The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Dear Harley-Davidson Inc. (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=246)
-   -   Time for HD to copy Japan! (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44237)

bigdogbark 26th December 2006 01:31

Ok, I will try to make my point just one more time.

Not everything Japan or HD does is better. Both come up with great ideas. If they are executed with poor quality control or with cheap material, or with inadequate maintenance procedure then the improvement can be cancelled out and also negative.

Case in point... I have notice that when Japan went to shaft drives most motorcycles were still chain driven. HD went to belt drive and if you look around you will see that Japan and also BMW now have more belt drives.

You don't want to jump on an idea until you know you have it right. The Sportster suspension in my opinion sucks but all HD had to work with was with the offering from Japan. Humm...this might be a case of teaming up with progressive but in the end it does come down to greed of the MOC.

The V-Rod is a good engine and again in my opinion it is in the wrong motorcycle. That engine should be in a cruiser. Still it is a high maintenance engine and that problem needs to be looked into.

I can not see what is wrong with incorporating improvements into the HD line-up. The key is improvements.

CBAS5 26th December 2006 01:32

Quote:

Out of all the bikes I've owned over my life by far the worst suspension has been fitted to HD's.
In my opinion it is so bad it is really only useful for holding the frame up while the bike sits in the dealerships showroom.
I really do think showa is to blame at least partially. The worst suspension I have is not my sportster's, but my Honda civics. I think that Honda suspension has really degraded over the years. I wouldn't be surprised if the suspension is from showa as they are closely tied with it.

4banger 26th December 2006 01:36

I'd like a Harley big really big thumper. The other guys all make some real nice smaller ones. The Buell Blast is very slow and heavy. How about a huge single that had torque, big torque, and wasn't to heavy. I've had alot of big singles, and they are fun. Seems like H.D. could if they wanted but I guess no one would buy one except me. Just dreaming.

CBAS5 26th December 2006 01:43

Quote:

I can not see what is wrong with incorporating improvements into the HD line-up. The key is improvements.
Improvements? Nothing is wrong with improvments. I think my problem is with the word "copy". I bought harley because they don't really copy anything. That's not to say they innovate anything revolutionary, but when they decide to make a high-performance cruiser like a v-rod they don't copy either. The japanese companies tend to copy Harley and without any shame.

I would like improvements. I would welcome a better suspension and brakes. Hell, I would even like more performance stock. However, I would never want Harley to copy anything. I did my research and in the end my money voted for Harley. Improvements yes. Copy no.

xllent01 26th December 2006 01:44

H-D has a nostoligic history that can't be replaced, and the Japs have what? they've been
trying to copy for over 30 yrs with little success.

This sounds more like a bitch fest than anything else.

iBloke 26th December 2006 01:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogbark
..The Sportster suspension in my opinion sucks but all HD had to work with was with the offering from Japan..

The suspension fitted to the S model Sporties was pretty good.

I don't know for sure who it was manafactured by but I assume it was Showa. (correct me if I'm wrong)

It was a big improvement over the regular crap.

oldsporty1 26th December 2006 02:48

just my 2 cents but, Harleys are Harleys there is just something about them that causes you to put up with some little things but you would'nt trade them for any other bike. also if their so bad why are there so many still on the road? how many 10 or 20 year old Hondas do you see on the road?

jwb47 26th December 2006 03:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogbark
Ok, I will try to make my point just one more time.

Not everything Japan or HD does is better. Both come up with great ideas. If they are executed with poor quality control or with cheap material, or with inadequate maintenance procedure then the improvement can be cancelled out and also negative.

Case in point... I have notice that when Japan went to shaft drives most motorcycles were still chain driven. HD went to belt drive and if you look around you will see that Japan and also BMW now have more belt drives.

You don't want to jump on an idea until you know you have it right. The Sportster suspension in my opinion sucks but all HD had to work with was with the offering from Japan. Humm...this might be a case of teaming up with progressive but in the end it does come down to greed of the MOC.

The V-Rod is a good engine and again in my opinion it is in the wrong motorcycle. That engine should be in a cruiser. Still it is a high maintenance engine and that problem needs to be looked into.

your losing points not making them. one more question where do you hide your crack pipe.

milmat1 26th December 2006 03:16

JAP BIKES ARE BORING !!!!

Thats the Bottom line Dudes !!!:smoke

crospo 26th December 2006 05:53

LEGENDS ARE MEASURED IN YEARS NOT SECONDS!Who wants all that plastic crap?