
XL Forum® - Linson Media LLC