The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Rubbermount_EVO Sloppy up-shifting when hot? (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2079935)

Nibelungen 6th August 2021 19:20

when upshifting in 3 rd gear (riding aggressively) often with my bike it was less than perfect...
ok riding gently...
ok downshifting... no matter if gently or aggressive

this behavior was like this:
before my complete rebuild at 46k kms for broken crankpin...
and also after the rebuild... (the mechs checked the tranny and it was ok)

I myself changed the throwout bearing with the FAG 7200B TVP angular one... 20k km ago...
the behavior still was present...
I made myself clear...
nothing to worry...
only a bit upsetting...

a bit of slack in the primary (only a bit compared to the FSM specs) and doubled the change of primary fluid...
brought things a little more to the right side...

Oli1200 7th August 2021 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedge (Post 5909481)
You should be the one to check it out. The throwout bearing is easily accessible and WHEN you find that it is falling apart it can be replaced in a half hour with basic tools and a snap ring pliar. (If you don't own two snap ring pliars you need to buy them. One for pushing the ends out and another for pulling the ends in). For this job you need the one that pulls in. You will also need a couple of the correct size sockets to use with a bolt and nut/washers to press the bearing out and back in to the holder. Oh, you need the outie snap ring pliars to get the adjusting bolt out of the center of the bearing and back into the new one. The new style tapered bearings are what most people are using now. Regardless, buy two and after replacing this one you will have a spare for the day that you feel this starting all over again.

I use my clutch at lights rather than sit in neutral. That causes them to wear out faster.

I always usually sit in neutral. Thanks for the replies. Yeah I'll check it out myself this weekend since I forgot the primary cover doesn't have to come off. I'm gettin lazy. :p Hopefully the bearing is the fix.

Oli1200 7th August 2021 20:58

I just removed my primary cover to check things out. I removed the throwout bearing and c-clip and it appears to be fine, everything is intact and its not flopping around. The shifter springs appear to be fine as well. The shift shaft had a little bit of front to back play and little bit of side to side play which I would think is normal-ish? Everything appeared to be normal, nothing found is my fluid.

Fivecats 8th August 2021 06:05

since its apart

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fivecats (Post 5909076)
Back off the primary chain adjustment a tad {1/8 turn} even if its "by the book".

Nibelungen 8th August 2021 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fivecats (Post 5909076)
Back off the primary chain adjustment a tad {1/8 turn} even if its "by the book".

correct...
also put in a good brand new expensive and syn gear oil (fitted for gears and clutches altogether)

at worse
new gear oil it does not harm
and if backing off a bit the primary chain... wouldn't resolve... you can ever bring back the tensioner like before

as a matter of fact... nothing to loose

Oli1200 29th August 2021 17:49

update

So apparently a cracked clutch hub can cause my issues. I always knew ONE of my clutch hub fingers had been chipped and damaged when I replaced my clutch in 2016. I didn't think it would matter much but I'm told my clutch doesn't sit properly the way it's supposed to because of the crack.

wedge 29th August 2021 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oli1200 (Post 5913891)
So apparently a cracked clutch hub can cause my issues. I always knew ONE of my clutch hub fingers had been chipped and damaged when I replaced my clutch in 2016. I didn't think it would matter much but I'm told my clutch doesn't sit properly the way it's supposed to because of the crack.

That's a possible.

gary59 14th September 2021 03:41

There is another thing you can adjust inside the primary.. I watched a youtube video of Doc Harley a couple of days ago. It requires a drill bit.

SonWon 14th September 2021 10:07

Please do share the youtube link.

ChinCactus 14th September 2021 15:14

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=95+...%3DNT_MxPOHw5w