The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® (http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php)
-   Buell Motorcycle Top End (http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Heads coming off - What else should I do? XB9R (http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2073547)

herostar 28th May 2019 18:21

Heads coming off - What else should I do? XB9R
 
Hello everyone!

I had two exhaust studs break off, one in each cylinder head, so I'm going to need to remove the heads to get the broken studs extracted/replaced at a machines shop.

My question for you all: What else should I be doing while the heads are off? I'm not looking to go deep porting/polishing or anything, but am curious if there are "normal" maintenance things I should take care of while everything is off the bike.

FYI this is for a 2003 XB9R

Thanks in advance for your help!

ParrotHead 28th May 2019 18:37

I'd replace the base gaskets also

seajay 28th May 2019 19:05

Any part of the studs sticking out from the heads? If yes, you might be able to remove them with a stud extractor.

60Gunner 28th May 2019 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParrotHead (Post 5751442)
I'd replace the base gaskets also

Probably not necessary especially if you dont disturb the cylinders. If you do it means means pulling at least 1 wrist pin clip per and the wrist pins. Leave the pistons in the cylinders or you're doing rings.
I'd try getting the broken studs out without removing the heads first.

Highly-Dangerous 28th May 2019 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60Gunner (Post 5751455)
Probably not necessary especially if you dont disturb the cylinders. If you do it means means pulling at least 1 wrist pin clip per and the wrist pins. Leave the pistons in the cylinders or you're doing rings.
I'd try getting the broken studs out without removing the heads first.

X2 :iagree

Sprtstr1200s 28th May 2019 20:18

Replace valve springs. Lap the valves see what seats look like.

herostar 28th May 2019 20:56

I'll definitely be replacing gaskets.

The studs broke off just under flush with the heads, so no option to try and remove them without removing the head (trust me, been sitting on this for 5 weeks trying to work a solution that didn't involve pulling the heads...).

What's the reasoning behind replacing the valve springs and lapping the valves?

Bike has ~12k miles on it.

60Gunner 28th May 2019 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by herostar (Post 5751499)
I'll definitely be replacing gaskets.

The studs broke off just under flush with the heads, so no option to try and remove them without removing the head (trust me, been sitting on this for 5 weeks trying to work a solution that didn't involve pulling the heads...).

What's the reasoning behind replacing the valve springs and lapping the valves?

Bike has ~12k miles on it.

You have good valve springs in those heads. He had weaker ones in his `99. I wouldn't mess with the valves either unless you're having an issue like leaky guide seals. In that case maybe test your springs since they're out anyway to do the seals. Lap the valves too since they're already out.

Sprtstr1200s 28th May 2019 21:30

If you have equipment to check such things seat pressures, you find springs (exhaust) have weakened. Also lapping valves by hand can't hurt. Unfortunate you didn't leak down motor before disassembly.

Sprtstr1200s 28th May 2019 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60Gunner (Post 5751502)
You have good valve springs in those heads. He had weaker ones in his `99. I wouldn't mess with the valves either unless you're having an issue like leaky guide seals. In that case maybe test your springs since they're out anyway to do the seals. Lap the valves too since they're already out.

I don't know what shape my springs are in. Haven't opened the motor yet.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:13.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
XL Forum® - Linson Media LLC