The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMョ

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMョ (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ironhead 77-78 OEM exhaust baffle removal (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2071532)

Scott 5th November 2018 18:39

Thanks for the info, Chuck. Sportyparts has a performance oriented (claimed) 2 into 1 that looks like it might be too low for right turns. They also have an equally pricey XLCH repop 2 into 1 high pipe, which would work great if it has any performance advantage. Has anyone tried the repop exhaust?

Chuckthebeatertruck 5th November 2018 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 5710941)
Thanks for the info, Chuck. Sportyparts has a performance oriented (claimed) 2 into 1 that looks like it might be too low for right turns. They also have an equally pricey XLCH repop 2 into 1 high pipe, which would work great if it has any performance advantage. Has anyone tried the repop exhaust?

Note the "performance" pipe is for '71 and up . . .

I wouldn't try to make a high pipe work on a track.

Scott 5th November 2018 20:18

Just out of curiosity, why avoid high pipes on race bikes? My goal is to keep the exhaust off the ground in turns. I imagine this was the thinking behind the XR750 high pipes, though I知 not building a flat tracker and have to keep both the left and right sides off the pavement. I知 no welder, but I think I値l have to build my own. I can tack with my MIG and let a professional do the final welding.

Chuckthebeatertruck 5th November 2018 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 5710963)
Just out of curiosity, why avoid high pipes on race bikes? My goal is to keep the exhaust off the ground in turns. I imagine this was the thinking behind the XR750 high pipes, though I知 not building a flat tracker and have to keep both the left and right sides off the pavement. I知 no welder, but I think I値l have to build my own. I can tack with my MIG and let a professional do the final welding.

Take a long look at how that pipe fits. Think about these three things when you're really getting into the loud handle:

1) You're crawling around the bike trying to keep your inner thigh and nads off the pipe. Run a big old carb and now you've got lots of stuff to move around as you're trying to snap into a corner.

2) You need something rigid to mount the muffler to -- the pipes are just a tight press fit. So, you need some type of rigid strut and the clamps to make it all work. Again -- weight.

3) Tight bends and short dump out . . .which we know aren't condusive to top end power. Mid-range, yes. But, if you're on tracks where you need to wind it out . . .

Sure, they can work fine -- but why spend the $$ for a very particular system when there are other combos that do the deed well, are cheaper, and won't fry your nuggets :wonderlan

I'll have to snap some photos for you of my 59H with the stock 2:1. You'll see a VERY specific wear mark on the right side of my tire, the right muffler can, and the right peg. You literally can't lean the bike any further over . . . or the tire slip angle is gone. If I can do that running a stock 2:1 can on street tires -- I'm betting you'll be just fine on the track.

To be clear -- I think the 2:1 high pipe is one of the most beautiful exhausts HD produced . . . I just wouldn't race it on a track.

Scott 5th November 2018 21:12

Thanks for the info. Is this the type of pipe on your '59?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Harley...UAAOSwN3Nb3fD7

Chuckthebeatertruck 5th November 2018 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 5710976)
Thanks for the info. Is this the type of pipe on your '59?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Harley...UAAOSwN3Nb3fD7

Yes.

Notice the bluing on the rear pipe and at the y junction? Imagine how HOT that would be on the high pipe in a race :p

And, to be honest, I'm watching that auction now. I normally hate MachIV -- but these pipes are getting harder to find. If it stays at a sane price, it might be hanging in my rafters shortly.

ryder rick 7th November 2018 14:59

That ebay pipe doesnt have a very nice merge.

It leaves lots of power on the table.

Chuckthebeatertruck 7th November 2018 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryder rick (Post 5711204)
That ebay pipe doesnt have a very nice merge.

Well, that's probably because it wasn't designed to have a "very nice merge" -- it was designed more than 60 years ago to fit the bike and easily mount up a real muffler.

You know, a design from a time when people actually still used bikes for transportation and cops actually gave you noise tickets or the neighbors would "gently" tell you to shut it up. A time when the interstate was just coming into being and "fast" meant 55-60 mph. A time when common accessories included windshields, hard saddle bags, and buddy seats -- on a SPORTSTER for gods sake. Don't they know only hells angels and stop light drag racers ride sportsters?

You know, 60 years ago when the advertising literature showed a young man in a polo shirt, chinos, and loafers enjoying his sporty in the countryside with his fully made up, "prim and proper" lady friend on the back holding a picnic basket.

Yeah, the 2:1 leaves so much power on the table you can "only" get the bike up to an honest 105 or so mph. Terrible, terrible performance for 60 years ago when your saddle bags are filled with groceries.

So, what's a guy to do if he wants to go fast in 1960, pick up a date, and still be able to live in a neighborhood?

A glance at the accessory catalog gives you the answer: interconnected duals :doh

Sorry, Rick, I couldn't resist.

ryder rick 7th November 2018 20:20

But did you leave scars in its flanks with your spurs to reach that magical 105mph, or did you just roll it on? :laugh

brianbbs67 8th November 2018 02:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckthebeatertruck (Post 5710986)
Yes.

Notice the bluing on the rear pipe and at the y junction? Imagine how HOT that would be on the high pipe in a race :p

And, to be honest, I'm watching that auction now. I normally hate MachIV -- but these pipes are getting harder to find. If it stays at a sane price, it might be hanging in my rafters shortly.

That's one worth watching. I hear ya about MIV but parts are parts. I'd bet ot escalates in about 3 days. But you never know and that guy doesn't care what it sells for as long as it sells...