Thread: Which Battery?
View Single Post
Old 9th June 2021
Drag Race Champion

Hellbent_4 has a brilliant futureHellbent_4 has a brilliant futureHellbent_4 has a brilliant futureHellbent_4 has a brilliant futureHellbent_4 has a brilliant futureHellbent_4 has a brilliant futureHellbent_4 has a brilliant futureHellbent_4 has a brilliant futureHellbent_4 has a brilliant futureHellbent_4 has a brilliant futureHellbent_4 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
The battery above is still going strong however the terminal connections have loosened up three times now...and I've tried the standard fixes, star washers, thread locker etc. My guess is that the lead terminals get thinner from compression over time and that causes the loosening. (have had that experience wish tab washers on other bikes)
Anyway next time I'll go with a battery that does not require spacers or captive nuts...
I pull my battery in the fall so I get to experience reinstalling it every year.
Two years ago I had a horrible time with the terminals loosening - usually the hot, one time lost the negative bolt (speedo kept reseting).
I think the main problem was the cables vibrating and working the bolts loose.
I wound up forcing the cable against something then tightening it. That way the cable is braced against something solid and wont vibrate.

I've read somewhere on here about getting the more flexible cables can help.
Get one slightly longer to help installations, too.