The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Sportster Motorcycle Accessories (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Whats a bigger priority - FF or W/shield? (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16091)

evalea 3rd November 2005 03:03

Whats a bigger priority - FF or W/shield?

Ahh, the joys of a limited budget :frownthre

So anyway, I'm trying to decide which is more important/useful/needed.
Full face helmet or a windshield.

I'm planning on riding in all weather, rain or shine, luckily down here in S. Louisiana it doesn't get really get too cold to ride (read icy). What is going to be more useful to protect me from both the chilly wind and in wet weather? I mostly ride around town with the odd longer ride on weekends with my HOG chapter.
I'm going to end up with both, but I can get one now and one in a few months and I wanted those who 'know' these things, which one will be more useful to get first.

Thanks all.

Sportster Girl 3rd November 2005 03:06

I like the FF helmet over the shield.

If you prefer the 'open air' feel of the half helmet, you might prefer the windshield.

I like the safety of the FF, plus I love smacking bugs with it. Riding in the rain? No problemo!

GOTWA 3rd November 2005 03:12

While the two share similiar benefits, I personally think they are a lot different.

For me, myself, and I, and my riding style and my enjoyment from riding, I do not want a windshield on my Sporty. On an E-Glide? Sure. Not my Sporty.

For one thing, I don't want the buffeting or the resistance. And to be honest, I like to feel the wind.

Now a FF helmet to me is another matter. I am going to get either that or a good 3/4 with face shield. Not so much for the rain, to me that isn't a huge deal, but for the bugs and cold. It certainly will not be a replacement helmet for my 1/2 but it surely will have it's place.

Another thing to consider is if the FF makes you feel safer (and arguably it is from a protection stand point). Feeling safer often results in being safer.

Kath 3rd November 2005 03:12

Well, we're talking about 2 things with different purposes here so its hard to compare. FF is, of course, a safety item.....windshield is a comfort item. Heck, I'll go so far as to say that for winter, they both are needed ;) A full face will help the cold air on your face, true, but it won't do anything to block it from your chest and neck.

You can get a DOT approved full face helmet (like HJC) for $100. Then check out eBay for a used windshield. Only buy a new helmet though. At least it will get you by on a budget and you can cruise in comfort for the winter :)

xena 3rd November 2005 03:13

If you are planning on both I'd definitely go with the FF helmet first. I prefer the FF in the cooler weather.

DM-SC 3rd November 2005 03:33

I went the FF route this week. Two reasons:

1) I may have to sell my sporty soon so I can get a bike better suited to 2-up, long distance riding (another full topic in it's self!). I don't want to spend anymore money on the sporty until this situation is done with. The FF stays with me..

2) I think the FF is better at protecting me from the elements of weather.

willprevale 3rd November 2005 03:36

If I had to make a singlular choice, it would be the windshield. I do a lotta long distance riding and a windshield keeps me from being pushed back in the saddle... and that is very fatiguing. I keep mine low enough where I can still get the wind in my face.

Big_Baazzoo 3rd November 2005 03:45

I rode for many years with no wind shield ... but when the going got tough, the tough got going. With a FF helmet, Rain, Snow, (maybe not hail or a tornado) but the energizer bunny "just keeps going".

But now I am almost 50. I like a little tombstone WS, just to take the edge off, mind you. (after you had multiple compound fractures and broken ribs, the wind can be downright merciless at times.)

I still remember my first FF helmet, a nice Bell. It was so quiet, and comfy, I was wondering why so many people thought they needed wind sheilds, and the thought occurred to me how much more aero-dynamic a helmet is than my ugly mug.

hey, around town, a half shell is cool, people can see your face and wave "HI" and that is cool, but on any kind of mileage-making trip, a fresh FF helmet is mandatory.

Randum77 3rd November 2005 03:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by willprevale
If I had to make a singlular choice, it would be the windshield. I do a lotta long distance riding and a windshield keeps me from being pushed back in the saddle... and that is very fatiguing. I keep mine low enough where I can still get the wind in my face.

Right on. If i had a choice between either one, i would say Windsheild. I do alot of riding when I do ride and my head starts to hurt from all the bobbing it does at high speed. I would prefer the windsheild to keep that from happening.

oakies 3rd November 2005 04:19

The last thing I ever wanted on my sporty was a windshield. Untill someone offered to give me a new one for free. I didnt want to sound ungratefull so I told them I'de try it for a week or so then let them know if I wanted it. I put it on a year ago and its never been off. I dont notice the difference much under 45 MPH but its great an on a 150 mile ride at 60 MPH. Plus it really looks a lot better than I thought it would..