The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   2016 Oil Drain Hose Has Cracks (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2076312)

SonWon 9th April 2020 08:07

2016 Oil Drain Hose Has Cracks

Yesterday, I was going to change the oil on my 2016 Sportster. When I went to pull the plug in the oil drain hose I discovered the line had several cracks. Oddly I can only see the cracks on the plug side of the oil line. I will know more after I replace the line. Also I examined the other oil lines and they look okay. I am wondering if I should replace all of the hoses? Is there any history of trouble with the oil lines cracking or bursting?

The bottom two oil lines on the oil tank are damp with oil. I believe this is from the clamps and plan to replace them both with proper ones in place of those crimp clamps. The top two lines are dry so I'll leave those alone. Or maybe the oil drain line is cracked around the crimp clamp where I can not see?

rokytnji 9th April 2020 09:05

Dry rot is usually exhibited when the hoses get hard .

Any iffy stiff hoses I find., I replace.

NGOT8R 9th April 2020 12:37

That is rather soon for a 2016 to have the oil lines from the tank dry-rotting. Has the bike been kept outside? Just wondering, but then again, maybe they could be cheap quality rubber hoses that the MoCo used. IMO, it appears that they like to use substandard parts at times, but want to charge premium prices for their product. Having said all of that, if I were you, I would look for better quality hoses and change all of them at the same time, so that they are on the same maintenance schedule. Hopefully you will get much a better lifespan out of an improved product.

SonWon 9th April 2020 16:30

I have the new hose now and it is softer than the old one however I would expect that. It appears to me that the oil drain hose is a different type of hose than the other three. I suspect this is true since there is no pressure on the hose other than the weight of the oil in the tank. I can detect no reinforcement metal or cord inside the hose. I would expect the other hoses are reinforced since they carry pressure, not cutting them open to find out. :)

It does appear the old hose could have dry rotted. I guess the hose dried out shrunk and therefore cracked. When you look into the crack areas it almost appears there is another hose under the crack. The new one is solid hose so I don't know. I too was surprised that it had cracks. If it had let go it could have made for an exciting time on the Autobahn at 90 mph. I am glad I will not get a chance to experience that. :tour

I will examine the remaining hoses carefully when it is on the lift for the oil change.

SonWon 9th April 2020 16:34

Oh, the bike is stored outside under a carport with a cover over the bike. The cover keeps the sun off everything below axles and foot pegs. I have cardboard protecting the front tire from direct sunlight. So the sun never reaches any of the rubber stuff accept when riding.

NGOT8R 9th April 2020 16:49

Oh ok, well I’m glad you noticed it when you did and are taking corrective action. It could have been disastrous from both safety and mechanical standpoints.

SonWon 10th April 2020 08:57

I've been thinking this through and it is possible last year or before I could have sprayed that hose with a cleaner that degraded the hose which would explain why it is only degraded on one end. Once I get the hose out I will know for sure how far the cracks go.

Highly-Dangerous 10th April 2020 13:15

Weird/Interesting... keep us posted on your findings.

Pics?

SonWon 11th May 2020 13:29

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I've um been test riding. :tour

The oil is changed and the line is replaced. There were only cracks on the plug side of the hose. So I must have sprayed that hose at least once with brake cleaner. Apparently the hose material is not compatible with brake cleaner which I find odd since there are rubber pieces in the braking system. Anyway if you have sprayed brake cleaner on the hose you best check it for cracks and if you have not then don't!

The hose is easy to replace. I suggest removing the belt guard first, only two bolts. Tape the end of the new hose before pushing it through to keep slime out. Oh, drain all the oil first too or you will get an unpleasant surprise.

Removing the old clamps was the worst part since I was a little concerned for the oil tank. I used heavy duty wire cutters and had to twist a little too. I used regular screw clamps to put it back together. I did something right since there are no oil leaks. :)

Highly-Dangerous 11th May 2020 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonWon (Post 5823992)
Sorry for not getting back sooner. I've um been test riding. :tour

The oil is changed and the line is replaced. There were only cracks on the plug side of the hose. So I must have sprayed that hose at least once with brake cleaner. Apparently the hose material is not compatible with brake cleaner which I find odd since there are rubber pieces in the braking system. Anyway if you have sprayed brake cleaner on the hose you best check it for cracks and if you have not then don't!

The hose is easy to replace. I suggest removing the belt guard first, only two bolts. Tape the end of the new hose before pushing it through to keep slime out. Oh, drain all the oil first too or you will get an unpleasant surprise.

Removing the old clamps was the worst part since I was a little concerned for the oil tank. I used heavy duty wire cutters and had to twist a little too. I used regular screw clamps to put it back together. I did something right since there are no oil leaks. :)

Good to know. Thank you.

:tour