The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ironhead Brake Line Part Number ? (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2074035)

ferretface 11th July 2019 21:16

Brake Line Part Number ?

1 Attachment(s)
As shown in the attached pic, my newly-acquired Sportster has a front dual-disk brake line that has been 'bubba-ized' to fit a lower set of handlebars.

Cycle was originally an XLH [according to VIN] but a previous owner tossed the buckhorn bars (as any owner should) and fit the XLX bars (5" rise).

That ugly loop has got to go. I could cut and bend/straighten out that loop and fit a brake union (double flared) but that's still ugly.

In a perfect world, I'd have my Harley dealer look up the number and then tell me they're no longer available, but as we all know, everything is available online.

There is no obvious hydraulic line/hose shop in my area.

So, I would like to find the complete one-piece NOS lines/hoses for my 1983 XL with dual-disks and stock XLX bars and risers.

I've tried the online catalogs of Drag Spec, Barnett, JP Cycles, Kirk, etc with no success.

Would anyone have a parts catalog listing the XLX brake line assembly???

Thank you for your time. :)

Toejam503 11th July 2019 21:35

Looking at pics, the closest brake line would be an XR1000, but it looks like the same brake line only bent wrong.
You have Dual front discs, right? If not, just measure about an 1''-2'' from the banjo joint and follow the line, you want, down to the caliper. That will tell you how long a single aftermarket brake line you'll need, when you order brake lines, the banjo joints are included in the brake line, but not in the measurement and I think they come with different angles.
If you do have dual discs, then measure to the meter block, although I'd replace the lower hoses, too.
TRY SummitRacing.com, MotoSport.com, or MotorsportSuperstore.com

ryder rick 11th July 2019 22:18

The way this is done is to MAKE your lines using universal hoses and adapters.

Factory brake lines are marginal at best, Goodrich lines will last longer and give a better feel.

I have never been able to create a proper double flare by hand, even with tools that profess to do this.

ferretface 12th July 2019 00:06

Rick & TJ -

Sounds like a winter project. I've been looking at the universal brake line/hose kits and components in JP Cycle catalog. I do have dual-disks with splitter block bolted to the bottom of the triple tree. But my calipers use screw-in lines, not banjo bolt lines.

I'll see what I can find. Thanks for the help! :)

ryder rick 12th July 2019 00:42

There are adapters from the AN hose to the 3/16 flared tube.

Lots of options. EG: VTwin #23-4281

ferretface 16th July 2019 03:40

I broke down and bought an old parts catalog for my Sportster on Ebay. Looked up the part number and just for S&G checked Ebay for that part and found out I just missed a NOS in bag HD brake line/hose assembly by a couple days. :rolleyes:

Good price too. :(

iNSaNeSHaNe 16th July 2019 05:04

I had a similar situation about 10 years ago dual disk and the banjo was leaking where the line went in from it being bent around when they lowered the bars.

Since I couldn't find a proper line I opened the bleeders, removed the line from the master and took it loose from the trees, giving me enough room to repair it.

I got out my oxy / act torch with a 00 tip and heated the banjo where the line went in and pulled it out.
Then took a drill bit slightly larger than the hole and cleaned it up.
Next I cut off the line and scuffed it with sandpaper and test fitted it to align the banjo.
As for assembly, I brazed it.
First heating the banjo and prepping the repair with borax as flux before sliding in the line and brazing it using fluxed rod.
Probably took an hour.
If you do this make sure to open the bleeders to let the fluid go down the line or it will not weld. and after it cools off make sure to flush it back out good. I pushed the calipers in to back flush it, to make sure no contaminants were in there.

Good Luck

Old Junk 17th July 2019 05:43

I would also suggest that you call or visit the website for Bill's Custom Cycles. They sold me the brake line/hose kit you're looking for. Very easy to deal with.

ferretface 17th July 2019 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Junk (Post 5763156)
I would also suggest that you call or visit the website for Bill's Custom Cycles. They sold me the brake line/hose kit you're looking for. Very easy to deal with.

I will do that. But...There are many Bill's Custom Cycles...In Pennsylvania, California, etc. Did you have a specific Bill's in mind??? :)

NLXL 17th July 2019 17:50

I'm very happy with Goodridge brake lines. Lot of choice, good quality.

https://www.goodridge.co.uk/collecti...arley+davidson

Old Junk 17th July 2019 18:14

Sorry. Should have been more specific-

billscustomcycles.com

They're out of Bloomsburg, PA. Lots of nos Sportster stuff, some repop stuff of quality.

ferretface 17th July 2019 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Junk (Post 5763241)
Sorry. Should have been more specific-

billscustomcycles.com

They're out of Bloomsburg, PA. Lots of nos Sportster stuff, some repop stuff of quality.

I tried there first. Emailed Bill. He's sorry; he doesn't have it. :(

I'll try Bill in Modesto next. ;)

I'm also checking out the modular hose/line idea. JPCycles doesn't show what ends their stainless hoses have, just the length. They have the three-way splitter that bolts to the triple tree stem bottom, they're AN3. So I need hoses with AN3 female ends. There's no measurements given for the splitter so I'll have to order that first and then measure what length hoses I need. Probably take three separate order, over several weeks.

ferretface 18th July 2019 18:00

1 Attachment(s)
I emailed JPCycles customer service as to what ends were on their V-Twin Power SS braided hoses (for example, their 18" 831-970); they say they are AN3. That's good; they will match up with the V-Twin 806-139 junction block directly. :)

But for the hose-to-caliper connection, I'll need an adapter to go from the female AN3 hose to whatever female threaded inlet is in the front calipers.

I don't want to take my front brakes apart in the middle of riding weather and be stuck waiting for mailed parts, and having to measure between shipments to determine the correct hose lengths I need. That's best done when the weather breaks and winter sets in.

But I can get some of the parts ready ahead of time, maybe all of them, as long as I know what I'm doing.

And there's the rub: I think I know what I need, but not the fitting sizes. For instance, is the HD master cylinder a 10mm or 12mm banjo fitting???

And more important for ordering lower hoses, what type fitting goes in the inlet hole in the caliper???

Edit: OK, I found out the 1983 caliper inlet port is 3/8" x 24 IFF, compatible with any NAPA steel universal brake line. Summit/Jegs/Earls all have AN3 to 3/8" x 24 adapters. so I'm good there (order for adapters going out today). :)

Edit2: I also ordered the Russell dual-disk junction block # 240-029 from JPCycles. It was cheaper than the V-Twin junction block. :D

Thank you for your help! I think I can do this... :rolleyes:

It needs to look like this when done...

ferretface 19th July 2019 04:47

1 Attachment(s)
...And after sifting through several catalogs, parts lists, and customer service techs, here's what I have come up with...(pic attached)...

I wasn't sure about the banjo fitting, but I was informed that it was correct for the HD master cylinder... :rolleyes:

I've ordered the junction block, caliper adapters, and banjo fitting but not the three hoses. I need to measure the length of the junction block legs and order my hoses from there.

This would only be for a 1983 XLH with dual-disk front brakes, as far as I know...

Thank you all for the encouragement! :D

Tincan 19th July 2019 05:13

Brake lines

I would suggest contacting Magnum. They were the only company that had lines for my '08 Roadster also with dual calipers.

Tincan 19th July 2019 05:16

Here's the link.

https://www.magnumshielding.com/

ferretface 19th July 2019 05:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tincan (Post 5763572)
I would suggest contacting Magnum. They were the only company that had lines for my '08 Roadster also with dual calipers.

Nothing comes up for an 83 XL. :( Just clutch cables and ignition wires.

ferretface 29th July 2019 21:30

1 Attachment(s)
OK, I have all the parts for my 1983 XL(X) brake line assembly. My XLH has been 'upgraded' with several XLX parts including an XLX handlebar, albeit a chromed one.

I used a section of neoprene fuel line cable-tied to my OEM XLH brake lines to get my measurements (then stretched the line out straight to measure). The parts come from three different mfg's so I didn't list part numbers. No single vendor had everything. :rolleyes:

I am somewhat disappointed that the hoses are so skinny compared to the OEM hoses. :frownone

I need to replace my speedometer at the same time I replace the brake lines, so I'll put that off till the weather worsens. :)

Thanks again for all the input! :D

Tincan 30th July 2019 00:19

Brakeline size

The volume of brake fluid needed to actuate the calipers is very small. Most important is matching the proper master to the calipers used.
I think I mentioned before your calling Magnum Shielding. They have a solution for most anything.
I can't over state the quality of their products. I bought a replacement set for my '08 xl1200r when I upgraded to xr calipers.
I have a set of throttle cables and a new clutch cable from them. Just waiting for the heat to moderate in the early evening to do a oil change and swap in the new parts.

ferretface 30th July 2019 01:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tincan (Post 5766266)
The volume of brake fluid needed to actuate the calipers is very small. Most important is matching the proper master to the calipers used.

OEM master and calipers. I meant the OD of the lines/hoses. I like the look of the OEM hoses. :)

Quote:

I think I mentioned before your calling Magnum Shielding. They have a solution for most anything.
They say "Hi Rich, We're sorry but we do not carry that brake line. Thank you," :(

jharback 30th July 2019 07:27

Both Magnum Shielding and Barnett (www.barnettclutches.com) will make custom cables to fit at reasonable prices. Just tell 'em what you want and they'll quote you a price. Contact them by phone for specialized orders. I've used them both to make custom cables with no problems. I'd call Barnett and if they don't help you try Magnum again. Sounds like you got a dud that answered the phone.

ferretface 30th July 2019 16:25

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jharback (Post 5766325)
Both Magnum Shielding and Barnett (www.barnettclutches.com) will make custom cables to fit at reasonable prices. Just tell 'em what you want and they'll quote you a price.

Coincidentally enough, the nice lady at Barnett also told me they do not produce a brake line for the 1983 XLX. ;)

But that's OK as I now have a complete front brake line for my bastard Sportster. I thought perhaps I would replace the rear brake hose as well, but it appears that the rear line/hose is a soldered one-piece line just like the front line was. And there is a tee between the line and hose with an additional port for a brake light switch. Also soldered. (Another pic attached).

So, that's another hose & line I'll have to piece together from separate parts. :frownthre

From my parts catalog, it appears the 1983 Sportster was the only year that had one-piece brake lines. A mistake that HD corrected the next year.

More fun. :rolleyes:

ryder rick 30th July 2019 17:33

Unless you find a NOS part you are unlikely to find a one piece rubber hose.

The aftermarket provides the needed parts to assemble a hose that is actually better than OEM. Although not cheap....

There are many suppliers that offer different adapters, if you don't find what you need, cast a wider net.

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm hard headed

83XLX 28th August 2019 17:46

FYI, the stock front brake line for the 1983 XLX is part # 45122-83.

ferretface 25th October 2019 18:45

I wasn't able to find a NOS front brake line assembly, which on the 1983 models is one-piece (the steel lines are soldered to the ends and the hoses are hydraulically crimped to the lines). So, as suggested, I went the modular option, using parts from several suppliers such as JP Cycle, Summit Racing, and a few obscure aftermarket cycle suppliers. The front system uses a 35 degree 10mm/AN3 banjo fitting, a 3-way AN3 splitter block, three AN3 stainless braided DOT approved hoses, and two AN3 to 3/8"-24 IF adapters.

The rear line was a bit more complicated. It uses a 20" stainless 3/16" brake line hand-bent to go from the rear master cylinder to a 3-way AN3-1/8" NPT-AN3 tee, which connects to a brake lamp switch and an 8" 3/16" stainless line bent into a pigtail. That connects to a 8" AN3 stainless braided hose with another AN3 to 3/8"-24 IF adapter.

I would have preferred an 11" rear hose instead of the pigtail and 8" hose but I could only find 10" and 12" braided hoses. There needs to be some slack in the rear hose to allow for chain adjustment. The 10" was perfect but wouldn't allow for any adjustment (the axle is all the way forward). The 12" hose wouldn't 'form' correctly to provide an esthetically pleasing profile.

Both front and rear lines bled out nice and hard. I'm not really thrilled with how the skinny lines look (I like the fat line look) but I can live with this. :rolleyes:

Sorry about the pics; it's difficult to get everything to focus... :frownone

https://i.ibb.co/thMVFnY/Front-Lines-1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/PtZxpx4/Front-Lines-2.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/6tHQP0Q/Rear-Line-1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/SJHQw61/Rear-Line-2.jpg