The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ironhead Extended fork tubes and low speed handling (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2079753)

ryder rick 26th July 2021 17:21

I hope you got the high ground clearance fork tubes. Or it may wind up pointing down hill.

Raked cups are not for highway use, show use only. Structurally compromised.....

jsandidge 26th July 2021 17:58

Everything will be stock. Currently it has only extended tubes - nothing else had been changed. My stock length tubes will be in Thursday.

ryder rick 26th July 2021 18:42

Perhaps you are not aware there are two different STOCK lengths for 35mm forks.

There are 2 part# for tubes for that vintage 45407-75 & 45644-77
Pretty sure the number differences are std and high ground clearance. (2" difference).

Be sure to shim your springs for 3/4" sag for best handling.

Gold Member 26th July 2021 20:03

Stock tubes. I had a Suzuki SAvage 650. I thought I had never ridden a motorcycle I didn't like until that one. Too much rake sucks. In order to go around something, you have to countersteer into the oncoming lane. I'm all for style, but they sure ain't for me.

jsandidge 26th July 2021 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryder rick (Post 5907353)
Perhaps you are not aware there are two different STOCK lengths for 35mm forks.

There are 2 part# for tubes for that vintage 45407-75 & 45644-77
Pretty sure the number differences are std and high ground clearance. (2" difference).

Be sure to shim your springs for 3/4" sag for best handling.

I did not know there were 2 stock tubes. I hope I ordered the right ones. They are 23-1/4" length.

wedge 26th July 2021 21:01

You should check that out right now, before the new tubes get to you. I totally agree with Rick, you should be using the longer tubes for both travel and handling. A little higher in the front is a good thing in my opinion, especially on the freeway, but lower is moving towards headshake territory.

Another note is that you should check to see what damper tubes you have and make sure you use the longest dampers too.

jsandidge 26th July 2021 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedge (Post 5907368)
You should check that out right now, before the new tubes get to you. I totally agree with Rick, you should be using the longer tubes for both travel and handling. A little higher in the front is a good thing in my opinion, especially on the freeway, but lower is moving towards headshake territory.

Another note is that you should check to see what damper tubes you have and make sure you use the longest dampers too.

According to the parts book, the longer tubes are stock for an XLS. My bike is an XLH, and the shorter ones are correct. I hope that's right.

ryder rick 27th July 2021 06:44

It used to be an XLH.

If you have long rear shocks you will likely want the longer tubes irrelevant of the model.

jsandidge 27th July 2021 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryder rick (Post 5907433)
It used to be an XLH.

If you have long rear shocks you will likely want the longer tubes irrelevant of the model.

Very good point.

ChinCactus 28th July 2021 14:20

Stock isn't ALWAYS the answer. My buddy has a 2003 Night Train. Near As I can tell, it is all stock. Thing has BAD low speed flop.