The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ironhead 69 xlch won’t start (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2079722)

ryder rick 5th August 2021 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrous Head (Post 5909300)
I do envy you guys who can still kick 3 and 4 times.

And don't forget, if you make it look easy to the bystanders they won't think it's a hot rod engine. (Which it is).

No No No Gene.

You make it look easy, and then you can be entertained, when someone who wants to ride it has to start it! :smoke

Ferrous Head 6th August 2021 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryder rick (Post 5909309)
No No No Gene.

You make it look easy, and then you can be entertained, when someone who wants to ride it has to start it! :smoke

You have to be careful there.

The local "bad guy" (bully type - years older than me) once bet my brother he could kick start my brother's Sportster. (A feat I had only seen performed once in my life)

Short story, he broke his ankle on about the 5th kick. On crutches for 2 months.

I made the mistake of laughing at him.

Had to keep well away from him for the next couple of years. And he only lived a block away from me.

ryder rick 6th August 2021 02:34

I kick started one by hand! I have witnesses...

Ferrous Head 6th August 2021 06:36

We need to see the video Rick.

Not that we doubt you, just that we want to see the girls who were watching you at this time.

RicThompson 6th August 2021 23:10

I traded my 75 XLCH in on a 76 FX because a friend had an FL he would start frequently by hand. My XLCH was a leg snapper. I later found out his FL was 7 to 1 compression. I put 4.5 wheels in the FX with 10 to 1 still easier to kick than the XLCH. My current 69 XLH has a kicker I use infrequently since I have had to weld the sprocket cover.

brucstoudt 6th August 2021 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicThompson (Post 5909522)
My current 69 XLH has a kicker I use infrequently since I have had to weld the sprocket cover.

that's a fairly common stroker motor issue.i've had to do that with 2 different sprocket covers.once you get some good tig rod in there they seldom break again..unless the clearance in the kicker shaft bushing is minimal.

RicThompson 7th August 2021 17:22

I use the kicker primarily to adjust lifters now if I don't need to put the bike on the lift for anything else. I did weld up the cracked sprocket cover with a heavy bead. It should hold up if needed.

rykk69 15th August 2021 20:44

So, my timing plug blew out - it was stripped, but had been hanging in with red loctite. Tapped it out to 11/16 very carefully (stuffed piece of pantyhose in hole and greased up the tap, removing a few times to clean out chips) and installed over sized plug.

Again was a bitch to get started. I will experiment with fewer prime kicks and no throttle. I have also been wondering about intake leaks- I did pull the manifold as part of troubleshooting- alignment and o-rings seem fine. I did notice yesterday that there are some cracks in the rubber connector from manifold to carb but they don’t seem to be deep. Is there a way to test for intake leaks?

Now that there is a couple hundred miles on the build I am also going to recheck pushrod adjustment.

brucstoudt 15th August 2021 22:19

propane torch.without lighting it aim the gas at the rubber piece with the motor running.if you have a leak the idle speed will increase.

ryder rick 16th August 2021 06:52

Spray cleaner works also, but just dribble it