The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Dear Harley-Davidson Inc. (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=246)
-   -   Low fuel light (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1838876)

hexnut 26th November 2014 18:27

Low fuel light

It would seem you guys could design a low fuel light on the Sportster that actually works correctly. My 2014 Superlow light never comes on at the same level of fuel. Sometimes it comes on after using 2 gallons (4.5 gallon tank) somes times after using 2.5 gallons , but never using more than 2.8 gallons.
Its just agrevating.

zimbros12 26th November 2014 18:29

Lucky I dont have a fuel light...I know when I have to stop and get gas

hexnut 26th November 2014 19:34

I know when I have to get gas as well, I just hate to see that light come on early all the time.

Folkie 26th November 2014 19:34

The light on my '72' reliably comes on at the same level of fuel every time.

sportsterdoc 26th November 2014 19:35

Read the fine print on the light:
It reads: Ha, ha, made you unscrew the cap and look!

The Bonneville was the only EFI bike I've had. The low fuel light was very predictable.
I still reset the trip odometer every fill-up.

jimmyess333 16th August 2016 14:31

As long as I can still see down in the hole I'd probably still use the old fashioned method above all. Look inside.

vlmuke 16th August 2016 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsterdoc (Post 5029354)
Read the fine print on the light:
It reads: Ha, ha, made you unscrew the cap and look!

The Bonneville was the only EFI bike I've had. The low fuel light was very predictable.
I still reset the trip odometer every fill-up.

The Bonnie is way Better design of the fuel light My now Ex's Bonnie was awesome, while the sportys is shitty in my old 2010 iron I could fill it up romp on it and the light would go on it was rather annoying.

burnsatspeed 18th September 2017 11:00

wait til you own a 48, you'll love that fuel warning light, on a biking holiday a couple of weeks ago I got to 70 miles before it came on, I was crapping myself thinking the bulb had failed:laugh
love that bike but the range is diabolical. :D

Folkie 18th September 2017 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnsatspeed (Post 5594293)
love that bike but the range is diabolical. :D

If you buy a bike with a 2.1 gallon fuel tank, you can hardly be surprised about that.

On my '72' (same tank) I had the combined speedo/tach, with its 'range to empty' readout. That was pretty accurate, so I had a very good idea how far I could go before filling up.

Oh yes, and the low fuel level light came on very reliably every time at 10 miles range remaining.

burnsatspeed 18th September 2017 12:09

I just reset one of the trip clocks each fill up so I know when to start looking for a fuel station, I've also got a 1.5 fuel can in my swing arm bag 😁
Very Long way Down 🤣