The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ironhead MS rollers way too tight (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2078266)

Gold Member 24th November 2020 22:23

MS rollers way too tight

I requested that my new Jim's mainshaft race be line lapped to the door I'm going to use. My indie told me the race is sized for standard rollers.

I'm reading up and an old XLF thread mentioned using a brake hone and WD40 to get a smidgen off the race. This thread is from 2012 iirc. Is this still an acceptable method?

Edit: my vernier calipers say my shaft is .990.

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/nLck4f9F/IMAG0611-1.jpg[/IMG]

Heff 25th November 2020 00:02

Good luck with that endeavor.
Took me about 5 hours and 4 sets of stones to get my standard size bearings to fit my jim's race.
It's slow going...cut a while. Install. Too tight...over and over and over
Oh yeah...good luck finding those stones. Best to order a bunch ahead of time. They're getting hard to find.
Or take it back to the indie who supposedly did the work, and show him the rollers dont fit. Did you pay for work to fit 23 rollers to fit? I would be pissed if i paid for work that wasnt done.

Gold Member 25th November 2020 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heff (Post 5862617)
Good luck with that endeavor.
Took me about 5 hours and 4 sets of stones to get my standard size bearings to fit my jim's race.
It's slow going...cut a while. Install. Too tight...over and over and over
Oh yeah...good luck finding those stones. Best to order a bunch ahead of time. They're getting hard to find.
Or take it back to the indie who supposedly did the work, and show him the rollers dont fit. Did you pay for work to fit 23 rollers to fit? I would be pissed if i paid for work that wasnt done.

5 hours I have. Small price to pay.

Pissed doesn't quite describe me today.

I would have thought I'd get the rollers along with getting my case back but he didn't include them.

Not sure how he would have line lapped it since only the top 2 hold down bolt holes in the door lined up. Maybe you don't need all 4.

The tool to lap these races is $700-800 depending.

Okay note to self: Get 4 extra sets of stones. Where did you get your hone?

Heff 25th November 2020 00:59

I got that last hone at autozone. You'll need a brake hone. They use small stones. I had enough stones to make up the sets I ended up using. At one point, I even tried using fine valve lapping compound with the stones because the going was so slow. That's a hard race to cut down. And it wears the small stones down pretty quickly.
The elated feeling when the 23rd bearing starts to fit is worth it, though

bustert 25th November 2020 01:21

before you start all of that, need to chuck the shaft and check for run out. been down that road when i bought a shaft from a boneyard, probably from a wreck.

Gold Member 25th November 2020 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by bustert (Post 5862627)
before you start all of that, need to chuck the shaft and check for run out. been down that road when i bought a shaft from a boneyard, probably from a wreck.

I've got a brand new shaft, Japanese made. Japanese quality is pretty good, so I figured I'd be safe. Better than Taiwan, I'm sure.

Gold Member 25th November 2020 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heff (Post 5862626)
I got that last hone at autozone. You'll need a brake hone. They use small stones. I had enough stones to make up the sets I ended up using. At one point, I even tried using fine valve lapping compound with the stones because the going was so slow. That's a hard race to cut down. And it wears the small stones down pretty quickly.
The elated feeling when the 23rd bearing starts to fit is worth it, though

Should I just get all medium stones?

kitabel 25th November 2020 16:56

You're missing the big picture.
JIM'S is the problem.

Gold Member 25th November 2020 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitabel (Post 5862748)
You're missing the big picture.
JIM'S is the problem.

Okay so that's what the machinist put in and that's what I have to work with.

What would you do at this point if this was your engine?

CMCSSeabee 25th November 2020 17:31

It's been a while since I did mine, but I remember honing for a long time too. Why do I think there a different size rollers for that application to accommodate fit?