The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Harley vs. Yamaha (wannabe?) (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5759)

gearhead 15th November 2005 17:53

whoa, talk about digging up an old thread. I thought this looked familiar. I didnt add my .02 back then, but i'll say something now.

When I got my bike i was about 2 seconds from getting a shadow. I had pretty much talked myself out of waiting until I could afford the Harley(FXDL). My old bike had been out of commission for about 2 years and I was just tired of not riding. For some reason(grace of God) I decided to go ahead and get a Sportster. I had never even considered a sportster in the past. My old college roomate got an 04 a few months before and I finally got to see/ride it. I had been holding out for an FXDL, but riding his Sportster convinced me it was a pretty sweet bike. That made the Harley option a bit cheaper, so that is what I got. There is alot more to that story, but that's how I got my Sportster 1200.

It wasnt until I went to pick it up that I realized how awesome the bike was. If a part should be metal...it pretty much is. That's quality. From what I can see, It's not more expensive because it's a Harley(well maybe a little). It's more expensive because it's quality parts.

Was it a better choice than a Metric? Consider this. A buddy of mine bought an 1100 V-star something. We went to Daytona last year. His bike got about 34 mpg, mine got 49. The old roomate(has an 883) got 50mpg. The yamaha also had more plastic chrome parts than anything elsel. Think that will hold up?

So I payed a couple grand more than what he payed for the yamaha. Considering the quality of the parts...not just the engine, and the effeciency of the engine, I'd say it is a way better deal. Granted it is two different styles. You would have to get a fatboy for the same look, and that right there will add a few more grand(5ish) to the Harley purchase price. All I know is it pisses him off to no end his metric gets 15mpg less than mine. You would also think that quality Japanese engineering would be backed by a better warranty. It's 1yr vs the 2yr Harley standard.

Dont even get me started on resale...

-----added---

I don't look down on anyone for anybike. As a matter of fact I strongly discourage anyone from getting a Harley as thier first bike. Unless you can get it cheap and used. If your gonna learn, find a beater. Ride for a year or two. Then buy whatever feels right. Cant go wrong that way.

RideoutKSC 15th November 2005 18:45

My Sportster 1200r was and is my first bike (Excluding my 1982 honda PA-50 which I got in 7th grade and the thing is still mint). Being 21 and buying a Harley was honestly a difficult thing to do. I love the sound, the style, the chrome and the riding position. A LOT of people bust my balls, mostly stupid kids riding on rice rockets pulling wheelies. The most often asked question I get is "Why'd you buy a HArley?" Some people respect my choice, other's look down on me. But being on this forum, reading all the posts made by you guys everyday, makes me proud to be part of the Harley/Sportster family.
In my opinion, the difference between a metric cruiser and a harley isn't just the quality parts, take a look at the welds on the frame too. I compared my 04' sportster to my cousin's 04 VTX 1300 and my welds are cleaner than a baby's bottom. I think this is because the people who build harley's have been trained by the skilled worker's that have come before them. Most importantly, the difference between the metric's and harley's is plain to see. This web site, specifically tailored for sportster enthusiasts IS the difference, its our extended family ON and OFF the road.

my .02,
Rideout

Moved On / My Own Choice 15th November 2005 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wheeltodd
I pull into this gas station to put the 12 dollars into my 4 gallon tank, and this guy pulls into the pump space in front of me. I can't hear his bike so I am thinking he's riding a Japanese something or other. I mind my own business, give the guy a nod, and fill the tank. I turn to go pay the attendant, and this guy is standing on the curb looking at my bike and says.."That looks like a new Sportster, when did you get it?" I was kind of in a hurry and did'nt feel much like talking to this guy, but I humored him and told him I picked it up in February. He points over to his bike and says that he also picked up his bike in February, he says he has always really wanted a Harley, but said they were way too expensive, he goes on, and on about Harley this and Yamaha that, and what a SMART decision he felt he made on purchasing his Yamaha 750 cruiser. Then he says "it's the same thing as a Harley." (I could barely hold back, when he drops the bomb, and says "yea and for 10 grand I could'nt go wrong.") As I was starting my 1200 I was respectful and said, "yea YOU could'nt go wrong, but did you ever price a Harley?" - True story.

F respectful, stupid is as stupid does... he's a f'n wannabe, not cause he rides a Yamaha, but because he really WANTED a Harley and didn't even educate himself... dork.

rlstone 15th November 2005 19:03

Rideout makes an excellent point about the welds, something I've noticed since I bought my Sporty. He also touches on another important difference--the sound.

Absolutely NOTHING sounds like a Harley and that's something the Japanese, as good as they are, haven't quite been able to replicate. ;)

Moved On / My Own Choice 15th November 2005 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nu Viking
I always fell, If the person wants a Yamaha then get a Yamaha and be proud of it. Comaring the bike that they purchased with a HD makes me think why didnt they get an older cheap bike to get them in the wind till they could buy a Harley cause lets face it , its probley what they really want in the first place. I have never heard from a Harley owner that his bike is almost as good as a Honda and sounds alot like a Yamaha and nor does Mercedes care what a suzuki car costs

Of course, if someone WANTS a Yamaha they'd better want a standard or dual sport or crotch rocket, cause otherwise they'd have to buy a "STAR"

The pathetic copy of a poser lifestyle...

Gawd that marketing is annoying, and I always LIKED YAMAHAS!

Moved On / My Own Choice 15th November 2005 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desertfox
My youngest boy wants a BMW 1200 . I told him God blessya. You definately won't go wrong with it. He likes my Sporty but wants a beemer. Good for him.

An R1200C???? or something else? Cause he'd go wrong with an R1200C... worst abortion BMW made of an oilhead...

Moved On / My Own Choice 15th November 2005 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jag1
My neighbor has a v-max 600. He keeps it in my pole barn during the winter. I look it over whenever I get a chance. It doesn't compare to a harley. Theres alot of plastichrome on it and everything just looks cheap. Not to mention you have to remove the front exhaust pipe to change the oil filter (what kind of crap is that). But, to each his own. I'll keep my Harley!

??????????? What the heck is a V-Max 600? - there's only ONE V-max and that bike just straight out ROCKS

I think you mean V-Star 650.

and if so, I thought it was only the early V-Star 1100s that you had to remove the pipe to get to the filter....

Moved On / My Own Choice 15th November 2005 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RideoutKSC
In my opinion, the difference between a metric cruiser and a harley isn't just the quality parts, take a look at the welds on the frame too. I compared my 04' sportster to my cousin's 04 VTX 1300 and my welds are cleaner than a baby's bottom. I think this is because the people who build harley's have been trained by the skilled worker's that have come before them.

and

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlstone
Rideout makes an excellent point about the welds, something I've noticed since I bought my Sporty. He also touches on another important difference--the sound.

I thought the frame shop used robotic welders....

gearhead 15th November 2005 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev M
I thought it was only the early V-Star 1100s that you had to remove the pipe to get to the filter....

how early do you mean? A buddy of mine bought one new last year, not sure about the year model though, 04 or 05, and you have to remove the pipe on it...Super weak.

Moved On / My Own Choice 15th November 2005 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearhead
how early do you mean? A buddy of mine bought one new last year, not sure about the year model though, 04 or 05, and you have to remove the pipe on it...Super weak.

I thought they'd changed it for 04 or 05.

Weak? Yeah, I'm not a real fan of most V-stars...

That said...

You know what I have to do to get to MY oil filter?

I HAVE TO REMOVE THE FREAKING OIL PAN :doh (now THAT's WEAK!)...