The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ironhead Ironhead engine problem? (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2080533)

Congojack 26th November 2021 23:58

Ironhead engine problem?

Hey guys I have a 76 xlch, I was having a problem where the engine was stuttering when I would open the throttle, it wouldn’t happen all the time and some days were better than others. I first thought carb, since the carb would also spill a lot of gas on kick start(sometimes a lot other times not so much). I rebuilt the carb, noticed that the fuel bowl nozzle wasn’t spraying gas tried to clean, eventually I bought a new fuel bowl( it’s a bendix 38mm carb) and put it back together. At first it was difficult to start, but I messed around with the jet settings and eventually I got it going. It rode pretty good for about two days, today I took it out, I noticed it was backfiring and stuttering a bit. I tried to take off at a red light and it stuttered to go and turned off. I tried to turn it back on and was successful, but when I went to take off it kept stalling. Eventually It didn’t turn back on and I ended up walking about 2 miles back home. Any ideas or suggestions?

Gold Member 27th November 2021 01:08

Are all your grounds good?

Congojack 27th November 2021 01:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Member (Post 5926485)
Are all your grounds good?

Not sure honestly. What should I look for?

jeffro57 27th November 2021 02:24

crap in your fuel system, start with your tank, lines ,filter then your carb again

doodah man 27th November 2021 03:13

Still running points? Make sure your point gap hasn’t closed up, and make sure you don’t have a broken advance spring.

Fivecats 27th November 2021 04:50

Fuel tank venting OK?

Whitewalls 27th November 2021 05:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodah man (Post 5926492)
Still running points? Make sure your point gap hasn’t closed up, and make sure you don’t have a broken advance spring.

+1

These are classic ignition system issues associated with points, condenser and advance.

bustert 27th November 2021 12:03

murphy's law states
it probably is the last thing i touched

Congojack 27th November 2021 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodah man (Post 5926492)

Yeah I’m running points. I’ll have to look into that, I do notice that there is also crap in the tank, so I’ll have to take care of that as well.

Congojack 27th November 2021 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fivecats (Post 5926494)
Fuel tank venting OK?

I believe so, fuel seems to be flowing to the carb, there’s a good amount of fuel in the in line filter