The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Motorcycle Camping (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=283)
-   -   how do you pack stuff on a sportster? (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1516935)

mooseye 31st July 2012 07:45

how do you pack stuff on a sportster?
 
I have one problem with my sportster. I can't carry anything with me that won't fit in my pockets or the very small wal-m bag I have hanging under the head light.
I have the short ,stock I guess, sissy bar but I don't like to bungie a quart of gin to it.
What do some of you folks use?

DK Custom 31st July 2012 09:26

Since my sporty is my daily ride, and I got no cage, I have ammo cans I use as saddlebags. Strong, waterproof and hold quite a bit. If I need more than that, going camping, shopping, etc, I use stuff sacks.

MacSporty02 31st July 2012 10:01

I use a T-Bag Roll Bag on the front above the headlight, it holds quite a bit

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...Crownpoint.jpg

Phaedrus 31st July 2012 11:41

The Higgy Rack
 
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...00/rack008.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...00/rack001.jpg

named after the inventor and a play on the phrase "piggy back"

Lud 31st July 2012 12:37

Custom sissy bar on a QD rack - it's about 20" high.

Using molle packs/ bungies I can carry 2x10 liter side pouches that zip together n slide over the bar/ bungie down. plus i carry a micro back pack that folds into a square
4"x4"x2" that velcros to the bar.

Just came back from 10day / 1500 mile tour or Spain / France n had all my camping gear in these and a 45 litre rucksack + tent (ruck held clothes/sleeping bag/emergency kit / tool kit)


WoodE 31st July 2012 12:56

+1 on the ammo cans.

Brad 31st July 2012 13:42

Here's a couple threads.

Please Post Photos Of Your Sportster Loaded For The Road

Show me your bike ~ set up for camping!

I eventually went the saddlebag route, but I was reluctant to put any bags on at first.

ParrotHead 31st July 2012 14:19

It depends on what you want to carry. Small stuff, add a set of saddle bags and/or a luggage rack. If you want to carry more stuff needed for a road trip or to go camping there are many options depending on your imagination and how much you want to spend. Check out the threads Brad posted for ideas.

xllent01 31st July 2012 14:37

Like this,


Sissy bar bag from China-mart $29.99 and two sleeping bags over the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...:tour



http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...1/DSC00563.jpg

mooseye 31st July 2012 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 4078752)
I eventually went the saddlebag route, but I was reluctant to put any bags on at first.

Thats my problem. I like the clean look of the sportster. I guess I could get some throw over bags that would be easily removed for bar hopping.

Sportsman Matt 22nd August 2012 04:51

Here's how I was set up for my run to Florida. 6 days total, 33 hours and 1,600 miles down, 2 days in Dunedin FL, and 36 hours and 1400 miles back.....

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/r...t/DSCF1983.jpg

I didn't rough it though, stopped overnight on the way down for 3 hours to dry off from 4 hours of riding in torrential downpours, then on the ride back hit 8 thunderstorms over 10 hours and was passing blood, so figured I needed the rest, so I spent 8 hours in Virginia at a Best Western and took it easy riding home.

krono 22nd August 2012 05:04

I use saddlebags and a military backpack attached to the high sissy bar.

sportsterpaul 22nd August 2012 05:30

Matt: That was an awesome bit of riding, a tip of the hat to you. May we assume that you have recuperated fully?

ozark 22nd August 2012 06:05

Throw over saddlebags
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseye (Post 4078648)
I have one problem with my sportster. I can't carry anything with me that won't fit in my pockets or the very small wal-m bag I have hanging under the head light.
I have the short ,stock I guess, sissy bar but I don't like to bungie a quart of gin to it.
What do some of you folks use?

Throw over saddlebags

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/12...V_ON_05_XL.jpg

Get'em here: XL SERIES IV Plain Jane Harley Davidson Sportster motorcycle saddlebags


Ozark

xbmxxx 22nd August 2012 06:37

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...g?t=1345609895

4 person tent
2 sleeping bags
2 camp mats
water bottles
first aid kit
3 changes of clothes for 2 people
bunch of other crap like video camera, etc

I wussed out of actually taking it like this though, and cut it about in half. That was excessive for a 3 day trip.

US Army Medic bag from Army/Navy and a HD sissy bar.

wysper 22nd August 2012 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by DK Custom (Post 4078690)
Since my sporty is my daily ride, and I got no cage, I have ammo cans I use as saddlebags. Strong, waterproof and hold quite a bit. If I need more than that, going camping, shopping, etc, I use stuff sacks.

Hi DK,

How did you mount the ammo tins?

Dirt Hill 22nd August 2012 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by xbmxxx (Post 4110684)
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...g?t=1345609895

4 person tent
2 sleeping bags
2 camp mats
water bottles
first aid kit
3 changes of clothes for 2 people
bunch of other crap like video camera, etc

I wussed out of actually taking it like this though, and cut it about in half. That was excessive for a 3 day trip.

US Army Medic bag from Army/Navy and a HD sissy bar.

Holy Hell !!!! That bike is PACKED.

Lud 22nd August 2012 22:10

I'll take a airbed over a camp mat any day of the week (unless they puncture lol) better thermal insulation /lighter/ more compact and the double ones are like a average sized bed. Makes for a much less bulky loadout, just need a small pump & a repair kit ...just in case :)

lfvc77 3rd October 2012 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseye (Post 4078648)
I have one problem with my sportster. I can't carry anything...

I do not have that problem with mine, I do with a pair of Nelson Riggs saddlebags and a Shad tourpak

Here's my bike grocery shopping the other day with a 2 weeks supply of groceries, there's also room for more on the pillion.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...-09-11-433.jpg

All packed

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...-09-11-434.jpg

All out of bags and case

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...-09-11-435.jpg

lfvc77 3rd October 2012 08:15

Not my sportster but my Suzuki GN125

3 boxes of 12 one litre carton of milk (about 9 gal), 50lb bag of dog food, 16lb bag of cat food, big box of cereal, plus my messenger bag, rain suit and skates.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...-09-19-460.jpg


http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...-09-19-462.jpg


http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...-09-19-465.jpg

mooseye 3rd October 2012 19:42

I think we have a winner! You have just ruined my excuse to my OL for not bringing home takeout for diner when I am going somewhere on my scoot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfvc77 (Post 4168068)
Not my sportster but my Suzuki GN125

3 boxes of 12 one litre carton of milk (about 9 gal), 50lb bag of dog food, 16lb bag of cat food, big box of cereal, plus my messenger bag, rain suit and skates.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...-09-19-460.jpg


http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...-09-19-462.jpg


http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...-09-19-465.jpg


RYHD 3rd October 2012 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirt Hill (Post 4110692)
Holy Hell !!!! That bike is PACKED.

By the beard of Zeus! That is impressive, would be interesting to see photos of the most stacked and packed sporty along with description of contents...

Grim 3rd October 2012 21:01

Licks solo bag, holds 2litre bottle of pop, or a 6 pack. Perfect for the little things you don't want to stuff, or can't stuff in your pockets. I have two, one on each side...

Licks Solo Bag

mooseye 3rd October 2012 21:18

I went ahead an bought a really cheap set of throw overs for when I need them. I know some will say should have gone for quality, but...

lfvc77 3rd October 2012 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseye (Post 4168393)
I went ahead an bought a really cheap set of throw overs for when I need them. I know some will say should have gone for quality, but...

Come on man, you know the rules, picture please :D

goblin_dust 3rd October 2012 21:26

I'm daily commuter have to cary just a few things to work. Tour pack works best for me, did not like throw over bags much, fabric gets dirty from daily usage, not as durable.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...t/IMAG0133.jpg

DK Custom 3rd October 2012 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by wysper (Post 4110689)
Hi DK,

How did you mount the ammo tins?

Sorry, just saw this.

There is an aluminum plate (painted black) bolted to the fender struts and then the cans are bolted to the plate with 1/2" spacers to offset it from the plate.

I used some LED light bars on the side and back of ammo cans for blinkers.

Here are a couple of pics-

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...ApesSissy3.jpg


http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...ApesSissy2.jpg

mooseye 3rd October 2012 21:58

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg155...pg&res=landing
Quote:

Originally Posted by lfvc77 (Post 4168398)
Come on man, you know the rules, picture please :D

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/155/tn6l.jpghttp://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/155/tn6l.jpg/
http://xlforum.net/forums/<...;0&quot;/></a>

Bob F 3rd October 2012 23:18

Quote:

What do some of you folks use?
I use the original Tourpak. It came on my 1976 FLH. It's been on all my scoots for decades.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/97_softtail_2.jpg

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/50...rear_002C1.jpg

And I insulated it just in case:

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Cooler.jpg

Loner 3rd October 2012 23:40

no pics
for daily use I Motocentric Centrek backpack or if I shooting photos then its my Tamrac Adventure 9 photo-computer backpack

For camping I used to use a big duffle bag put the tent,pad,bag inside and bungee it to the back seat.
for road trips I usually use a magnetic tank bag and a tailpack made for sport bikes, well we do ride Sporties after all.

I'll see if I can dig up a pic from when I camp in Hollister CA

Nowdays my idea of roughing it is if the motel only has basic cable.

Counter Steer 4th October 2012 16:05

I use two duffle bags, one on the bars and the other in front of the sissy bar. The duffle bag in back can hold a lot of stuff. The one in front, tool kit, gloves, glasses, door opener, etc. My only issue is they are not water proof, but so far that has not been an issue. I have a spare black garbage bag inside the large one and a spare white kitchen bag in the smaller bag just in case I get caught far from home. Rain Gear rides in the large bag.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/DSCN5483.jpg

SuperTed 4th October 2012 16:16

The Sporty is my main mode of transport. A messenger bag slung over my back works perfect for carrying my coffee/lunch to work and booze home after work.

Never been a fan of saddlebags and touring packs on Sportys.

lfvc77 4th October 2012 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loner (Post 4168492)
no pics...

...or if I shooting photos then its my Tamrac Adventure 9 photo-computer backpack

I'll see if I can dig up a pic ...

Please do :)

Bone 4th October 2012 16:44

Holy old thread batman - but WTF...

http://www.gigabikes.com/gallery/alb...19-58_247a.jpg

lfvc77 4th October 2012 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Counter Steer (Post 4169387)
I use two duffle bags, one on the bars and the other in front of the sissy bar. The duffle bag in back can hold a lot of stuff. The one in front, tool kit, gloves, glasses, door opener, etc. My only issue is they are not water proof, but so far that has not been an issue. I have a spare black garbage bag inside the large one and a spare white kitchen bag in the smaller bag just in case I get caught far from home. Rain Gear rides in the large bag.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/DSCN5483.jpg

Faithful down to the bags

http://motosfo.com/wp-content/upload...ebronsonbw.jpg

lfvc77 4th October 2012 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bone (Post 4169426)
Holy old thread batman - but WTF...

http://www.gigabikes.com/gallery/alb...19-58_247a.jpg

I like to dig them up :p

twitch 7th June 2013 23:56

Love that sissy bar!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

mmike956 10th November 2013 22:33

A side car would be a nice option. One that's removeable without too much trouble. If one does exist. In '72 a friend of mine had a Honda 350 scrambler with a side car and you could pack a lot of stuff in that enclosure! It was a heavy weight for the weak 350 but we could get 70 mph out of it with two riders and a load of baggage. The sporty should be able to do better. Need a quick connect device though. What do you think?

DK Custom 11th November 2013 00:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DK Custom (Post 4168406)
Sorry, just saw this.

There is an aluminum plate (painted black) bolted to the fender struts and then the cans are bolted to the plate with 1/2" spacers to offset it from the plate.

I used some LED light bars on the side and back of ammo cans for blinkers.



http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...ApesSissy2.jpg

Old Thread!!!

Changed up a few things on the Sporty-

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...ps35a2dc9b.jpg

Kevin

sportsterpaul 1st April 2014 05:24

1 Attachment(s)
This was last September, loaded up for a week of running through Ontario with "IronMick" and "John K". The tankbag, ( Wolfman expandable), carries complete raingear, spare gloves and glasses, plastic cleaner and microfiber cloth, maps, spare change and snack food. The 'rocket launchers, mounted to both rear struts carry tools, while the fork bag has a tire plug kit, extra bungee cords, ohm meter, spare bulbs. The lower bag at the rear, a "Wolfman Mini-Beta", secures a 12 volt compressor, air gage, jumper cables, transfer pump and hose, tent,(Eureka Apex 2-man), sleeping pad, mummy bag and fleece liner, stove and extra fuel,("Sprinks" SVEA), while the upper, another Wolfman medium duffle, carries spare clothes and shaving kit. A solid ground cloth folds up and rides between the bags. This way I'm good for anything more than a simple overnight or weekend.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:17.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
XL Forum® - Linson Media LLC