The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models) (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=270)
-   -   Help! Idle won't go down. (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2042802)

Hotsauce 15th October 2017 03:45

Help! Idle won't go down.

I have a 2003 883 sporty and it is idling through the roof. I rewired the Ignition a while back (dynatek 2000i replaced the stock set up) and it rode fine. Then I rewired everything else on the bike and pulled the heads to have broken exhaust studs drilled out at retapped. The new electrical system is a motogadget m-unit V.2 (I don't think that should matter but what do I know.) Now the bike starts! :banana But it is idling up near 4500 rpm at idle (I have reset the idle mixture screw- taken it down to where it just seats then backed out 1.5 turns.) I have checked for intake leaks (brake cleaner around intake seals and where the carb seats into the intake) and didn't notice a change in idle when the carb cleaner was sprayed around where the leaks would be. Also, the bike is spitting flames out the exhaust (both pipes), and the carb. Which from what I have read elsewhere seems to indicate it's running rich (flames out exhaust) and running lean (flames out carb). Thanks for the help in advance.

John Harper 15th October 2017 03:53

Is your float jammed open? Throttle plate closing? 4500 RPM seems hard to fathom. Did you pilot jet fall out?

What's the deal with this motogadget? I've read about it a couple times lately. Not that it matters, but what does it do on an older bike? It's not an ignition? If not, what benefit?

John

Lone Rider 15th October 2017 04:37

Have you adjusted throttle cables? butterfly could be held open, if the cables were adjusted wrong, should be completely closed when throttle is at rest, or butterfy could just be hanging up.

jordan1200 15th October 2017 06:14

I was going to ask about the throttle cables as well.But 4500 rpm. It would have to be very noticeable either the butterfly late or something pretty out of wack.
Hope you find it fast.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Hotsauce 15th October 2017 06:37

The pilot jet didn't fall out, and the throttle plate is actually not closing all the way. That's something to check out. Full disclosure: the tachometer doesn't work currently so I'm guessing the rpm's. But, I did ride the bike before and would run it out to 3800-4000 rpm's and the bike is running harder than that at idle now.

The M-Unit V.2 was the easiest way that I could see to rewire it from scratch. The unit itself takes place of all fuses and there's one wire input and one wire output so it's easy.

IXL2Relax 15th October 2017 11:14

Explain what you were working on within 2-days of the problem occuring...

When you rewired, did you remove your handle bars? Did you get the throttle cables routed correctly to the carb?

Can you manually close the throttle plate by unscrewing the IDLE SET SCREW which is located right at the throttle cable cam on the side of the carb?

Fuel leaking from the petcock down the vacuum line can be an issue...

More exact information will be helpful...

IXL 2 Relax
>>>> My Build & Ride Reports Are Here <<<<

Reference the Sportsterpedia
A FREE XLForum collection of technical info & advice

72 Ironhead XLH 15th October 2017 15:21

If you have a carb, then you either have a serious intake leak or the throttle plate is not closed. Try disconnecting the cables and see it that cures it.

72 Ironhead XLH 15th October 2017 15:26

https://s1.postimg.org/1sysdufuin/Untitledcc.jpg

Hotsauce 15th October 2017 16:12

"When you rewired, did you remove your handle bars? Did you get the throttle cables routed correctly to the carb?"

I did not remove the bars but I did put on a new throttle assembly. I believe the cables are routed correctly, when I roll the throttle and release it the assembly snaps back into place quickly. I'll recheck that though this afternoon.

"Can you manually close the throttle plate by unscrewing the IDLE SET SCREW which is located right at the throttle cable cam on the side of the carb?"

I have the idle set screw backed all the way out at the moment and the butterfly is still open. I did move the choke mount to the top of the carb, it's possible I reassembled the carb wrong and the throttle cable cam isn't on where it should be. When the idle set screw is all the bottomed out it still isn't touching the throttle cable cam. That seems like a problem to me but after looking at it I can't see where the issue is.

"Fuel leaking from the petcock down the vacuum line can be an issue...".

I don't know what to do to check that.

As far as what I was doing just before this: that's though to say. I've been working on it on and off for the past few months. I started on it last summer and just after I started I got sent out of town for work. (12 days in site, 2 days off) recently I came back home and continued working on it but the Hurricane Harvey hit so I've been helping my parents redo their house and I'm just now getting back to the bike again. So, the work has been scattered out over the weekends I've had off or when I wasn't helping with the aftermath of Harvey. Truth is, I can't remember the last thing that would be carb specific that I did. Last weekend I put my heads back on, so that involved new intake seals but I think I did that correctly. There's a new seal from the intake to the carb as well. But aside from that I can't remember the last time I messed with the carb. Maybe I took it apart to clean it and put on the new choke bracket last summer? I'll recheck the throttle cable cam this afternoon as well.

c1skout 15th October 2017 16:24

If the throttle butterfly is not closing that is the FIRST item you need to address! Fix that, try it out and report back.