The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ironhead First startup (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2074333)

mickey t 12th August 2019 00:04

First startup
 
Hey all I just buttoned everything up on my 71 xlch...kicking it over w nothing but a xouple pops...I also had oil spit out my vent tube..is that just extra oil that's in there?I would imagine it would take a bit to kick over it ran when I bought it but just had it sit for a couple months while I did some work on it...nothing major in the motor or trans...new tank fender stuff like that..any tips on what to look for while trying to kick her over again ?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c33c3296dd.jpg

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

IronMick 12th August 2019 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickey t (Post 5769492)
...I also had oil spit out my vent tube..is that just extra oil that's in there?...

Yes, most likely :)

doodah man 12th August 2019 04:53

while it was sitting for a couple of months, did you keep the battery on a tender or get a new battery? if it's the old battery it could just be dead or not enough juice to light it off.

mickey t 12th August 2019 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodah man (Post 5769574)
while it was sitting for a couple of months, did you keep the battery on a tender or get a new battery? if it's the old battery it could just be dead or not enough juice to light it off.

Well it wasn't on a constant tender...what I did was charge it to full charge..remoced it then charged to full charge again before I tried to kick it....if it shows full charge could it still ne weak to kick it over?

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

GA_Ironhead 12th August 2019 14:38

Wet sumped... All part of their charm.

http://xlforum.net/forums/showpost.p...8&postcount=40

IronMick 12th August 2019 14:41

To be good, a battery must satisfy all three conditions...
  • it must take a charge
  • it must hold the charge over time
  • it must hold the charge under load

So
  1. give it a full charge,
  2. disconnect the charger and let it sit for 24 hours,
  3. attach a voltmeter, watch the voltmeter while cranking the engine with the starter button. The reading should not drop below 10 or 11 [people have different opinions here] volts.

If you have a kick only go to Princess Auto or Harbor Freight and buy a battery load tester. They are not overly expensive. Every IronHead owner should have one. Saves those stupid trips out to get it load tested.

Iron Mike 12th August 2019 15:14

Every Ironhead owner with a battery.

mickey t 12th August 2019 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMick (Post 5769621)
To be good, a battery must satisfy all three conditions...
  • it must take a charge
  • it must hold the charge over time
  • it must hold the charge under load

So
  1. give it a full charge,
  2. disconnect the charger and let it sit for 24 hours,
  3. attach a voltmeter, watch the voltmeter while cranking the engine with the starter button. The reading should not drop below 10 or 11 [people have different opinions here] volts.

If you have a kick only go to Princess Auto or Harbor Freight and buy a battery load tester. They are not overly expensive. Every IronHead owner should have one. Saves those stupid trips out to get it load tested.

Now that you explained it like that I should probably go buy a new battery....I will do the test like you explained though

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

mickey t 12th August 2019 16:28

I do not I e that after I do a full charge n I wait a couple days I hook up the charger again n it shows low w the red light...then after a bit it'll turn green for the full charge

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

mickey t 12th August 2019 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodah man (Post 5769574)
while it was sitting for a couple of months, did you keep the battery on a tender or get a new battery? if it's the old battery it could just be dead or not enough juice to light it off.

Good point

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:27.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
XL Forum® - Linson Media LLC