The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Harley vs. Yamaha (wannabe?) (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5759)

2wheeltodd 16th April 2005 04:12

Harley vs. Yamaha (wannabe?)

I pull into this gas station to put the 12 dollars into my 4 gallon tank, and this guy pulls into the pump space in front of me. I can't hear his bike so I am thinking he's riding a Japanese something or other. I mind my own business, give the guy a nod, and fill the tank. I turn to go pay the attendant, and this guy is standing on the curb looking at my bike and says.."That looks like a new Sportster, when did you get it?" I was kind of in a hurry and did'nt feel much like talking to this guy, but I humored him and told him I picked it up in February. He points over to his bike and says that he also picked up his bike in February, he says he has always really wanted a Harley, but said they were way too expensive, he goes on, and on about Harley this and Yamaha that, and what a SMART decision he felt he made on purchasing his Yamaha 750 cruiser. Then he says "it's the same thing as a Harley." (I could barely hold back, when he drops the bomb, and says "yea and for 10 grand I could'nt go wrong.") As I was starting my 1200 I was respectful and said, "yea YOU could'nt go wrong, but did you ever price a Harley?" - True story.

Deicer18 16th April 2005 04:34

Before I bought my bike, a (good) friend of mine had his nephew call me trying to sell his Kawasaki. He couldn't give me a good reason for buying it, just kept telling me that my harley would shake apart before the warranty expired. Told me that all I was getting was a "name" and nothing else. I was polite to the nephew and declined his offer to sell me his peice of sh :censor it but I called my (good) friend and read him the riot act.

I hate it when anyone cuts someone else's choice. I would have never done that and didn't appreciate it 1 bit. Needless to say, that (good) friend is not so good now.

jwb47 16th April 2005 05:26

it never ceases to amaze me that people just assume some fictional price difference. when I was looking to trade bikes i actually traded cheaper with h-d than what I could of traded with honda on a vtx 1300 they wanted my bike and 6300 for a new vtx and I traded with harley for my bike and 5400. if you compare the ultra glide to the gold wing there is no difference in price both dressed out 21,000. the big difference is when you compare a 750 to a soft tail or dyna. sure they cost twice as much but the have twice the displacement. but alot of people have on rose colored glasses and always compare apples to oranges.

Barry Clark 16th April 2005 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwb47
it never ceases to amaze me that people just assume some fictional price difference. when I was looking to trade bikes i actually traded cheaper with h-d than what I could of traded with honda on a vtx 1300 they wanted my bike and 6300 for a new vtx and I traded with harley for my bike and 5400. if you compare the ultra glide to the gold wing there is no difference in price both dressed out 21,000. the big difference is when you compare a 750 to a soft tail or dyna. sure they cost twice as much but the have twice the displacement. but alot of people have on rose colored glasses and always compare apples to oranges.

Not to mention that the VTX 1300's are pigs. When I was out shopping, I knew I wanted a sporty but I shopped about. I have owned older Hondas such as the fabled 70's CB models. I liked those bikes and still do. I got to talking to the sales guy and he went on about how the vtx will out-perform the sportster out of the box any day. Get it on the highway and then you will really see the light with a VTx he says. I say, so let me take it for a spin. Oh no, he says. The guys at HD said pick one and take off. I did and they got my business. At the time, I had no way of knowing whether or not the VTX was more of what I wanted but the guys at Earl Small's let me find out before I put myself in debt to them. Soon after I got the Sporty, I came up next to a guy on a VTX who really didn't seem to like me or the Sporty. At the time, my Sporty was not running the way she is now. The previous owner did some seriously performance hindering mod's to it and that is how it sat when I was next to the VTX. He snapped the throttle and I could barely heat him. hehe. When the stoplights perpendicular to us turned yellow. He leaned forward and gave the throttle a little hold and twist. I figured, why not. Even with my Sporty less than optimal (prolly less than showroom standard), I left this guy without issue. He never caught up. We were on a long stretch and I was going about 80 in no time. His went 80 in due time. hehe. Racing isn't something I normally do, but I thought this would be an opportunity to see what I passed on. I made the right choice. hehe.

Nu Viking 16th April 2005 07:32

I always fell, If the person wants a Yamaha then get a Yamaha and be proud of it. Comaring the bike that they purchased with a HD makes me think why didnt they get an older cheap bike to get them in the wind till they could buy a Harley cause lets face it , its probley what they really want in the first place. I have never heard from a Harley owner that his bike is almost as good as a Honda and sounds alot like a Yamaha and nor does Mercedes care what a suzuki car costs

Barry Clark 16th April 2005 08:06

I hate it when people buy a bike they will have a complex about. I got the bike I wanted and the world can dislike it for all I care. None of that "I hope people don't think that I ride a girl's bike" mess. If I owned a Yamaha or whatever, there wouldn't be the "I Harley riders don't pick on me" just either. I bought my bike for me to ride. If someone don't like it, then they know what not to buy.

Takingabreak 16th April 2005 08:23

Hi All.

Well, In my life I have had a Honda, a Yamaha and a Suzuki. All of these bikes (Trail Bikes) were well built and ran great. The Only true street only bikes I have ever owned have ben Harley Sportsters, that and I like to keep an American in a job.
It's more of a comfort thing, I just can get comfy on a Rice rocket, but they still make some fine bikes.
If you want one of then, Good for you, one more rider on the road is one less cager I have to watch out for.

Chief4x4 16th April 2005 09:52

I am 50-something years old, I have wanted a Sportster since I was a teen.

I've got one now...

sfw
I'm happy & having a great time!

Chief 4x4

jwb47 16th April 2005 14:21

I wasnt trying to flame metric bikes , they make some good machines , but they break just the same as every thing else. I am just sick of hearing h-ds cost to much , I had rather ride than wrench , the way I see it if a person want to ride a metric then ride a metric or if you really want a different bike but cant afford it ride what you can and save your pennies so you can get that dream bike. I have rode for over 30 years and many bikes in between, and as far as I am concerned my new sporty gives me the most satisfaction of any I have had , no regrets and I sure as hell am not gonna appologise to anybody for my bike choice I wanted it and I spent my dollars to get it .

thunderpaw 16th April 2005 15:58

Quote:

one more rider on the road is one less cager I have to watch out for.
Amen!

Kim