The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ironhead First startup (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2074333)

ryder rick 12th August 2019 18:23

Put a pan under the vent to catch the oil it will puke, this is normal after extended storage.

It will turn over slow because of the oil that has collected in the cases. It will crank slow also because of the accumulated oil.
Jump it off a car so you don't damage the battery from extended cranking. I use some spray carb cleaner to help it start.
It will stall and not want to idle untill it runs long enough to clear the oil from the cases. Do not add oil to the tank until it has run for a while as it will need the room for the oil that has collected in the motor.

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm hard headed

GA_Ironhead 12th August 2019 20:17

Make sure that the fuel is fresh.

mickey t 12th August 2019 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryder rick (Post 5769703)
Put a pan under the vent to catch the oil it will puke, this is normal after extended storage.

It will turn over slow because of the oil that has collected in the cases. It will crank slow also because of the accumulated oil.
Jump it off a car so you don't damage the battery from extended cranking. I use some spray carb cleaner to help it start.
It will stall and not want to idle untill it runs long enough to clear the oil from the cases. Do not add oil to the tank until it has run for a while as it will need the room for the oil that has collected in the motor.

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm hard headed

Will do thank you

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

mickey t 12th August 2019 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA_Ironhead (Post 5769721)
Make sure that the fuel is fresh.

Yes I went n got fresh premium to put in there...put a new tank on there so its got nothing but fresh gas

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

rokytnji 13th August 2019 03:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickey t (Post 5769724)
Yes I went n got fresh premium to put in there...put a new tank on there so its got nothing but fresh gas

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Now time to go buy beers. Round up some bodies. Find a slope.
Squirt gas in da carb throat. Old mustard bottle works for me.

Roll that sucka down hill making sure petcock is on, jump start with bodies, and see what happens next.

I'd worry about the kicker later.

mickey t 13th August 2019 04:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokytnji (Post 5769789)
Now time to go buy beers. Round up some bodies. Find a slope.

Squirt gas in da carb throat. Old mustard bottle works for me.



Roll that sucka down hill making sure petcock is on, jump start with bodies, and see what happens next.



I'd worry about the kicker later.

[emoji106]

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

RAIDER0372 13th August 2019 04:34

[emoji23]

RIDE HARD.
GOD SPEED.

mickey t 13th August 2019 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodah man (Post 5769574)
while it was sitting for a couple of months, did you keep the battery on a tender or get a new battery? if it's the old battery it could just be dead or not enough juice to light it off.

Hey brother...I believe it was you who steered me in the direction if tje Mikuni vm38...did you say that the idle screw n mix were opposite of S&S?

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

doodah man 13th August 2019 17:32

The mix screw is backwards from most other carbs, it controls air instead of fuel. So turning it in, closes off air making it richer, and out for leaner/more air.

mickey t 13th August 2019 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodah man (Post 5769914)
The mix screw is backwards from most other carbs, it controls air instead of fuel. So turning it in, closes off air making it richer, and out for leaner/more air.

Ok thank you

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:36.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
XL Forum® - Linson Media LLC