The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Broken clutch cable (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2061116)

Stairman 11th February 2018 15:21

Broken clutch cable

My clutch cable broke Friday. The eye at the lever broke. I was lucky because I was back in town. I called and got a ride home, then picked up my trailer and retrieved the bike. It could have happened out in the middle of no where. Now I'm waiting on E-Bay.

oreocat1 11th February 2018 15:39

I've always worried that might happen on an older bike, but over all the bikes I've had over 40 years it never has to me.
You iced in down there? Not real bad up here in Columbia but nobody is on the road.

kap 11th February 2018 17:12

I used to carry a 'quick fix' and used it once and it lasted for over a yr, lol. It went in the handle and the end of the cable went in a hole and you wrenched it down to pinch the cable. It took all of 20 minutes to get up and going. If I was running old cable I would look to see if they still made them. High on the list of the best couple of $$ I ever thought to spend. It sat in my tool pouch for a few yrs before I needed it.

Stairman 11th February 2018 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by oreocat1 (Post 5644193)
I've always worried that might happen on an older bike, but over all the bikes I've had over 40 years it never has to me.
You iced in down there? Not real bad up here in Columbia but nobody is on the road.

Yeah, we've got ice. I haven't left the house today. Take care.

sportsterpaul 11th February 2018 22:33

You’re a lucky guy Jim, course I crushed my Tach and Speedo last fall.

John Harper 11th February 2018 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by oreocat1 (Post 5644193)

My sister owns one of the "Peanut Brittle Houses" in Columbia near Mizzou! Built in the early 1900's. She said they had an ice storm. Brrrr.

Shorts weather here in SoCal again today!

John

sportsterpaul 11th February 2018 23:05

Well we had over 20 inches of white stuff over the weekend. My shoulder and ribs hate me.

Stairman 12th February 2018 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Harper (Post 5644275)
My sister owns one of the "Peanut Brittle Houses" in Columbia near Mizzou! Built in the early 1900's. She said they had an ice storm. Brrrr.

Shorts weather here in SoCal again today!

John

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsterpaul (Post 5644276)
Well we had over 20 inches of white stuff over the weekend. My shoulder and ribs hate me.

It's starting to melt off here, but no riding for me. I'm waiting on the new cable to arrive. Got one on E-Bay for $22.99 w/free shipping.
Paul, don't sneeze.:D

bustert 13th February 2018 03:51

learn to shift, drive with out the clutch. be dang if i will hitch hike or push, been there done that.

DEEP DIVER 13th February 2018 10:15

Any excuse not to ride just because thers some white stuff about. :doh