The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Dear Harley-Davidson Inc. (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=246)
-   -   Time for HD to copy Japan! (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44237)

bigdogbark 26th December 2006 00:18

Time for HD to copy Japan!
 
I believe the engineers at HD need to take a trip/ride on some Honda's, Kaws, and Yamaha's. They will find many ideas that are better then HD offer. I like water-cool engines, low maintenance rides, better suspension and so on.

I am not saying that HD should copy Japan but to learn from them and improve on it. Just looking at them you will see that they looked at HD and improved on it. Where they came up short is keeping models in production.

Good luck to HD but really is the 95 incher an improvement or just an EPA band-aid?

As a side note I was a holder of HD stock but I am seriously considering shorting it due to some of your marketing ideas. Go talk to builders, Honda, Yamaha and others.

XL O.C.D. 26th December 2006 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogbark
I believe the engineers at HD need to take a trip/ride on some Honda's, Kaws, and Yamaha's. They will find many ideas that are better then HD offer. I like water-cool engines, low maintenance rides, better suspension and so on.

I am not saying that HD should copy Japan but to learn from them and improve on it. Just looking at them you will see that they looked at HD and improved on it. Where they came up short is keeping models in production.

Good luck to HD but really is the 95 incher an improvement or just an EPA bandaid?

I'm no HD engineer, but I've ridden on Kawi's, etc... No thanks, HD's got it right. Water cooled engines - no thanks. I don't care about the 95 incher. My 1200 keeps me plenty happy. :tour

bigdogbark 26th December 2006 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by XL O.C.D.
I'm no HD engineer, but I've ridden on Kawi's, etc... No thanks, HD's got it right. Water cooled engines - no thanks. I don't care about the 95 incher. My 1200 keeps me plenty happy. :tour

Not all of Japan's ideas are good but look at the Goldwing and then the Ultra. But here in the US it is also an EPA issue. My old 74 Yamaha SX 650 had more guts and power then the newer Sporsters. The Sportsters are good rides but HD needs more then one model to carry on. This is a general issue for HD not a single issue with the Sportster.

82ndJumper 26th December 2006 00:33

The day Harley makes a bike like the Japs then I will never own that type of Harley. If you want a Jap bike then get one. If not leave what we have and what we like alone.

sycle1 26th December 2006 00:33

I agee with ya XL O.C.D.
I have riden Japanese bikes alot since the 1970's and apart from being fast and reliable they use cheap metals and cast alloys, they rust really fast, they are too light they get thrown around and blown off the road on windy days, they are uncomfortable to ride, they are imposible to work on with normal sized hands, they sound like a reved up sewing machines and their resale is crap, apart from that they are great I guess.

bigdogbark 26th December 2006 00:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycle1
I agee with ya XL O.C.D.
I have riden Japanese bikes alot since the 1970's and apart from being fast and reliable they use cheap metals and cast alloys.......

That is my point, to take the best ideas and improve on them. As you said the are fast and reliable. Let us get that into the HD mindset.

YO MUDA 26th December 2006 00:46

No thanks. Ive owned jap bikes, and nuthin compairs to a good ole Sportster.

biknut 26th December 2006 00:57

Harley already copied the Jap's in the 80s when they bought Japanese robot machine tools.

What you're really talking about is design. Harley already has a modern water cooled engine in the VRod. Guess what, It's not selling that well compared to the old designs.

Harley doesn't copy the Jap's for good reason, the bikes they make now already out sell them. Maybe you're not aware of what sales have been like for the last 15 to 20 years? Each year has record sales world wide.

CBAS5 26th December 2006 01:10

Quote:

I like water-cool engines, low maintenance rides, better suspension and so on.
To clear up some things.

Harley's are a dream to work on and maintenance free while the japanese bikes are nightmares. They already own that sections.

Better suspension. They use showa, which is owned by Honda. They use Japanese suspensions already. It's just that showa tends to be crap.

iBloke 26th December 2006 01:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBAS5
Better suspension. They use showa, which is owned by Honda. They use Japanese suspensions already. It's just that showa tends to be crap.

If there was just one major improvement HD should make it would be to the woeful standard suspension they use.

I don't care where or by who its made, it needs to be brought up to at least acceptable standards.

Out of all the bikes I've owned over my life by far the worst suspension has been fitted to HD's.
In my opinion it is so bad it is really only useful for holding the frame up while the bike sits in the dealerships showroom.

So as far as the title of this thread is concerned, its "Time for HD to copy Japan" and get with the suspension program!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:20.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
XL Forum® - Linson Media LLC