The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Sportster Motorcycle Drag Racing (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   what gear oil do you use? (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2075082)

jkinkade 8th November 2019 23:17

what gear oil do you use?
 
just wondering what gear box primary oil, people are using in there Sportsters & Buell when they are running a wet clutch?
thanks

Toejam503 8th November 2019 23:20

Mobil 1 20W50 V Twin Syn, the same as my engine, for 9 years now.

60Gunner 8th November 2019 23:50

spectro heavy duty primary chaincase oil

jkinkade 9th November 2019 00:32

thanks, Ibeen using Formula X,
been looking to change to Redline as I always ran Redline heavy Shockproof in big twins & was the best. but would not work with the primary. so looking to see if anyone using Redline oil in sporty Gear box & primary & what, they use.

motorend 9th November 2019 00:47

Had hd put the harley 80w140 in after they fixed my starter gasket leak.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxeffort 9th November 2019 02:01

20w50 four stroke motorcycle oil. Same as the engine. Usually Mobil One or Royal Purple.

When I changed from whatever the P.O. had in the trans to Royal Purple, the clutch and shifting action were noticeably better.

(Not looking to debate oils... just answering the question)

Tomcatt 9th November 2019 05:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkinkade (Post 5787299)
thanks, Ibeen using Formula X,
been looking to change to Redline as I always ran Redline heavy Shockproof in big twins & was the best. but would not work with the primary. so looking to see if anyone using Redline oil in sporty Gear box & primary & what, they use.

I've been using Redline Gear (hypoid) Oil 75w-90 or 110 or 140.

Are you drag racing or did you just put this question in an odd thread?

If I was going drag racing I'd put Redline Type F Racing ATF in the trans/primary.

My R9T has Redline Heavy Shockproof in its' tranny and final drive. As you noted it's not suited to our Sportsters' common trans/primary.

Davo_137 9th November 2019 06:19

Hi Krash.

I’ve been using the Spectro stuff aswell. Seems ok so far.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4fda5f9acd.jpg

jkinkade 9th November 2019 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomcatt (Post 5787346)
I've been using Redline Gear (hypoid) Oil 75w-90 or 110 or 140.

Are you drag racing or did you just put this question in an odd thread?

If I was going drag racing I'd put Redline Type F Racing ATF in the trans/primary.

My R9T has Redline Heavy Shockproof in its' tranny and final drive. As you noted it's not suited to our Sportsters' common trans/primary.

Hey Tomcatt , I want to take my sporty to the track & bracket race when I can.

Hey Davo good to see you how is your XR1200?

Tomcatt I put the question in here as, lot of quick Sporty's was not sure if they ride them on street like me or just at the track.
but would be good to know the best sporty gear box & primary oil as my gear box has a mild back cut for shifting quick, like the twin cam carb dyna I used to have, I used the heavy shockproof in that. I'm wondering if the Redline Light shockproof might be the best oil to use? as thinking it being light could work with the clutch. hope someone knows as I can get that oil ok.

Davo_137 9th November 2019 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkinkade (Post 5787351)
Hey Davo good to see you how is your XR1200?


XR looks a little different these days, set it up for touring, but I might set it up to do some more 1/4 mile stuff this summer, if the mood strikes.. getting abit hot for long trips up this way now and I’ve got a few ideas I want to try out at the track.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:56.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
XL Forum® - Linson Media LLC